The resources below complement and go beyond the other available lists such as: Hauerwas - collected online writings (typically church press), and the similar collection of links gathered on Andrew Goddard's Stanley Hauerwas Page.
Books by Stanley Hauerwas
- The Hauerwas Reader. John Berkman, Michael G. Cartwright, eds. Duke, 2001.
- Dispatches from the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular. Duke, 1995.
- Wilderness Wanderings: Probing Twentieth-Century Theology and Philosophy. Revised ed. Westview, 1998.
- Naming the Silences: God, Medicine, and the Problem of Suffering. Continuum, 2004 (and copy).
- (with William H. Willimon). Preaching to Strangers: Evangelism in Today`s World. Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- (with John Swinton, ed.). Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. Haworth, 2005.
Articles by Stanley Hauerwas
- Forward (with D. Stephen Long) , in: Paul Ramsey, Basic Christian Ethics. Westminster John Knox, 1993. Pp. xiii-xxix.
- Captured in Time: Friendship and Aging (with Laura Yordy), in: Growing Old in Christ. S. Hauerwas, C. Bailey Stoneking, and K. G. Meador, eds. Eerdmans, 2003. Pp. 169-184.
- The Ethics of Population and Pollution, The Cresset, Vol. XXXIII, No. 9 (September 1970). Pp. 5.
- Problematics of a "Christian College", The Cresset, Vol. XXXIV, No. 7 (May 1971). Pp. 4.
- The Humanity of the Divine, The Cresset, Vol. XXXV, No. 8 (June 1972). Pp. 3.
Love and Marriage: A Wedding Sermon
1Cor. 13 and John 15:5-17, The Cresset, Vol. XL, No. 8 (June 1977).
- Christian Ethics in Jewish Terms: A Response to David Novak, in: Christianity in Jewish Terms. T. Frymer-Kensky et al., eds. Westview Press, 2002. Pp. 135-140 (also copy).
- Clerical Character: Reflecting on Ministerial Morality, Word and World, Vol. 6, No. 2 (1986), pp. 181-193.
- The Limits of Care: Burnout as an Ecclesial Issue (with William Willimon), Word and World, Vol. 10, No. 3 (1990), pp. 247-253.
- The Chief End of all Flesh (with John Berkman). Theology Today, Vol. 49, No. 2 (July 1992), pp. 196-208.
- On Doctrine and Ethics, in: The Cambridge Companion to Christian Doctrine. Colin E. Gunton, ed. Cambridge, 1997. Ch. 2, pp. 21-40 (see also copy).
- Christian Care of the Retarded, Theology Today, Vol. 30, No. 2 (July 1973), pp. 130-137.
- The Kingdom of God: An Ecclesial Space for Peace (with Mark Sherwindt). Word and World, Vol. 2, No. 2 (1982), pp. 127-136.
- Will the Real Sectarian Please Stand Up?, Theology Today, Vol. 44, No. 1 (April 1987), pp. 87-94 (also response).
- The Gesture of a Truthful Story, Theology Today, Vol. 42, No. 2 (1985), pp. 181-189.
- Knowing How to Go On When You Do Not Know Where You Are: A Response to John Cobb, Jr., Theology Today, Vol. 51, No. 4 (1995), pp. 563-569 (a response to Cobb and by Cobb).
- On Being a Christian and an American, in: Meaning and Modernity: Religion, Polity, and Self. Richard Madsen, ed. University of California Press, 2001. Ch. 13, pp. 224-235.
- Why Did Jesus Have to Die?: An Attempt to Cross the Barrier of Age. The Princeton Seminary Bulletin, Vol. 28 No. 2 (2007), pp. 181ff. (also copy).
- Abortion, Theologically Understood. Taskforce of United Methodists on Abortion and Sexuality, 1991.
- The Church and the Mentally Handicapped: A Continuing Challenge to the Imagination, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and John Swinton, ed. Haworth Press, 2005. Ch. 3, pp. 53-62 (also copy).
- Pacifism: Some Philosophical Considerations (and copy), in: A Textbook of Christian Ethics. 3rd ed. Robin Gill, ed. Continuum, 2006. Ch. 18, pp. 250-255.
- Pharaoh`s Hardened Heart: Some Christian Readings. The Journal of Christian Reasoning, No. 2.2 (September 2002); see also responses.
- Why Truthfulness Requires Forgiveness: A Commencement Address for Graduates of a College of the Church of the Second Chance, in: Dispatches from the Front: Theological Engagements with the Secular. Duke, 1995, pp. 80-90 (and copy).
- Finite Care in a World of Infinite Need Samford University, June 2008. Pp. 11.
- Must a Patient be a Person to be a Patient? Or, My Uncle Charlie is not much of a Person, but he is still my Uncle Charlie, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and J. Swinton, eds. Haworth Press, 2005. Ch. 6, pp. 113-120 (and copy).
