This page is designed to help make writings on and by Lesslie Newbigin available to those without easy access to a theological library. These texts complement the large selection of on-line Newbigin texts at Newbigin.Net materials. Most of the links below connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Importantly, Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW). The Google Book Project also makes hard to find and expensive monographs readily accessible to researchers.
Books by Newbigin
- The Light Has Come: An Exposition of the Fourth Gospel. Eerdmans, 1982.
- Foolishness to the Greeks: The Gospel and Western Culture. Eerdmans, 1986.
- The Gospel in a Pluralist Society. Eerdmans, 1989.
- Truth to tell the Gospel as public truth: The Gospel as Public Truth. Eerdmans, 1991.
- Proper Confidence: Faith, Doubt, and Certainty in Christian Discipleship. Eerdmans, 1995.
- The Open Secret: An Introduction to the Theology of Mission. Rev'd ed. Eerdmans, 1995.
- Truth and Authority in Modernity. Gracewing, 1996.
- Signs Amid the Rubble: The Purposes of God in Human History. Geoffrey Wainwright, ed. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Lesslie Newbigin: Missionary Theologian: A Reader. Paul Weston, ed. Eerdmans, 2006 (also copy).
- Discovering Truth in a Changing World. Alpha International, 2003.
- Living Hope in a Changing World. Alpha International, 2003.
Articles Written by Newbigin
See large selection of on-line texts at Newbigin.Net.
- Reaction to the Toronto Statement , in: The Ecumenical Movement: An Anthology of Key Texts and Voices. M. Kinnamon and B.E. Cope, eds. Eerdmans, 1997. P. 470.
- The Missionary Dimension of the Ecumenical Movement  in: The Ecumenical Movement: An Anthology of Key Texts and Voices. M. Kinnamon and B.E. Cope, eds. Eerdmans, 1997. Pp. 343-346.
- What is "a Local Church Truly United"?, in: The Ecumenical Movement: An Anthology of Key Texts and Voices. M. Kinnamon and B.E. Cope, eds. Eerdmans, 1997. Pp. 114-122.
- Teaching Religion in a Secular Pluralistic Society, in: New Directions in Religious Education. John Hull, ed. Routledge, 1982. Pp. 97-108.
- Truth and Authority in Modernity, in: Faith and Modernity. P. Sampson, C. Sugden, V. Samuel, eds. OCMS, 1995. Pp. 60-88 (see also copy).
- Evangelism in the Context of Secularization, in: The Study of Evangelism: Exploring a Missional Practice of the Church, P.W. Chilcote, L.C. Warner, eds. Eerdmans, 2008. Ch. 4, pp. 46-55.
- Foolishness to the Greeks [excerpt], in: The Study of Evangelism: Exploring a Missional Practice of the Church, P.W. Chilcote, L.C. Warner, eds. Eerdmans, 2008. Ch. 24, pp. 345-351.
- The Trinity as a Public Truth, in: The Trinity in a Pluralistic Age: Theological Essays on Culture and Religion. K.J. Vanhoozer, ed. Eerdmans, 1997. Pp. 1-8.
- ... under construction
Books on Newbigin
- Goheen, Michael. "As the Father Has Sent Me, I Am Sending You": J. E. Lesslie Newbigin’s Missionary Ecclesiology. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Utrecht, 2000. Pp. 496
- Hunsberger, George. Bearing the Witness of the Spirit: Lesslie Newbigin's Theology of Cultural Plurality. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Wainwright, Geoffrey. Lesslie Newbigin: A Theological Life. Oxford, 2000.
Articles, Chapters on Newbigin
See selection of papers (mixed in with primary documents) on Newbigin's thought at Newbigin.Net).
- Fitz-Gibbon, Andrew. A Re-Telling of Protestant Neo-Orthodoxy, in: In the World, But Not of the World: Christian Social Thinking at the End of the Twentieth Century. Lexington, 2000. Pp. 97-126.
- Hunsberger, George. The Newbigin Gauntlet: Developing a Domestic Missiology for North America, in: The Church Between Gospel and Culture: The Emerging Mission in North America. G.R. Hunsberger and C. Van Gelder, eds. Eerdmans, 1996. Pp. 3-25.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti. Lesslie Newbigin: The Gospel as Public Truth, in: An Introduction to the Theology of Religions: Biblical, Historical, and Contemporary Perspectives. InterVarsity, 2003. Ch. 27, pp. 245-255.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti. Lesslie Newbigin: Missionary Ecclesiology, in: An Introduction to Ecclesiology: Ecumenical, Historical & Global Perspectives. Intervarsity, 2002. Pp. 151-159.
- Hoedemaker, L.A. A Conversation with Lesslie Newbigin, in: Secularization and Mission: A Theological Essay. Gracewing, 1998. Ch. 5, 42-52.
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet -- links to many very good articles on Newbigin).
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database --approx. 100 full-text articles on Newbigin-- for Tyndale students and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.
- ... under construction
PhD Theses on Newbigin
Foust, Thomas F. Christology, Restoration, Unity: An Exploration of the Missiological Appraoch to Modern Western Culture According to Lesslie Newbigin and Dean E. Walker . Ph.D. thesis, University of Birmingham, 2002 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.288423).
Weston, Paul. Mission and Cultural Change: A Critical Engagement with the Writings of Lesslie Newbigin. Ph.D. thesis, King's College London (University of London), 2002 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.270225).
Kandiah, Krish. Towards a Theology of Evangelism for Late Modern Cultures: A Critical Dialogue with Lesslie Newbigin's Doctrine of Revelation. Ph.D. thesis, King's College London (University of London), 2005 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.421853).