Tyndale University College & Seminary is a multi-denominational, evangelical university college and seminary that prepares leaders for the ministry, marketplace and global mission of the church. Tyndale invites fully qualified candidates to apply for the following position; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The successful candidates will subscribe to and sign Tyndale's Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
As the sole full-time engineer position at Tyndale, the Chief Engineer is responsible for the safe and efficient operations of the heating and cooling systems at Tyndale. This includes hands-on work, supervision of the part-time engineer, responding to emergencies and working with external service providers. As a part of the greater Campus Operations team, this position will ensure smoother operations by working closely with both the Campus Facilities department and the Campus Services department.
Management & Operations
- Primary engineer to operate low-pressure boiler & chiller plant
- Supervision of weekend engineer
- Manage the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning of the entire campus
- Programming and operation of the Building Automation Software (BAS) for safe operation of the automated systems and comfort of the facility
- Document daily routines and safety checks in the log book
- Test and maintain the log book of boiler safety devices, including but not limited to: low water (weekly), high water, high steam pressure, flame scanner cut out (monthly), and correct operation of the manual boiler reset and audio & visual alarm
- Perform scheduled equipment inspections (daily rounds), filter and belt changes, pump/motor oiling
- Ensure compliance with policies/procedures and related laws & legislations
- Respond to service calls and emergencies during weekends
- Be on-call after-hours & on weekends; must be equipped with emergency paging device to respond to emergency alarm
- Liaising with external contractors regarding HVAC service and equipment
Administration & Finance
- Assist with budget planning related to utilities, heating and cooling
- Track, analyze & report on all projects, costs & services related to HVAC (including the boiler/ chiller plant and utilities)
- Ensure staff performance evaluations are completed & performance goals are set
- In consultation with the Manager of Campus Operations, review and make recommendations to policy & procedure manuals for engineering and boiler room
- Research, analyze, monitor and negotiate equipment & service for all HVAC contracts, in consultation with the Manager of Campus Operations.
Maintenance and Facilities Support
- Provide support to Campus Facilities’ help desk requests (duties includes but not limited to repairs of lighting, furniture, walls, plumbing work, basic electrical etc.)
- Assist Campus Facilities in emergency response situations
- Assist with setups, teardowns and office moves
Other duties as assigned in compliance with the Campus Operation and Health & Safety policies and procedures
- Requires fourth class stationary engineer’s certificate.
- Undergraduate degree or diploma; or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 2 years experience with steam heating boilers and associated water treatment systems.
- Ability to take initiative and troubleshoot.
- Detail oriented with the ability to follow routines.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, internet and e-mail.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety practices.
- Supervisory experience.
- Exposure to operations, maintenance, HVAC, mechanical, plumbing and electrical equipment and systems.
- Work as emergency contact during weeknights and weekends.
- Completed training in WHIMIS, Health and Safety and lockout tagout an asset.
- First Aid and CPR training.
- Experience in an Institutional environment an asset.
- Experience in Building Automatic Software
For general employment information send your resumé to:
Tyndale University College & Seminary, Human Resources
3377 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M2M 3S4
1-416-226-6620 ext 2103 fax: 1-416-226-6746
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyndale University College & Seminary provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Should you need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation during the interview process are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for interview.