- Peacemaking: the Virtue of the Church, in: Doing Right and Being Good: Catholic and Protestant Readings in Christian Ethics. D.O. Ahearn, P.R. Gathje, eds. Liturgical Press, 2005. Ch. 5, pp. 25-32.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Truth and Politics. Reflections: Center for Theological Inquiry, Vol. 6 (2002); also video lecture, and interview with Homiletics Online).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer`s Political Theology, Conrad Grebel Review, Vol. 20, No. 3 (2002), pp. 17-39 (and responses).
- The Moral Authority of Scripture, in: From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. W.G. Boulton, T.D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1994. Ch. 7, pp. 33-50.
- A Christian Response to Violence, in: In the Aftermath: What September 11 is Teaching Us about Our World, Our Faith & Ourselves. James Taylor, ed. Wood Lake, 2002. Ch. 2, pp. 35-47.
- September 11, 2001: A Pacifist Response, in: Walking with God in a Fragile World. J.R. Langford, L.S. Rouner, eds. Rowman & Littlefield, 2002. Ch. XI, pp. 121-130 (also copy).
- No Enemy, No Christianity: Theology and Preaching Between "Worlds", in: The Future of Theology: Essays in Honor of Jürgen Moltmann. M. Volf et al., eds. Eerdmans, 1996. Pp. 26-34.
- Practicing Patience: How Christians Should Be Sick (with Charles Pinchas), in On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. 2nd ed. S.E. Lammers and A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1998. Ch. 50, pp. 364-372 (also copy).
- Authority and the Profession of Medicine, in: Responsibility in Health Care. George J. Agich, ed. Springer, 1982. Pp. 83-104.
- On Keeping Theological Ethics Theological, in: From Christ to the World: Introductory Readings in Christian Ethics. W.G. Boulton, T.D. Kennedy, A. Verhey, eds. Eerdmans, 1994. Ch. 23, pp. 130-144 (also copy).
- Sinsick, in: Sin, Death, and the Devil. C.E. Braaten, R.W. Jenson, eds. Eerdmans, 2000. Pp. 7-21.
- Reading Yoder Down Under, in: Faith and Freedom: Christian Ethics in a Pluralist Culture. D. Neville, P. Matthews, eds. Australian Theological Forum, 2003. Pp. 170-174.
- Salvation and Health: Why Medicine needs the Church, in: On Moral Medicine: Theological Perspectives in Medical Ethics. S.E. Lammers and A. Verhey, eds. 2nd ed. Eerdmans, 1998. Ch. 11, pp. 72-83 (also copy).
- (Interview) Stanley Hauerwas and Samuel Wells: Theological Ethics, in: God`s Advocates: Christian Thinkers in Conversation. Rupert Shortt. Eerdmans, 2005. Pp. 175-193 (also copy).
- Catholic Social Teaching (with Jana Bennett), in: The Oxford Handbook of Theological Ethics. G. Meilaender and W. Werpehowski, eds. Oxford, 2005. Ch. 30, pp. 520-537 (also copy).
- Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana: Schooling the Heart in the Heart of Texas, in: The Schooled Heart: Moral Formation in American Higher Education. M.D. Beaty and D.V. Henry, eds. Baylor, 2007. Ch. 4, pp. 103-114 (see also copy; video lecture).
- Confessions of a Mennonite Camp Follower, Mennonite Quarterly Reviews, Vol. LXXIV, No. 4 (October 2000).
- Christological Pacifism (n.d). Pp. 2.
- Lecture on America, Milan, Italy, February 19, 2008. Pp. 12.
- Suffering the Retarded: Should we Prevent Retardation?, in: Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. S. Hauerwas and J. Swinton, eds. Haworth Press, 2005, ch. 5, pp. 87-106 (and copy).
- Seeing Darkness, Hearing Silence: Augustine`s Account of Evil, in: Naming Evil, Judging Evil. Ruth W. Grant, ed. University of Chicago, 2006. Ch. 2, pp. 35-54.
- Democratic Time: Lessons Learned from Yoder and Wolin, Cross Currents, Vol. 55, No. 4 (Winter 2005-06).
- The Community Story of Israel and Jesus, in: Scripture and Ethics: Twentieth-century Portraits. Jeffrey S. Siker, ed. Oxford, 1997. Ch. 6, pp. 97-125.
- The End of Religious Pluralism: A Tribute to David Burrell, in: Democracy and the New Religious Pluralism. T.F. Banchoff, ed. Oxford, 2007. Pp. 283-301.
- (with Charles Pinches). Virtue Christianity Considered. In: M. Beaty, et al., eds. Christian Theism and Moral Philosophy. Mercer, 1998. Pp. 286-304.
