NB: For bibliographic management and notetaking while reading, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources"). For page snapshots and printing of Google Book pages, try Microsoft's snipping tool (paste text into Word -- or Zotero).
(Tyndale students should also refer to the full-text ebooks in spiritual formation available via the library.)
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Handbooks of Christian Spirituality
- Blackwell Companion to Christian Spirituality. Arthur G. Holder, ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 2005.
- Handbook of Workplace Spirituality and Organizational Performance. Robert A. Giacalone, Carole L. Jurkiewicz, eds. M.E. Sharpe, 2005.
- Handbook of Spirituality for Ministers: Perspectives for the 21st Century. Robert J. Wicks, ed. Paulist, 2000.
- Bradshaw, Paul F. New Westminster Dictionary of Liturgy and Worship. Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
- New Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Philip Sheldrake, ed. Westminster John Knox, 2005
- SCM Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Gordon S. Wakefield. SCM, 2003. Mirror copy: The Westminster Dictionary of Christian Spirituality. Westminster John Knox, 1983.
- Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices that Transform us. Adele Ahlberg Calhoun. InterVarsity, 2006.
- "Spirituality." In Companion Encyclopedia of Theology. P. Byrne and L. Houlden, ed. Taylor & Francis, 1995. Part IV, Ch. 25-32, pp. 511-686 (also copy).
Keeping a Spiritual Journal
- Budd, Luann. Journal Keeping: Writing for Spiritual Growth. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Cepero, Helen. Journaling as a Spiritual Practice. Encountering God through Attentive Writing. Intervarsity, 2008.
- Hauser, Richard J. Keeping a Spiritual Journal, Moving in the Spirit: Becoming a Contemplative in Action. Paulist Press, 1986 (ch. V).
- Klug, Ron. How to Keep a Spiritual Journal: A Guide to Journal Keeping for Inner Growth and Personal Discovery. 2nd ed. Augsburg, 2002.
- Shaw, Luci. Life Path: Personal and Spiritual Growth Through Journal Writing. Regent College, 2004.
- Stockton, Sarah. A Pen and a Path: Writing as a Spiritual Practice. Morehouse, 2005.
Lectio Divina: The Art of Spiritual (Contemplative) Reading
- About Lectio Divina; Christian authors for lectio divina arranged chronologically (Order of St. Benedict)
- Benner, David G. Opening to God: Lectio Divina and Life as Prayer. InterVarsity, 2010.
- Bonhoeffer, Dietrich. Instructions in Daily Meditation, in: Meditating on the Word, 1936.
- Hall, Thelma. Too Deep for Words: Rediscovering Lectio Divina. Paulist, 1988.
- Foster, David. Reading with God: Lectio Divina. Continuum, 2005.
- Pennington, Basil. Lectio Divina: The Gate Way to the Spiritual Journey and Centering Prayer, in: Centering Prayer in Daily Life and Ministry. Gustave Reininger, ed. Continuum, 1998. Ch. 2, pp. 20-25.
- Peterson, Eugene H. Eat this Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading. Eerdmans, 2006.
- Schultz, Karl A. How to Pray with the Bible: The Ancient Prayer Form of Lectio Divina Made Simple. Our Sunday Visitor Publishing, 2007.
- Barth, Karl. Prayer. 50th Anniv. Ed. Westminster John Knox Press, 2002.
- Beckmen, Richard J. A Beginner`s Guide to Prayer. Augsburg, 1994.
- Boers, Arthur P. The Rhythm of God`s Grace: Uncovering Morning and Evening Hours of Prayer. Paraclete, 2003.
- Bondi, Roberta C. To Pray and to Love: Conversations on Prayer with the Early Church. Fortress, 1991.
- Grenz ,Stanley J. Prayer: The Cry for the Kingdom. Revised. Eerdmans, 2005 (see also other edition).
- Harkness, Georgia E. Prayer and the Common Life. Abingdon, 1968.
- Johnson, Jan. Prayer & Listening: 6 Studies with Notes for Leaders. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Raab, Christian, et al. The Tradition of Catholic Prayer: The Monks of Saint Meinrad Archabbey. Liturgical, 2007.
- Reininger, Gustave. Centering Prayer in Daily Life and Ministry. Continuum, 1998.
- Yancey, Philip. Prayer: Does It Make Any Difference? Zondervan, 2006.
- (Note: see other volumes on this page for chapters on prayer)
- McKnight, Scot. Fasting: The Ancient Practices. Thomas Nelson, 2009.
- ... under construction
- Bass, Dorothy C., and Miroslav Volf, eds. Practicing Theology: Beliefs and Practices in Christian Life. Eerdmans, 2002 (see also Craig Dykstra, Growing in the Life of Faith: Education and Christian Practices. 2nd ed. Westminster John Knox, 2005).
- Bloesch, Donald G. Spirituality Old & New: Recovering Authentic Spiritual Life. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Bowe, Barbara Ellen. Biblical Foundations of Spirituality: Touching a Finger to the Flame. Rowman & Littlefield, 2003.
