Christian Ethics: Dictionaries and Encyclopedia
- Byrne, Peter, and Leslie Houlden, eds. "Practical Theology." In Companion Encyclopedia of Theology. Taylor & Francis, 1995. Part V, ch. 33-40, pp. 687-870 (for Tyndale community only).
- Childress, James F. The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Ethics. Westminster John Knox, 1986 (for Tyndale community only).
- Gill, Robin, ed. The Cambridge Companion to Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 2001;
- Grenz, Stanley, and Jay T. Smith. Pocket Dictionary of Ethics. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Hauerwas, Stanley, and Samuel Wells, eds. The Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics. 3rd ed. Blackwell, 2007.
- Werpehowski, William, and Gilbert Meilaender, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Theological Ethics. Oxford, 2007 (also full-text ebook for Tyndale community).
- See more general theological dictionaries and encyclopedia in our Christian Theology Reading Room.
General Introductions / Readers in Christian Ethics
See also Google Books: "Christian Ethics" books with "preview" arranged by date.
Tyndale students: full-text ebooks in Christian Ethics here, with links.
- Aguzzi, Stephen D. "Suffering Redeemed: A Reformed Argument Against Physician Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia." Theology Matters 17, no. 2 (Mar/Apr 2011): 1-10.
- Ahearn, David Oki and Peter R. Gathje, eds. Doing Right and Being Good: Catholic and Protestant Readings in Christian Ethics. Liturgical, 2005.
- Banner, Michael C. Christian Ethics and Contemporary Moral Problems. Cambridge, 1999.
- Barth, Karl (see also Tyndale`s Karl Barth Page for more on-line resources). The Holy Spirit and the Christian Life: The Theological Basis of Ethics. R. Birch Hoyle, trans. Westminster John Knox Press, 1993; see also important secondary sources: Daniel Migliore, ed. Commanding Grace: Studies in Karl Barth's Ethics. Eermans, 2010; John Webster, Barth`s Ethics of Reconciliation. Cambridge, 1995.
- Bartholomew, Craig et al, eds. A Royal Priesthood? The Use of the Bible Ethically and Politically. Zondervan, 2002.
- Barton, John. Understanding Old Testament Ethics: Approaches and Explorations. Westminster John Knox, 2003.
- Birch, Bruce C. Let Justice Roll Down: The Old Testament, Ethics, and Christian Life. Westminster John Knox, 1991 (see also copy); What Does the Lord Require? The Old Testament Call to Social Witness. Westminster John Knox, 1985.
- Birch, Bruce C., and Larry L. Rasmussen. Bible and Ethics in the Christian Life. Revised ed. Fortress, 1989.
- Bloomquist, Karen L., and John R. Stumme. The Promise of Lutheran Ethics. Fortress, 1998.
- Boff, Leonardo. Essential Care: An Ethics of Human Nature. Tr. A. Guilherme. Baylor, 2008. Full-text available to Tyndale students).
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Ethics. Wayne W. Floyd, trans. Fortress, 1996. See also Tyndale`s Dietrich Bonhoeffer Reading Room of resources; also H.E. Tödt, Authentic Faith: Bonhoeffer`s Theological Ethics in Context. D. Stassen and I. Tödt, trans. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Boulton, Wayne G., T. D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. Eerdmans, 1994.
- Braaten, Carl E. and Christopher R. Seitz, eds. I Am the Lord Your God: Christian Reflections on the Ten Commandments. Eerdmans, 2005.
- Bretherton, Luke. Hospitality as Holiness: Christian Witness Amid Moral Diversity. Ashgate, 2006 (related: Christine D. Pohl, Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition. Eerdmans, 1999).
- Brock, Brian. Singing the Ethos of God: On the Place of Christian Ethics in Scripture. Eerdmans, 2007; Christian Ethics in a Technological Age. Eerdmans, 2010.
- Brown, William P. The Ten Commandments: The Reciprocity of Faithfulness. John Knox Press, 2004.
- Browning, Don S. Christian Ethics and the Moral Psychologies. Eerdmans, 2006 (other copy).
