This page is designed to help make writings on Spiritual Formation available to those without easy access to a theological library. Most links connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Importantly, Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW). The Google Book Project also makes hard to find and expensive monographs readily accessible to researchers. This Reading Room collects those relevant materials on one page.
NB: For screen snapshots, bibliographic management and notetaking while reading this page, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources")
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Handbooks of Christian Spirituality
- Blackwell Companion to Christian Spirituality. Arthur G. Holder, ed. Blackwell, 2005.
- Handbook of Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Performance. Robert A. Giacalone, Carole L. Jurkiewicz, eds. M.E. Sharpe, 2005.
- Handbook of Spirituality for Ministers: Perspectives for the 21st Century. Robert J. Wicks, ed. Paulist, 2000.
- Bradshaw, Paul F. New Westminster Dictionary of Liturgy and Worship. Westminster John Knox Press, 2002 (see also SCM Copy).
- New Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Philip Sheldrake, ed. Westminster John Knox, 2005
- SCM Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Gordon S. Wakefield. SCM, 2003. Mirror copy: The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Westminster John Knox, 1983.
- Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices that Transform us. Adele Ahlberg Calhoun. InterVarsity, 2006.
Keeping a Spiritual Journal
- Budd, Luann. Journal Keeping: Writing for Spiritual Growth. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Hauser, Richard J. Keeping a Spiritual Journal, Moving in the Spirit: Becoming a Contemplative in Action. Paulist Press, 1986 (ch. V).
- Klug, Ron. How to Keep a Spiritual Journal: A Guide to Journal Keeping for Inner Growth and Personal Discovery. 2nd ed. Augsburg, 2002.
- Shaw, Luci. Life Path: Personal and Spiritual Growth Through Journal Writing. Regent College, 2004.
- Stockton, Sarah. A Pen and a Path: Writing as a Spiritual Practice. Morehouse, 2005.
Lectio Divina: The Art of Spiritual (Contemplative) Reading
- Hall, Thelma. Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina. Paulist, 1988.
- Foster, David. Reading with God: Lectio Divina. Continuum, 2005.
Peterson, Eugene H. Eat this Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading. Eerdmans, 2006.
- Barth, Karl. Prayer. 50th Anniv. Ed. Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
- Boers, Arthur P. The Rhythm of God's Grace: Uncovering Morning and Evening Hours of Prayer. Paraclete, 2003.
- Grenz ,Stanley J. Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom. Revised. Eerdmans, 2005 (see also other edition).
- Johnson, Jan. Prayer & Listening: 6 Studies with Notes for Leaders. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Raab, Christian, et al. The Tradition of Catholic Prayer: The Monks of Saint Meinrad Archabbey. Liturgical, 2007.
- Yancey, Philip. Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? Zondervan, 2006.
- (Note: see other volumes on this page for chapters on prayer)
- Bloesch, Donald G. Spirituality Old & New: Recovering Authentic Spiritual Life. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Cunningham, Lawrence and Keith J. Egan. Christian Spirituality: Themes from the Tradition Paulist, 1996.
- Downey, Michael. Understanding Christian Spirituality. Paulist Press, 1997.
- Dreyer, Elizabeth D., and Mark S. Burrows, eds. Minding the Spirit: The Study of Christian Spirituality. JHU Press, 2005.
- McGrath, Alister. Christian Spirituality: An Introduction. Blackwell, 1999.
- Pagitt, Doug. Reimagining Spiritual Formation: A Week in the Life of an Experimental Church. Zondervan, 2004; also: Church Re-imagined: The Spiritual Formation of People in Communities of Faith. Zondervan, 2005.
- Perrin, David Brian. Studying Christian Spirituality. Routledge, 2007.
- Smith, Karen. Christian Spirituality. SCM-Canterbury, 2007.
History of Christian Spirituality
- McGinn, Bernard and John Meyendorff, eds.Christian Spirituality: Origins to the Twelfth Century; Christian Spirituality: High Middle Ages and Reformation. Jill Raitt, Taylor & Francis, 1987.
