Tyndale University College & Seminary is a multi-denominational, evangelical university college and seminary that prepares leaders for the ministry, marketplace and global mission of the church. Tyndale invites fully qualified candidates to apply for the following position; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The successful candidates will subscribe to and sign Tyndale's Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
The Accounting Manager supervises the day-to-day operations of the Finance Department and prepares timely and accurate financial statements and analysis for the Controller and Senior Vice President of Finance and Administration. The Manager supports the operations of Tyndale through the financial and accounting services provided to stakeholders.
• Establish and implement short and long-range departmental goals.
• Recruit, develop, motivate, lead, and mentor direct reports.
• Ensure the recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of department team members are based on agreed-upon measurable objectives, and corrective action is taken where necessary.
• Ensure the duties of the department team are carried out in compliance with the department’s and Tyndale’s policies and procedures.
• Create and sustain an environment of excellence and professionalism in customer service and teamwork.
• Manage daily accounting operations including the integrity and structure of General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Cash Receipts, Donations and Restricted Funds.
• Approve and monitor payables, expenditures and cash disbursements to ensure policy compliance, accuracy, timeliness, and cash flow management.
• Validate and approve Cash Receipts Deposits, Donations, Food Services, Bookstore, and Campus Services G/L entries.
• Manage the accounting processes of the Food Services Dept. and subcontracted Food Services Operator.
• Approve recurring journal entries, account reconciliations and HST/GST filings.
• Approve donation processing and reconciliation of G/L and fundraising database Andar.
• Monitor operational cash flow and account balances in order to meet operational needs.
Financial Statement Preparation and Analysis
• Manage month-end accounting close including necessary adjusting journal entries.
• Prepare complete and accurate monthly financial statements and commentary for the Controller and Senior VP, Finance & Administration.
• Perform financial variance analysis of actual performance against budget and projections.
• Prepare quarterly financial statements for partnerships with external institutions.
• Prepare financial reports for restricted donations, endowments, scholarships and bursary funds.
• Ensure reporting compliance with accounting standards and regulatory requirements.
• Develop and maintain financial reports for fundraising activities of the Foundation and provide analysis and statistical information for use in fundraising efforts.
Budget Management, Projections and Forecasting
• Monitor and analyze departmental budget reports; analyze monthly revenue and expense variances.
• Assist the Controller and Department Managers in developing the annual budget.
• Review proposal budgets, budget narratives and budget modifications for accuracy and reasonableness.
• Prepare year-end projections and financial forecasts for future budget planning and year-over-year comparisons.
• Prepare operational cash flow projections.
• Manage Capital Campaign cash flow projections for major gifts & outstanding pledges.
Year-End and Audit Preparation
• Manage year-end closing, including year-end journal entries (e.g. Asset Capitalization & Depreciation, University Revenue and Expense Accruals, etc.).
• Prepare audit schedules, working papers, and account analysis for the external audit in coordination with the Controller.
• Ensure effective internal controls are maintained in response to assessed risk and external audit requirements.
• Perform and document internal audit of Tyndale Bookstore to ensure compliance with external audit directives and accurate financial reporting.
• Perform cash audit of on-hand cash balances, department floats and petty cash funds.
• Liaise with auditors during fieldwork; provide analysis, information and direct requests.
• Support professional and collaborative relationship with the external auditor.
• Prepare T3010 Registered Charity Information Returns for University & Foundation.
• Prepare and file Statistics Canada reports.
• Prepare reports and filings for The U.S. Tyndale Foundation.
• Manage charitable donation receipting and ensure compliance with CRA regulations.
• Prepare faculty research grant reports, profit sharing calculations and invoices.
• Prepare special reports and studies for senior management and department managers.
• Manage Corporate Credit Card and Tyndale policy compliance.
• Assist Controller with development of financial policies and procedures.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration
• Senior level of CPA Professional Education Program completed or CPA designation attained
• Excellent knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices
• Knowledge of fund accounting, charitable operations, financial analysis
• 5+ years progressive accounting and financial reporting experience
• Experience supporting finance and operations leaders in finance activities
• Experience within higher education, charity or not-for-profit sector preferred
• Supervisory experience
• Experience with financial reporting and projects
• Experience using accounting systems (Jenzabar EX ERP software and Andar/360 CRM software, preferred)
Skills and Abilities
• Strong time management skills, ability to meet tight deadlines, including year-end requirements
• Strong analytic, organizational and problem solving abilities
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills, collaborative style, and leadership
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels and excellent oral and written communications
• Ability to work in a team environment and independently; flexible and willing to assist others
• Demonstrated computer software proficiency with MS Office; advanced Excel
• Team oriented with the ability to take initiative and motivate others
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, initiative and a high degree of confidentiality
• Customer Service focus
• A Christian with a keen desire to serve family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to Tyndale’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
Physical and Mental Demands
• General office environment and equipment use (e.g. computer, printer, scan/copy/fax etc.)
• Occasional lifting of heavy items (e.g. files, banker boxes, moving financial records to storage)
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, able to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines
• Flexibility to work fluctuating non-standard business hours, as required
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
For general employment information send your resumé to:
Tyndale University College & Seminary, Human Resources
3377 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M2M 3S4
1-416-226-6620 ext 2103 fax: 1-416-226-6746
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyndale University College & Seminary provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Should you need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation during the interview process are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for interview.