- Brunner, Emil. The Divine Imperative: A Study in Christian Ethics. Olive Wyon, trans. James Clarke Co., 2002.
- Burridge, Richard A. Imitating Jesus: An Inclusive Approach to New Testament Ethics. Eerdmans Publishing, 2007.
- Childs, James M. Ethics in the Community of Promise: Faith, Formation, and Decision. 2nd ed. Fortress, 2006 (see also first edition).
- Cosgrove, Charles H. Appealing to Scripture in Moral Debate: Five Hermeneutical Rules. Eerdmans, 2002.
- Fedler, Kyle D. Exploring Christian Ethics: Biblical Foundations for Morality. John Knox, 2006.
- Fitz-Gibbon, Andrew L. In the World, But Not of the World: Christian Social Thinking at the End of the Twentieth Century. Lexington, 2000.
- Gill, Robin. Christian Ethics in Secular Worlds. Continuum, 2004; Moral Leadership in a Postmodern Age. Continuum, 1997; A Textbook of Christian Ethics, 3rd ed., 4th ed. (copy).
- Gorringe, Timothy. A Theology of the Built Environment: Justice, Empowerment, Redemption. Cambridge, 2002.
- Grenz, Stanley J. The Moral Quest: Foundations of Christian Ethics. InterVarsity, 2000.
- Gushee, David P. In the Fray: Contesting Christian Public Ethics, 1994-2013. Wipf and Stock, 2014 (copy).
- Gushee, David P. The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center. Baylor, 2008 (see also Stassen and Gushee below).
- Gushee, David P., ed. A New Evangelical Manifesto. A Kingdom Vision for the Common Good. Chalice, 2012.
- Gustafson, James M. Ethics from a Theocentric Perspective: Ethics and Theology. University of Chicago, 1992; Protestant and Roman Catholic Ethics: Prospects for Rapprochement. Univ. of Chicago, 1980; Can Ethics Be Christian? Univ. of Chicago, 19776; Christ and the Moral Life. Univ. of Chicago, 1979; An Examined Faith: The Grace of Self-doubt. Fortress, 2004.
- Hauerwas, Stanley.The Hauerwas Reader. John Berkman, Michael G. Cartwright, eds. Duke, 2001. For a fuller listing of Hauerwas`s writings online, cf. my Stanley Hauerwas Reading Room.
- Horrell, David G. Solidarity and Difference: A Contemporary Reading of Paul`s Ethics. Continuum, 2005.
- Hoose, Bernard. Christian Ethics: An Introduction. Continuum, 2000.
- Janzen, Waldemar. Old Testament Ethics: A Paradigmatic Approach. Westminster John Knox, 1994. [Recommended by ANF]
- Jensen, Joseph. Ethical Dimensions of the Prophets. Liturgical, 2006.
- Jersild, Paul T. Spirit Ethics: Scripture and the Moral Life. Fortress, 2000.
- Jones, L. Gregory. Embodying Forgiveness: A Theological Analysis. Eerdmans, 1995.
- Kaiser, Walter C. Toward Old Testament Ethics. Zondervan, 1991.
- Kotva, Joseph J. The Christian Case for Virtue Ethics. Georgetown, 1997.
- Lazareth, William H. Christians in Society: Luther, the Bible, and Social Ethics. Fortress, 2001.
- McCann, Dennis, and Patrick D. Miller, eds. In Search of the Common Good. Continuum, 2005.
- McAuliffe, Patricia. Fundamental Ethics: A Liberationist Approach. Georgetown, 1993.
- Melchin, Kenneth R. Living with Other People: An Introduction to Christian Ethics Based on Bernard Lonergan. Liturgical, 1998.
- Messer, Neil. Going by the Book: The Bible and Christian Ethics. Canterbury, 2006.
- Moltmann, Jürgen. Moltmann is a Systematic Theologian for whom ethical concerns are always in the forefront. See extensive primary and secondary literature in Tyndale's online Moltmann Reading Room.
- Murphy, Nancey C. (with G. Ellis). On the Moral Nature of the Universe: Theology, Cosmology, and Ethics. Fortress, 1996.