- Aumann, Jordan. Christian Spirituality in the Catholic Tradition. 2nd ed. Ignatius, 1985.
- Holt, Bradley P. Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality. 2nd ed. Fortress, 2005.
- Jones, Paul W. Trumpet at Full Moon: An Introduction to Christian Spirituality As Diverse Practice. Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- Lane, George. Christian Spirituality: A Historical Sketch. Loyola Press, 2005.
- Mursell, Gordon, ed. The Story of Christian Spirituality: Two Thousand Years, from East to West. Fortress, 2001; also Mursell, English Spirituality: From 1700 to the Present. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Sheldrake, Philip. A Brief History of Spirituality. Blackwell, 2007.
Classic Texts in Christian Spirituality
- (For a brief guide, Peterson, Eugene H. Take and Read: Spiritual Reading : an Annotated List. Eerdmans, 1996).
- Kannengiesser, Charles. Early Christian Spirituality. Augsburg, 1986.
- See the many volumes of primary sources: Classics of Western Spirituality by Paulist Press.
... under construction
"Contemporary Classics" in Christian Spirituality
- Merton, Thomas. The Ascent to Truth. Continuum, 1976.
- Peterson, Eugene H. Subversive Spirituality. Eerdmans, 1997; Eat this Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading Eerdmans, 2006; Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology. Eerdmans, 2005. The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Thompson, Marjorie. Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life. Westminster John Knox, 1995.
- ... under construction
Other Texts in Spirituality
- Alexander, Donald, ed. Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification.By Way of the Heart: Toward a Holistic Christian Spirituality. Paulist, 1990.
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God's Transforming Presence. InterVarsity, 2004; also Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Boa, Kenneth. Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation. Zondervan, 2001.
- Harris, John Glyndwr. Christian Theology: The Spiritual Tradition. Sussex Academic, 2001.
- Carlson, Gregory et al. Perspectives on Children's Spiritual Formation: Four Views. B&H, 2007.
- Dorr, Dona. Faith at Work: A Spirituality of Leadership. Liturgical, 2007.
- Fides, Paul. Under the Rule of Christ: Dimensions of Baptist Spirituality. Smyth & Helwys, 2007.
- Hammett, Edward H. Reframing Spiritual Formation: Discipleship in an Unchurched Culture. Smyth & Helwys Publishing, 2002.
- Issler, Klaus. Wasting Time with God: A Christian Spirituality of Friendship with God. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Hanson, Bradley. A Graceful Life: Lutheran Spirituality for Today. Augsburg, 1999.
- Hope, Sue. Mission-shaped Spirituality: The Transforming Power of Mission. Church House Publishing, 2006.
- Jones, Tony. The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life. Zondervan, 2005.
- Leonard, Bill J. Becoming Christian: Dimensions of Spiritual Formation. Westminster John Knox, 1990.
- Millar, Peter. An Iona Prayer Book. SCM-Canterbury, 1998.
- Moine de l'Eglise d'Orient. Orthodox Spirituality: An Outline of the Orthodox Ascetical and Mystical Tradition. St Vladimir's Seminary, 1996.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. InterVarsity, 1993; The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Muldoon, Tim. The Ignatian Workout: Daily Spiritual Exercises for a Healthy Faith. Loyola, 2004.
- Pettit, Paul, ed. Foundations of Spiritual Formation: A Community Approach to Becoming Like Christ. Kregel, 2008.
- Rice, Howard L. Reformed Spirituality: An Introduction for Believers. Westminster John Knox, 1991.
Springsted, Eric O. Spirituality and Theology: Essays in Honor of Diogenes Allen. Westminster John Knox, 1998.
Spirituality and Social Justice
- Battle, Michael. Blessed are the Peacemakers: A Christian Spirituality of Nonviolence. Mercer University Press, 2004.
- Campolo, Tony and Mary Albert Darling. The God of Intimacy and Action: Reconnecting Ancient Spiritual Practices, Evangelism, and Justice. Wiley, 2007.
- Hart, Lawrence D. Hell's Abyss, Heaven's Grace: War and Christian Spirituality. Cowley, 2006.
