Chair, Department of Biblical Studies and Theology
Associate Professor of New Testament
Areas of Interest
Jesus and the Gospels, Gospel of John, Jewish Apocalypses, Apocalyptic literature, Jewish Messianism in Second Temple Judaism, the Old Testament in the New Testament, Son of Man, Christology, Revelation, 1-3 John, 1-2 Peter and Jude.
14th Century MacMillan Cross Kilmory Chapel, Kilmory, Scotland
Reviews of Monograph:
- Grant Macaskill, Journal for the Study of the New Testament 31.5 (2009) 69.
Jeffrey L. Staley, Catholic Biblical Quarterly 72 (2010) 160-61.
Anne E. Gardner, Australian Biblical Review 58 (2010).
Rafael Rodríguez, Bulletin for Biblical Research 20.4 (2010).
- "The Perfect-Tense Form and the Son of Man in John 3.13: Developments in Greek Grammar as a Viable Solution to the Timing of the Ascent and Descent," co-authored with Madison N. Pierce, New Testament Studies 60.1 (2014) 149-55.
- "Apocalypticism in the Gospel of John's Written Record of Revelation of Heavenly Things", Early Christianity 4 (2013) 64-95.
- "The Johannine Son of Man and the Historical Jesus: Shall Ever the Twain Meet? John 9:35 as a Test Case", Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus 9.2-3 (2011) 230-242.
- "The 'One Like a Son of Man' According to the Old Greek of Daniel 7,13-14", Biblica 89 (2008) 70-80.
"Another Suggestion for ὡς παλαιὸς ἡμερῶν in the Old Greek of Daniel 7.13", Henoch 30.2 (2008) 94-103.
"The Testimony of Jesus and the Spirit: The 'We' of John 3.11 in its Literary Context", Neotestamentica 41.1 (2007) 157-172.
Essays in Edited Volumes
"The Johannine Son of Man and the Historical Jesus: Shall Ever the Twain Meet? John 9:35 as a Test Case." In John, Jesus, and History, Volume 3: Glimpses of Jesus Through the Johannine Lens. Edited by Paul N. Anderson, Felix Just, S.J., and Tom Thatcher. SBL, forthcoming.
"The 'Eucharistic' Language of John 6 in Biblical and Theological Perspective." In Reconsidering the Relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the New Testament: Essays by Theologians and New Testament Scholars. Edited by Benjamin E. Reynolds, Brian Lugioyo, and Kevin Vanhoozer, 63–82. WUNT II/369; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2014.
"The Relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the Work of Robert H. Gundry." In Reconsidering the Relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the New Testament: Essays by Theologians and New Testament Scholars. Edited by Benjamin E. Reynolds, Brian Lugioyo, and Kevin Vanhoozer, 7–16. WUNT II/369. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2014.
"The Gospel of John and the Jewish Apocalypses: Rethinking the Genre of John's Gospel" in John's Gospel and Intimations of Apocalyptic. Edited by Catrin Williams and Christopher Rowland, 36–57. London: Bloomsbury/T&T Clark, 2013.
"The Otherworldly Mediators in 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch: A Comparison with Angelic Mediators in Ascent Apocalypses and in Daniel, Ezekiel, and Zechariah," in Fourth Ezra and Second Baruch: Reconstruction after the Fall. Papers from the Sixth Enoch Seminar, Milan, Italy, June 26–30, 2011. Edited by Matthias Henze and Gabrielle Boccaccini, 175–193. Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism 164. Leiden: Brill, 2013.
"The Enochic Son of Man and the Apocalyptic Background of the Son of Man Sayings in the Gospel of John." In Parables of Enoch: A Paradigm Shift. Edited by Darrell L. Bock and James H. Charlesworth, 294–314. Jewish and Christian Texts 11. London: Bloomsbury/T&T Clark, 2013.
"The Use of the Son of Man Idiom in John." In 'Who is This Son of Man?' The Latest Scholarship on a Puzzling Expression of the Historical Jesus. Edited by Larry W. Hurtado and Paul L. Owen, 101–129. LNTS 390. London: Continuum/T&T Clark, 2011.
Articles in Reference Works
- "Logos", in Joel Green, et. al., Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels (2nd ed.; Intervarsity Press, 2013), 523-526.
- "Corban", in H.-J. Klauck, B. McGinn, P. Mendes-Flohr, C.-L. Seow, H. Speickermann, E. Ziolkowski, The Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception (Vol. 5; Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2012).