- Neville, David, and Philip Matthews. Faith and Freedom: Christian Ethics in a Pluralist Culture. Australian Theological Forum Press, 2003.
- Niebuhr, H. Richard. The Responsible Self: An Essay in Christian Moral Philosophy. Westminster John Knox, 1999; see also: William Werpehowski, American Protestant Ethics and the Legacy of H. Richard Niebuhr. Georgetown, 2002.
- Niebuhr, Reinhold. Moral Man and Immoral Society: A Study in Ethics and Politics. Westminster John Knox, 2002.
- Ogletree, Thomas W. The Use of the Bible in Christian Ethics: A Constructive Essay. Westminster John Knox, 2004; The World Calling: The Church`s Witness in Politics and Society. Westminster John Knox, 2004.
- Ramsey, Paul. Basic Christian Ethics. Forward by Stanley Hauerwas. Westminster John Knox, 1993; The Essential Paul Ramsey: A Collection, edited by W. Werpehowski, S. D. Crocco. Yale, 1994.
- Rasmussen, Larry L. Moral Fragments and Moral Community: A Proposal for Church in Society. Fortress, 1993.
- Rodd, Cyril S. Glimpses of a Strange Land: Studies in Old Testament Ethics. Continuum, 2001.
- Rogerson, John W., and M. Davies eds. The Bible in Ethics: the Second Sheffield Colloquium. Continuum, 1995.
- Rudman, Stanley. Concepts of Person and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1997.
- Schaeffer, Hans. Createdness and Ethics: The Doctrine of Creation and Theological Ethics in the Theology of Colin E. Gunton and Oswald Bayer. DeGruyter, 2006.
- Schweiker, William. Responsibility and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1999.
- Schwehn, Mark R., and Dorothy C. Bass, eds. Leading Lives that Matter: What we Should do and who we Should Be. Eerdmans, 2006.
- Sedgwick, Timothy F. The Christian Moral Life: Practices of Piety. Eerdmans, 1999.
- Shults, LeRon, and Brent Waters, ed. Christology and Ethics. Eerdmans, 2010.
- Siker, Jeffrey S. Scripture and Ethics: Twentieth-century Portraits. Oxford, 1997 (also available in full-text for Tyndale community).
- Sider, Ronald J. Evangelism and Social Action: Uniting the Church to Heal a Lost and Broken World. OCMS, 1993 (see also Evanglism, Salvation and Social Justice: Definitions and Interrelationships ; Christian Ethics and the Good News of the Kingdom, in: Proclaiming Christ in Christ`s Way: Studies in Integral Evangelism. Vinay Samuel et al., eds. OCMS, 2006. Ch. 8, pp. 122-143. Secondary Source: J. Fetzer and G.S. Carnes. Dr. Ron Sider: Mennonite Environmentalist on the Evangelical Left, in: Religious Leaders and Faith-based Politics: Ten Profiles. J.R. Formicola and H. Morken. Rowman & Littlefield, 2001. Ch. 8.
- Sleeper, C. Freeman. The Bible and the Moral Life. John Knox, 1992.
- Spohn, William C. What are they saying about Scripture and Ethics? Paulist Press, 1995.
- Stassen, Glen, and David Gushee. Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Swartley, Willard M. Covenant of Peace: The Missing Peace in New Testament Theology and Ethics. Eerdmans, 2006 (also copy).
- Thielicke, Helmut. Theologische Ethik, vol. I/I: Mensch und Welt, 5th ed. Mohr Siebeck.
- Traina, Cristina L.H. Feminist Ethics and Natural Law: The End of the Anathemas. Georgetown University Press, 1999.
- Verhey, Allen. Remembering Jesus: Christian Community, Scripture, and the Moral Life. Eerdmans, 2005; The Great Reversal: Ethics and the New Testament. Eerdmans, 1984; "Able to Instruct One Another": The Church as a Community of Moral Discourse," in The Community of the Word: Toward an Evangelical Ecclesiology, edited by M. Husbands and D.J. Treier, 146-172. InterVarsity, 2005.
- Wadell, Paul J. Happiness and the Christian Moral Life: An Introduction to Christian Ethics. Rowman & Littlefield, 2007.