- Jones,L. Gregory and James Joseph Buckley. Spirituality and Social Embodiment. Blackwell, 1997.
- Weaver-Zercher, David and William H. Willimon, eds. Vital Christianity: Reconnecting Spirituality and Social Justice. Continuum, 2005.
Spiritual Direction, Friendship and Mentoring
- Anderson, Keith and Randy D. Reese. Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking and Giving Direction. InterVarsity, 1999.
- Benedict, Benedictus Nursinus. The Benedictine Handbook. SCM-Canterbury, 2003; see also Wil Derkse, The Rule of Benedict for Beginners: Spirituality for Daily Life. M. Kessler, trans. Liturgical, 2003.
- Benner, David G.B. Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction. InterVarsity, 2004.
- Bidwell, Duane R. Short-Term Spiritual Guidance: A Contemporary Approach to a Classic Discipline, Creative Pastoral Care and Counseling. Fortress, 2004.
- Boers, Arthur P. The Way Is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Caliguire, Mindy. Spiritual Friendship. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment. Paulist, 1995.
- Edwards, Tilden. Spiritual Director, Spiritual Companion: Guide to Tending the Soul. Paulist, 2001; also Spiritual Friend: Reclaiming the Gift of Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 1980.
- Fischer, Kathleen R. Women at the Well: Feminist Perspectives on Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 1988.
- Fraser, Dahlia. Spiritual Direction - A Brief Introduction (Tyndale, 2008)
- Land, Steven Jack. Pentecostal Spirituality: A Passion for the Kingdom. Continuum, 1993.
- Leech, Kenneth. Soul Friend: Spiritual Direction in the Modern World. Morehouse, 2001.
- Merton, Thomas. Spiritual Direction and Meditation. Liturgical, 1960.
- Michael, Chester P. An Introduction to Spiritual Direction: A Psychological Approach for Directors and Directees. Paulist, 2003.
- Moon, Gary W. David G. Benner. Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls: A Guide to Christian Approaches and Practices. InterVarsity, 2004.
- Nemeck, Francis Kelly and M.T. Coombs. The Way of Spiritual Direction. Liturgical, 1993.
- Peterson, Eugene H. Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness. Eerdmans, 1994.
- Reiser, William E. Seeking God in All Things: Theology and Spiritual Direction. Liturgical, 2004.
- Ruffing, Janet. Spiritual Direction: Beyond the Beginnings. Paulist, 2000.
- Stairs, Jean. Listening for the Soul: Pastoral Care and Spiritual Direction. Fortress, 2000.
- Vest, Norvene, ed. Still Listening: New Horizons in Spiritual Direction. Morehouse Publishing, 2000.
- Zimmerling, Peter. Evangelische Spiritualität: Wurzeln und Zugänge. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2003.
Christian Spirituality Webpages
- Toward a Definition of Spiritual Formation (J. Greenman and D. Goertz)
- Spirituality -Theology Library, Spring Hill College (Jesuits)
- Internet Theology Resources: Spirituality
- Sites Devoted to Christian Spirituality
- Christian Spirituality(online resources)
- On-line Resources to Medieval Spirituality
- Spiritual Formation Resources, Theooze.com
- Spiritual Formation and Direction
- Spirituality and Faith Resources
- Missional Spirituality
- Early Church Fathers
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
- Renovaré - Richard Foster et al
- The Henri J.M. Nouwen Archives and Research Collection (University of St. Micheal's College, Toronto)
- Spiritual Formation Links (Wheaton College)
- Taizé Community
- Northumbria Community (New Monasticism)
- Dallas Willard - Articles
- Who's Who in Western Mysticism
- Conversations: Forum for Authentic Transformation
- Liturgy of the Hours/Divine Office/Breviary
- The Making of The Christian: Christianity Today interview with Richard Foster and Dallas Willard on the Difference between Spiritual Formation and Discipleship.
- Mother Teresa's Crisis of Faith", Time, August 23, 2007 (Print version - Canadian edition, Sept 3, 2007).
Tyndale's Spiritual Formation Programs