- Epilogue: A Pacifist`s Response to the Bishops, in: Paul Ramsey, Speak Up for Just War Or Pacifism: A Critique of the United Methodist Bishops` Pastoral Letter "In Defence of Creation". Penn State Press, 1988. Pp. 149-182.
- Worship, Evangelism, Ethics: On Eliminating the "And", in: The Study of Evangelism: Exploring a Missional Practice of the Church. P.W. Chilcote, L.C. Warner, eds. Eerdmans, 2008. Ch. 14, pp. 205-214.
- Response: Where would I be without Friends?, in: Faithfulness and Fortitude: Conversations with the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Mark Nation, Samuel Wells, eds. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 14, pp. 313-332.
- “Theology and the New American Culture: A Problematic Relationship,” The Review of Politics 34, no. 4 (1972): 71–90.
- (with J. Alexander Sider) “The Distinctiveness of Christian Ethics: Review of John Colwell, Living the Christian Story, 2001,” International Journal of Systematic Theology 5 (2003): 225-233.
- "Inherent Rights, Disability and the Justice of God," ABC Religion and Ethics, May 30, 2011.
- See the large collection of other (more popular) articles by Hauerwas on the WWW: Hauerwas: Collected Online Articles, Interviews and Resources, and the similar collection of links gathered on Andrew Goddard's Stanley Hauerwas Page.
Hauerwas: Podcasts, YouTube, Other
- Hauerwas on Theology: Medicine, Death, and the Christian Community. 2003 Emergent Convention.
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer on Truth and Politics. Burke Lectures, February, 2008 (YouTube; 59 minutes; also text).
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer On Lying - Reflections on America. Calvin College, Jan. 2003 (Audio lecture, 61 minutes; requires RealAudio player)
- On Ending Religious Pluralism. Boston College, February 2006 (59 minutes).
- "'Duke University Office Hours' with Stanley Hauerwas on the Life of a Theologian," May 7, 2010 (YouTube; 58:48)
- Hauerwas on Voting; n.d.
- Jesus Radicals Iconocast interview with Hauerwas. October, 2010.
- "Religious Speech in Public Discourse,"(Duke University Video; 4:44)
- On His Evangelicals Audience (YouTube; 3 min, 13 sec)
- What Only the Church Can Do (YouTube; 9 min, 57 sec)
- On Jürgen Moltmann (YouTube; 3:09)
- On Reinhold Niebuhr (YouTube; 1:20)
- On Prayer (YouTube, 2:02)
- On Alzheimer's (YouTube, 2:02)
Books on Stanley Hauerwas
- Getz, Andrew. The Role of Christian Faith in Public Moral Discourse: A Comparison of Selected Works from H. Tristram Engelhardt, Jr., Stanley Hauerwas, and Richard A. McCormick. Ph.D. thesis, Duquesne University, 2005.
- Gong, Liren. Christian Discipleship Today: A Study of the Ethics of the Kingdom in the Theologies of Stanley Hauerwas and Jon Sobrino. Ph.D. thesis, University of Glasgow, 1994 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.388188).
- Nation, Mark and Samuel Wells, eds. Faithfulness and Fortitude: Conversations with the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. Continuum, 2000.
- Rommel, Birgit. Ekklesiologie und Ethik bei Stanley Hauerwas: Von der Bedeutung der Kirche für die Rede von Gott. LIT Verlag, 2003.
- Smith, R. Scott. Virtue Ethics and Moral Knowledge: Philosophy of Language After MacIntyre and Hauerwas. Ashgate, 2003.
- Swinton, John, ed. Critical Reflections on Stanley Hauerwas` Theology of Disability: Disabling Society, Enabling Theology. Haworth, 2005 (primary and secondary materials).
- Thomson, John B. The Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas: A Christian Theology of Liberation. Ashgate, 2003. Also: The Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas as a Distinctively Christian Theology of Liberation (1970-2000). Ph.D. thesis, University of Nottingham, 2001 (free download; registration with British Library required; EThOS persistent ID: uk.bl.ethos.364394).
Articles, Chapters on Stanley Hauerwas
- Bain-Selbo, Eric. Democracy and Tradition: Finding Common Ground Between Hauerwas’ Traditionalism and Rorty’s Liberalism, Journal of Religion & Society, Vol. 7 (2005). Pp. 8.
- Doak, Mary. A Narrative Theological Ethics: Stanley Hauerwas, in: Reclaiming Narrative for Public Theology. SUNY, 2004. Pp. 126-144.
- Doerksen, Paul. The Church is an Ethic: Ecclesiology and Social Ethics in the Theological Ethics of Stanley Hauerwas. MTS Thesis, Conrad Grebel University College, Waterloo, ON, 1999 (pdf).