- Waters, Brent. From Human to Posthuman: Christian Theology and Technology in a Postmodern World. Ashgate, 2006. (full-text ebook for Tyndale community)
- Wells, Samuel. Christian Ethics: An Introductory Reader. John Wiley, 2010.
- White, Reginald Ernest Oscar. Christian Ethics, 2nd ed. Gracewing, 1994.
- Wiebe, Ben. Messianic Ethics: Jesus` Proclamation of the Kingdom of God and the Church`s Response. Herald Press, 1992 (full text available for Tyndale students).
- Wogaman, J. Philip. Christian Ethics: A Historical Introduction. Westminster John Knox, 1993 [note: full text available for Tyndale]; (with D.M. Strong, eds.), Readings in Christian Ethics: A Historical Sourcebook. Westminster John Knox, 1996.
- Yoder, John Howard. The Politics of Jesus: Vicit Agnus Noster. 2nd ed. Eerdmans, 1994; For the Nations: Essays Evangelical and Public. Eerdmans, 1997; "The Authority of Tradition," in From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. W.G. Boulton, et al., eds. Eerdmans, 1994. Pp. 91-101 (from Yoder, The Priestly Kingdom). See also the John Howard Yoder Reading Room.
Special Issues in Christian Ethics
- Tyndale students are encouraged to use Tyndale library`s extensive ebook resources in Christian ethics (with full-text). Click for a list of Christian ethics texts (pp. 32-39; same categories as below) available via Tyndale's Ebsco database. See also the eBrary database.
- New Studies in Christian Ethics. Cambridge University Press (extensive series in Christian ethics; most also available in full-text with Tyndale`s eBrary ebook resources).
- NB: Many of the text and issues below will straddle more than one category (e.g., one issue could simultaneously be one of "justice", "ecology", "peace" and "economics").
Assisted Suicide / Physician Assisted Dying
Canadian Context: Supreme Court of Canada Judgment, "Carter v. Canada (Attorney General), 2015 SCC 5," Feb 6, 2015.
- Bailey Stoneking, Carole. "Receiving Communion: Euthanasia, Suicide and Letting Die." In The Blackwell Companion to Christian Ethics, 3rd ed., edited by S. Hauerwas & S. Wells, ch. 28, 375-387. Blackwell, 2007.
- Boer, Theo. "Recurring Themes in the Debate about Euthansia and Assisted Suicide." Journal of Religious Ethics 35, no. 3 (Aug 2007): 529-555.
- Boulton, Wayne G., T. D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. "Case Study 5: Three Contexts for Moral Discourse." In From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics, 407. Eerdmans, 1994 (case study makes reference to Meilaender, Cahill and Hauerwas readings).
- Childress, James F. "Christian Ethics, medicine and genetics." In The Cambridge Companion to Christian Ethics, edited by R. Gill, 270ff. Cambridge, 2001. See also Childress, "Religious Viewpoints," in Regulating how We Die: The Ethical, Medical, and Legal Issues Surrounding Physician-assisted Suicide, ed. L. Emanuel, 120-150. Harvard, 1998.
- Cloutier, David. "The Pressure to Die: Reconceiving the Shape of Christian Life in the Face of Physician Assisted Suicide." In Growing Old in Christ, ed. S. Hauerwas, 247-266. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Dyck, Arthur J. "The Moral Bases of Homicide Law: The Moral Case Against Assisted Suicide." Rethinking Rights and Responsibilities: The Moral Bonds of Community, 241-279. Georgetown, 2005 (also Life's Worth: The Case Against Asssited Suicide. Eerdmans, 2002).
- Fernandes, Ashley K. Euthanasia, Assisted Suicide, and the Philosophical Anthropology of Karol Wojtyla. Ph.D. dissertation, Georgetown University, 2008.
- Gill, R. A Textbook of Christian Ethics, 3rd ed., 344, 355, 377. A. & C. Black, 2006.
- Gushee, D., and G. Stassen. "Valuing Life at its End." In Kingdom Ethics: Following Jesus in Contemporary Context, 237-251, esp. 248ff. IVP, 2003.