- "Chorazin" and "Cock", in H.-J. Klauck, B. McGinn, P. Mendes-Flohr, C.-L. Seow, H. Speickermann, E. Ziolkowski, The Encyclopedia of the Bible and Its Reception (Vol. 4; Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2012).
- "Faith/Faithfulness", in John J. Collins and Daniel C. Harlow (eds.), The Eerdmans Dictionary of Early Judaism (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010), 627-628.
- Forthcoming: "The Apocalyptic Framework of the Gospel of John," at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting. Joint session of the Wisdom and Apocalypticism Section and the Johannine Literature Section, San Diego 2014.
- "Jesus as Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John," at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, the John, Jesus, and History Group, Baltimore 2013 (Invited).
- Response to Leslie Baynes on the Rich Man and Lazarus and the Parables of Enoch, at the Seventh Enoch Seminar, Camoldoli, Italy, July 21-26, 2013 (Invited).
- "Jewish and Gentile Refugees in the Second Temple Period: A Response to Loren T. Stuckenbruck and Cynthia Long Westfall," at the McMaster Divinity College Bingham Colloquium, June 8, 2013 (Invited).
- "The Johannine Jesus and Angelic Mediators in Jewish Apocalypses," at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, Johannine Literature Section, Chicago 2012.
- "The Otherworldly Mediators in 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch," at the Sixth Enoch Seminar, Gazzada, Italy, June 26-30, 2011.
- "John Among the Apocalypses: Rethinking the Genre of John's Gospel," at 'The Gospel of John and Intimations of Apocalyptic' colloquium held at the University of Bangor, Wales, July 20-22, 2010 (Invited).
- Murphy, Frederick J. Apocalypticism in the Bible and Its World (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2012). Trinity Journal, forthcoming .
- Jones, F. Stanley, ed. The Rediscovery of Jewish Christianity: From Toland to Baur. History of Biblical Studies, vol. 5. (Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2012). Journal of the American Oriental Society, forthcoming .
- Portier-Young, Anathea. Apocalypse Against Empire: Theologies of Resistance in Early Judaism (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2011). Review of Biblical Literature, March 16, 2012.
Daly, Robert J. (ed.), Apocalyptic Thought in Early Christianity (
: Baker Academic, 2009). The Journal of Ecclesiastical Studies 61.3 (2010) 574–75. Grand Rapids
- Thatcher, Tom. Greater than Caesar: Christology and Empire in the Fourth Gospel (Minneapolis: Fortress, 2009). Review of Biblical Literature, Jan 19, 2010.
- Lierman, John (ed.). Challenging Perspectives on the Gospel of John (WUNT II.219; Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2006). In the European Journal of Theology 17.1 (2008) 83-85.
- Barnett, Paul. The Birth of Christianity: The First Twenty Years (Eerdmans, 2005). In the Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology 24.2 (2006) 232-33.
- Dines, Jennifer. The Septuagint (T&T Clark, 2004). Themelios 31.2 (2006) 78-79.
- Pattemore, Stephen. The People of God in the Apocalypse: Discourse, Structure and Exegesis (SNTS.MS 128; Cambridge, 2004). Themelios 31.2 (2006) 93-94.
- Hermeneutics (BSTH 201; Fall)
- Pauline Literature (BSTH 338; Fall)
- Biblical Theological Themes: The Use of Isaiah in the NT (BSTH 440; Fall)
- Christianity and Culture (INDS 475) [Team taught]
- Course information is available for my students at www.myTyndale.ca
- New Testament Scriptures (BSTH 101)
- Matthew (RLGS 341)
- Luke (RLGS 339)
- Johannine Epistles (RLGS 337; NEWT 635)
- Elementary New Testament Greek (GREE 201, 202)
- Readings in New Testament Greek (GREE 301, 302)
- Jesus and the Synoptic Tradition (BSTH 346)
- Second Temple Judaism (BSTH 345)
- Jesus as the Son of Man (BSTH 450; Directed Study)
- Biblical Theological Themes: Jesus the Messiah: Jewish Messianism and NT Christology (BSTH 440)
- Biblical Theological Themes: The Use of Isaiah in the NT (BSTH 440)
- Biblical Theological Themes: New Testament and Jewish Apocalypses (BSTH 440)
- Greek Language I & II (University of Aberdeen, DR1023, DR1524)
- New Testament Texts in Greek 2: Epistles [1 Peter] (University of Aberdeen, DR4046)
- Gospel of John (University of Aberdeen, DR 2022; Ashland Theological Seminary, NT 604/704)
- Introduction to Religious Studies (Lourdes College, THS 101B)
- Divinity United: Resources for Biblical Studies, Theology and the Liberal Arts
- Academia.edu Profile