- Fergusson, David. Ecclesial Ethics: Stanley Hauerwas, in: Community, Liberalism, and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1998. Ch. 3, pp. 48-79.
Gay, Douglas C. "The Epistemological, Ethical and Political Priority of the Church: The Post-Christendom Ecclesiology of Stanley Hauerwas," A Practical Theology of Church and World:
Ecclesiology and Social Vision in 20th Century Scotland. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Edinburgh, 2006. Ch. 1, pp. 8-60 (pdf.).
- Gunton, Colin E. The Church as a School of Virtue? Human Formation in Trinitarian Framework (written for Hauerwas Festschrift), in: Intellect and Action: Elucidations on Christian Theology and the Life of Faith. Continuum, 2005. Ch. 6, pp. 101-120.
- Hays, Richard B. Stanley Hauerwas: Character Shaped by Tradition, in: Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation: a Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethics. Continuum, 1997. Pp. 253-266.
- Horrell, David. "Stanley Hauerwas's Ecclesial Ethics," Solidarity an Difference: A Contemporary Reading of Paul's Ethics. Continuum, 2005. Pp. 63-82.
- Logan, J.S. Mining Stanley Hauerwas: Foundations for a Christian Social Ethics of Good Punishment, in: Good Punishment?: Christian Moral Practice and U.S. Imprisonment. Eerdmans, 2007. Ch. 4, pp. 143-174.
- Mathewes, Charles T. Appreciating Hauerwas: One Hand Clapping, in: Anglican Theological Review, Spring 2000.
- McKenny, Gerald P. Medicine and the Reconciling Community [Hauerwas], in: To Relieve the Human Condition: Bioethics, Technology, and the Body. SUNY, 1997. Ch. 6, pp. 147-183.
- Pecknold, C.C. Democracy and the Politics of the Word. Stout and Hauerwas on Democracy and Scripture, Scottish Journal of Theology 59:2 (April 2006). Pp. 10.
- Reimer, A. James. Hauerwas: Why I’m a Reluctant Convert to his Theology, Conrad Grebel Review, Vol. 20, No. 3 (Fall 2002), pp. 5-16.
- Reinders, Hans. The Meaning of Sanctification: Stanley Hauerwas on Christian Identity and Moral Judgment, in: Does Religion Matter Morally? The Critical Reappraisal of the Thesis of Morality`s Independence from Religion. A. W. Musschenga, ed. Peeters, 1995. Ch. 6, pp. 141-171 (with response by A. van den Beld).
- Rudman, Stanley. A Communicative Ethic: Hauerwas and Habermas, in: Concepts of Person and Christian Ethics. Cambridge, 1997. Ch. 11, pp. 227-256.
- Ruprecht, Louis A. After Christendom? On Distorted Theological Narratives [on Hauerwas], in: Afterwords: Hellenism, Modernism, and the Myth of Decadence. SUNY, 1996. Ch. 4, pp. 127-162.
- Schlögel, Herbert. Una, sancta, apostolica...et ethica? Sozialethisch-ekkesiologische Einmischungen nach Stanley Hauerwas, in: Kirche - Moral - Spiritualität. LIT, 2001. Pp. 57-70.
- Stackhouse, Max L. In the Company of Hauerwas, Journal for Christian Theological Research. Vol. 2, No. 1 (1997).
- Stone, Ronald H. Resurgent Pacifist Attack on Realism [on Hauerwas], in: Prophetic Realism: Beyond Militarism and Pacifism in an Age of Terror. Continuum, 2005. Ch. 9, pp. 122-131.
- Stout, Jeffrey. Virtue and the Way of the World (on Hauerwas), in: Democracy and Tradition. Princeton, 2004. Ch. 6, pp. 140-161 (also copy).
- Thompson, Christopher J. Appeals to Augustine in Hauerwas and David Burrell, in: Christian Doctrine, Christian Identity: Augustine and the Narratives of Character. University Press of America, 1999. Ch. 2, pp. 37-53.
- Tubbs, James B. Stanley Hauerwas: Character, Vision and Narrative in Moral Life, in: Christian Theology and Medical Ethics: Four Contemporary Approaches. Springer, 1996. Ch. 4, pp. 96-129.
- Werpehowski, William. Politics, Creation and Conversion [on Hauerwas`s ethics], in: American Protestant Ethics and the Legacy of H. Richard Niebuhr. Georgetown University, 2002. Ch. 6, pp. 95-118.
- Wood, Laurence W. Stanley Hauerwas and Narrative Theology, in: Theology as History and Hermeneutics: A Post-critical Conversation Theology. Emeth, 2005. Pp. 158-172 (also copy).
- ... under construction (more soon)
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet).
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database -find full-text articles on and by Stanley Hauerwas-- for Tyndale students and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale's academic eJournals.
This page was created and is maintained by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast, Ph.D.