- Hauerwas, S., with C. Pinches. "Practicing Patience: How Christians Should be Sick." In The Hauerwas Reader, 348-360.
- Hauerwas, S., with R. Bondi. "Memory, Community and the Reasons for Living: Reflections on Suicide and Euthansia (1976)." In The Hauerwas Reader, 577-595. Duke University, 2001.
- Hill, Mike. "Physician Assisted Suicide." In At the End of the Day: Church of England Perspectives on End of Life Issues, 20-37. Church House Publ., 2014.
- Kilner, John F. Life on the Line: Ethics, Aging, Ending Patients' Lives, and Allocating Vital Resources. Eerdmans, 1992.
- Lamers, S., and A. Verhey, eds. On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Lauritzen, Paul. "Adequate Images and Evil Imaginations: Ethnography, Ethics and the End of Life." In Caring Well: Religion, Narrative, and Health Care Ethics, ed. by David H. Smith, 64-86. Westminster/John Knox, 2000.
- Lysought, M. T., J. Kotva, S. E. Lammers, eds. "Choosing Death." In On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives on Medical Ethics, 1079- 1162. Eerdmans, 2012.
- Mailaender, Gilbert. "'Apart and Not Apart': Death and Dignity." " In Caring Well: Religion, Narrative, and Health Care Ethics, ed. by David H. Smith, 239-254. Westminster/John Knox, 2000.
- Pellegrino, Edmund. "Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide." In Dignity and Dying: A Christian Appraisal, edited by J. Kilner et al., 105-119. Eerdmans, 1996.
- Ramsey, Paul. "On (Only) Caring for the Dying." In The Patient as Person: Explorations in Medical Ethics,113-64. Yale, 2002. (Copy).
- Ramsey, Paul. "The Indignity of 'Death with Dignity'." In The Essential Paul Ramsey: A Collection, ed. by W. Werpehowski, S. D. Crocco, 223-246. Yale, 1994. (Copy).
- Stivers, Laura A., et al., eds. "Case: Death, Duty and Dignity." In Christian Ethics: A Case Method Approach, 305-326. Orbis, 2012.
- Verhey, Allen. "Judas, Jesus and Physician Assisted Suicide." ln Reading the Bible in the Strange World of Medicine, 304-344. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Wyatt, John. "Euthansia and Assisted Suicide." Cambridge Papers 19, no. 2 (June 2010): 1-6.
Denominational and Ecumenical Statements
- Anglican Church of Canada, "Care in Dying: A Consideration of the Practices of Euthanasia and Physician Assisted Suicide" (1998). Feb 10, 2015, "A Statement from the Primate on the Supreme Court’s Ruling on Physician-Assisted Dying."
- Assemblies of God USA (Pentecostal), "Sanctity of Human Life: Suicide, Physician-Assisted Suicide, and Euthanasia" (Adopted by the General Presbytery, 2010).
- Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops, "Statements on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide" (2012-2015).
- Canadian Council of Churches, "Statement of Convergence on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide" (1996).
- Evangelical Fellowship of Canada (2015; Resources).
- Evangelical Presbyterian Church, "Position Paper on Suffering, Death and Dying" (1995).
- Massachusetts Council of Churches, "Physician Assisted Suicide: A Christian perspective" (2000).
- Mennonite Church Canada: "A Life Worth Living: Issues in Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide. Brief and Study Guide" (1995; 2014 discusion questions in church press).
- Ramsey Colloquium, "Always to Care, Never to Killl: A Declaration on Euthanasia," First Things 20 (Feb. 1992): 45-47.
- Reformed Church of America, "General Synod Statement on Physician Assisted Suicide" (1994; reaffirmed at 1995, 1996, and 1998 General Synods).
- United Church of Canada, "Euthanasia / Assisted Suicide" (2014).
Online Theological Journals / Chrisitan Press
- "Assisted Suicide" - Open Access Theological Journals search results by date.
- (For Tyndale only) "Assisted Suicide" - Full-text journal/ press articles search.
- Christianity Today, "Assisted Suicide" (articles 1996-2013).
- Kass, Leon. "Neither for Love or for Money: Why Doctors Must Not Kill." Public Interest 94 (1989): 25-45.
- See our Creation Care Reading Room
Justice, Crime & Punishment
- Allard, Pierre and Wayne Northey. Christianity: The Rediscovery of Restorative Justice, in: The Spiritual Roots of Restorative Justice. Michael L. Hadley, ed. SUNY Press, 2001. Ch. 5, pp. 119-142.
- Brady, Bernard Vincent. The Moral Bond of Community: Justice and Discourse in Christian Morality. Georgetown, 1998.
- Cavanaugh, William T. Torture and Eucharist: Theology, Politics, and the Body of Christ. Blackwell, 1998.
- De Gruchy, John W. Reconciliation: Restoring Justice. Fortress, 2002.
- Forrester, Duncan B. Christian Justice and Public Policy. Cambridge, 1997.
- Harrill, James Albert. Slaves in the New Testament: Literary, Social, and Moral Dimensions. Fortress, 2006.
- Hauerwas, Stanley. Punishing Christians: A Pacifist Approach to Capital Punishment, in: Religion and the Death Penalty: A Call for Reckoning, Eric C. Owens et al., eds. Eerdmans, 2004. Eerdmans Publishing, 2004. Ch. 4, pp; 57-72. Cf. also my Stanley Hauerwas Reading Room.
- Lampman, Lisa Barnes, ed. God and the Victim: Theological Reflections on Evil, Victimization, Justice, and Forgiveness. Eerdmans, 1999.
- Lebacqz, Karen. Six Theories of Justice: Perspectives from Philosophical and Theological Ethics. Augsburg, 1986.
- Logan, James S. Good Punishment?: Christian Moral Practice and U.S. Imprisonment. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Marshall, Christopher D. Beyond Retribution: A New Testament Vision for Justice, Crime, and Punishment. Eerdmans, 2001.
- Yoder, John H. Noah`s Covenant, the New Testament and Christian Social Order [re: Death Penalty], in: The Death Penalty in America: Current Controversies. Hugo Adam Bedau, ed. Oxford, 1998. Ch. 31, pp. 429-444.
- ... under construction ...
Political Ethics, War & Peace
- See individual chapters in readers and introductory texts above.
- Blough, Neal. From the Tower of Babel to the Peace of Jesus Christ: Christological, Ecclesiological and Missiological Foundations for Peacemaking, Mennonite Quarterly Review, Vol. LXXVI, No. 1 (January 2002).
- Cahill, Lisa Sowle. Love your Enemies: Discipleship, Pacifism, and Just War Theory. Fortress, 1994.
- Coleman, John Aloysius, ed. Christian Political Ethics. Princeton, 2007.
- Dresher, John M.Why I Am a Conscientious Objector. Masthof, 2000.
- Gushee, David P. Evangelicals and War, in: The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center. Baylor, 2008. Ch. 8, pp. 199-214.
- Hauerwas, Stanley. (Cf. the many Hauerwas links to this topic in the Stanley Hauerwas Reading Room).
- Hess, Richard S. and Elmer Martens, eds. War in the Bible and Terrorism in the Twenty-First Century. Eisenbrauns, 2008.
- Horsley, Richard A. Paul and the Roman Imperial Order. Continuum, 2004.
- Kemeny, Paul C., ed. Church, State and Public Justice: Five Views. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Kirkpatrick, Frank G. A Moral Ontology for a Theistic Ethic: Gathering the Nations in Love and Justice. Ashgate, 2003.
- Küng, Hans. A Global Ethic for Global Politics and Economics. Oxford University, 1998.
- Marsh, Charles. Wayward Christian Soldiers: Freeing the Gospel from Political Captivity. Oxford, 2007 (also copy).
- Miller, Marlin, and Barbara N. Gingerich, eds. The Church`s Peace Witness. Eerdmans, 1994.
- Miller, Richard Brian, ed. War in the Twentieth Century: Sources in Theological Ethics. Westminster John Knox, 1992. Also Miller, Interpretations of Conflict: Ethics, Pacifism, and the Just-war Tradition. Univ. of Chicago, 1991.
- Newlands, George M. Christ and Human Rights: The Transformative Engagement. Ashgate, 2006.
- Schlabach, Gerald W., ed. Just Policing, Not War: An Alternative Response to World Violence. Liturgical, 2007.
- Sider, Ronald. God`s People Reconciling (based on 1 Peter 3:8-12,28), July 1984 at Mennonite World Conference in Strasbourg, France. (Audio recording of address available as Windows Media Format download). This is the founding address of Christian Peacemaker Teams.
- Stout, Jeffrey. Democracy and Tradition Princeton, 2004.
- Swartley, Willard M. The Love of Enemy and Nonretaliation in the New Testament. Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- Swartz, David R. Left Behind: The Evangelical Left and the Limits of Evangelical Politics, vol. 1 and vol. 2. PhD Thesis, Univ of Notre Dame, 2008.
- Thielicke, Helmut. Theologische Ethik, vol. II/II: Ethik des Politischen, 4th ed. Mohr Siebeck, 1987.
- Van der Watt, Jan Gabriël and J.F.S. Malan, eds. Identity, ethics, and ethos in the New Testament. De Gruyter, 2006.
- Von Rad, Gerhard. Holy War in Ancient Israel. Marva J. Dawn and John H. Yoder, trans. Eerdmans, 1990 (also copy).
- Wogaman, J. Philip. Christian Perspectives on Politics. Westminster John Knox Press, 19992.
See resources on Christian peace theology in Tyndale`s eBook NetLibrary database. Click for a booklist (pp. 35ff.).
Related Links on the WWW
- Evangelicals for Human Rights (David Gushee, President) See also Gushee`s weekly column in the Associated Baptist Press.
- Plowshares Digital Archives for Peace Studies (Mennonites, Church of the Brethren, Quakers)
- Just Peacemaking (Essays by Glen Stassen; compare resources in Just War Theory)
- Matthew 5 Project, Evangelicals for National Security Through International Cooperation.
- Faith-based ethical/political resources.
- Writings on Christian Nonresistance and Pacifism from Anabaptist-Mennonite Sources.
- Peace Theology (Ted Grimsrud).
- Institute for Theology and Peace
- DOV: Decade for Overcoming Violence: 2001-2010 (World Council of Churches)
- Evangelicals for Social Action (Ron Sider)
- Sojourners - Christians for Justice and Peace (Jim Wallis)
- ... under construction ...
Economics, Wealth, Poverty, Work
- See individual chapters in readers and introductory texts above.
- See full list of resources on the Tyndale webpage: Global Financial Crisis - Theological Responses and Resources.
- See individual chapters in readers and introductory texts above.
- Deane-Drummond, Celia. The Ethics of Nature. Blackwell, 2004.
- Gill, Robin. Health Care and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 2006.
- Hauerwas, Stanley. Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering. Continuum, 2004; God, Medicine, and Suffering. Eerdmans, 1994. For more Hauerwas links, cf. my Stanley Hauerwas Reading Room
- Lamers, Stephen E., and A. Verhey, eds. On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. Eerdmans, 19982.
- Jonsen, Albert R., Robert M. Veatch, and LeRoy Walters, eds. Source Book in Bioethics: A Documentary History. Georgetown, 2000.
- Tubbs, James B. Christian Theology and Medical Ethics: Four Contemporary Approaches (Richard McCormick, SJ; Paul Ramsey; Stanley Hauerwas; and James M. Gustafson). Springer, 1996.
- Verhey, Allen. Reading the Bible in the Strange World of Medicine. Eerdmans, 2003; (ed.) Religion and Medical Ethics: Looking Back, Looking Forward. Eerdmans, 1996; Eerdmans, 1984.
- Kilner, John F. et al., eds. The Reproduction Revolution: A Christian Appraisal of Sexuality, Reproductive Technologies, and the Family. Eerdmans, 2000.
Evangelical Fellowship of Canada, "Abortion Polls in Canada: A Compilation by Topic of Opinion Polling in Canada from 2007-2012," Feb. 2012. Pp. 27.
Links on the WWW
- Dignitas Personae (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Roman Catholic, new Statement on Bioethics, Dec. 2008).
- Bioethics Resources on the Web
- See Medical Ethics Research Guide, MedicalAssistant.net
- ... under construction
- See individual chapters in readers and introductory texts above.
- Balswick, Judith K. and Jack O. Balswick. Authentic Human Sexuality: An Integrated Christian Approach. InterVarsity, 1999.
- Cahill, Lisa Sowle. Sex, Gender, and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1996 (full text available for Tyndale students over NetLibrary).
- Countryman, L. William. Dirt, Greed, and Sex: Sexual Ethics in the New Testament and Their Implications for Today. Rev`d ed. Fortress, 2007 (and copy; also 1990 edition).
- Ellison, Marvin, and Kelly Brown Douglas, eds. Sexuality and the Sacred: Sources for Theological Reflection. 2nd ed. Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox, 2010.
- Grenz, Stanley. Sexual Ethics: An Evangelical Perspective. Westminster John Knox Press, 1997 (full text available for Tyndale students over NetLibrary); also Welcoming But Not Affirming: An Evangelical Response to Homosexuality. Westminster John Knox Press, 1998.
- Gushee, David P. Marriage and the Law, in: The Future of Faith in American Politics: The Public Witness of the Evangelical Center. Baylor, 2008. Ch. 6, pp. 141-174.
- Hancock, Maxine, ed. Christian Perspectives on Gender, Sexuality, and Community. Regent College, 2003.
- Hays, Richard. Homosexuality, in: Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation: a Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethics, Continuum, 1997. Ch. 16, pp. 379-406.
- Scroggs, Robin. The New Testament and Homosexuality: Contextual Background for Contemporary Debate. Fortress, 1983.
- Soards, Marion L. Scripture and Homosexuality: Biblical Authority and the Church Today. Westminster John Knox, 1995.
- Sawartley, Willard M. Homosexuality: Biblical Interpretation and Moral Discernment. Herald, 2003 (full text available for Tyndale students over NetLibrary).
- Via, Dan Otto, and Robert A. J. Gagnon. Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views. Fortress, 2003.
- See the Google Books subject listing for "Sex; Religious Aspects; Christianity."
- ... under construction ...
Christian Ethics - Web Resources
- Theological Journals Search (journals with free full text articles-- links to many good articles in Christian ethics)
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database --hundreds of full-text articles on areas of Christian ethics freely available for Tyndale students and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.
Other Christian Ethics Resources / WWW
- Christian Ethicists and On-line Resources /Bibliographies by A. Goddard.
- Unofficial Walter Brueggemann Page
- Miroslav Volf on the Web; see YouTube video of Miroslav Volf and Tony Blair (Sept 19, 2008) co-teaching class on "Faith and Globalization".
- Walter Wink on the Web
- Catholic Social Teaching (Source Documents; see also these resources)
- Morality -Theology Library, Spring Hill College (Jesuits)
- Catholic Social Thought
- Christian Reformed Church-Office of Social Justice
- Theology Matters (Presbyterians for Faith, Family & Ministry)
- Theology Today (- 1997 available on-line)
- Australian Ejournal of Theology
- Christian Ethics Today (Journal)
- Ethics and Moral Values (Viritual Religion Index)
- Religion-Online (See categories: "Social Issues" & "Ethics")
- Journal of Lutheran Ethics
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of America -Social Issues
- Church & Society: Current Issues (Churches Together in Britain and Ireland)
- Society of Christian Ethics
- Shalom (Brethren in Christ)
- RS-Web: Ethics
- Counterbalance Interactive Library
- Ethics Updates, University of San Diago
- Physicians for Global Survival (Canada)
- Simple Living Network
Other Tyndale Online Reading Rooms (Click!)
The missional paradigm informs every Tyndale Seminary program. If you would like more information about our programs, please contact our Seminary Admissions Counsellors
<p class="rtecenter">This page was created and is maintained by<a href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org"> Arnold Neufeldt-Fast</a>, Ph.D.</p>