- Cunningham, Lawrence and Keith J. Egan. Christian Spirituality: Themes from the Tradition. Paulist, 1996.
- Downey, Michael. Understanding Christian Spirituality. Paulist Press, 1997.
- Dreyer, Elizabeth D., and Mark S. Burrows, eds. Minding the Spirit: The Study of Christian Spirituality. JHU Press, 2005; also Dreyer, Earth Crammed with Heaven: A Spirituality of Everyday Life. Paulist Press, 1994; Passionate Spirituality: Hildegard of Bingen and Hadewijch of Brabant. Paulist Press, 2005 (also copy).
- Greenman, Jeffrey, and George Kalantzis. Life in the Spirit: Spiritual Formation in Theological Perspective. InterVarsity, 2010.
- McGrath, Alister. Christian Spirituality: an Introduction. Wiley-Blackwell, 1999.
- Pagitt, Doug. Reimagining Spiritual Formation: A Week in the Life of an Experimental Church. Zondervan, 2004.
- Perrin, David Brian. Studying Christian Spirituality. Routledge, 2007.
- Schmidt, Richard H. God Seekers: Twenty Centuries of Christian Spiritualities. Eerdmans, 2008.
- Smith, Karen. Christian Spirituality. SCM-Canterbury, 2007 (also copy).
History of Christian Spirituality
- McGinn, Bernard, John Meyendorff, and Jill Riatt, eds. Christian Spirituality: Origins to the Twelfth Century; Christian Spirituality: High Middle Ages and Reformation. Taylor & Francis, 1986/1987.
- Aumann, Jordan. Christian Spirituality in the Catholic Tradition. 2nd ed. Ignatius, 1985.
- Holt, Bradley P. Thirsty for God: A Brief History of Christian Spirituality. 2nd ed. Fortress, 2005.
- Jones, Paul W. Trumpet at Full Moon: An Introduction to Christian Spirituality As Diverse Practice. Westminster John Knox, 1992.
- Lane, George. Christian Spirituality: A Historical Sketch. Loyola Press, 2005.
- Mursell, Gordon, ed. The Story of Christian Spirituality: Two Thousand Years, from East to West. Fortress, 2001 (see also copy); English Spirituality: From 1700 to the Present. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Sheldrake, Philip. Explorations in Spirituality: History, Theology, and Social Practice. Paulist Press, 2010.
Classic Texts in Christian Spirituality
- (For a brief guide, Peterson, Eugene H. Take and Read: Spiritual Reading : an Annotated List. Eerdmans, 1996).
- Anselm of Canterbury. The Prayers and Meditations of St. Anselm with the Proslogion. Ed. & tr. Benedicta Ward. Penguin Classics, 1973.
- Kannengiesser, Charles. Early Christian Spirituality. Augsburg, 1986.
- Madigan, Shawn. Mystics, Visionaries, and Prophets: A Historical Anthology of Women`s Spiritual Writings. Fortress, 2004.
- McGinn, Bernard, ed. The Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism. New York: Modern, 2006.
- See the many volumes of primary sources: Classics of Western Spirituality by Paulist Press.
- ... under construction
"Contemporary Classics" in Christian Spirituality
- Merton, Thomas. The Ascent to Truth. Continuum, 1976.
- Peterson, Eugene H. Subversive Spirituality. Eerdmans, 1997; Eat this Book: A Conversation in the Art of Spiritual Reading. Eerdmans, 2006; Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology. Eerdmans, 2005. The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Thompson, Marjorie. Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life. Westminster John Knox, 1995.
- ... under construction
- McLaren, Brian. Naked Spirituality. 5 Lectures. CMU, Refreshing Winds 2011, Winnipeg, Feb. 3-5, 2010.
- ... under construction
Other Texts in Christian Spirituality
- Alexander, Donald, ed. Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification.By Way of the Heart: Toward a Holistic Christian Spirituality. Paulist, 1990.
- Bacik, James J. Spirituality in Transition. Rowman & Littlefield, 1996.
- Barton, Ruth Haley. Invitation to Solitude and Silence: Experiencing God`s Transforming Presence. InterVarsity, 2004; also Sacred Rhythms: Arranging Our Lives for Spiritual Transformation. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Boa, Kenneth. Conformed to His Image: Biblical and Practical Approaches to Spiritual Formation. Zondervan, 2001.
- Harris, John Glyndwr. Christian Theology: The Spiritual Tradition. Sussex Academic, 2001.
- Carlson, Gregory et al. Perspectives on Children`s Spiritual Formation: Four Views. B&H, 2007.
- Cox, Harvey. Fire from Heaven: The Rise of Pentecostal Spirituality and the Reshaping of Religion in the 21st Century. Da Capo, 2001 (and copy).
- Dorr, Dona. Faith at Work: A Spirituality of Leadership. Liturgical, 2007.
- Erricker, Jane, Cathy Ota, and Clive Erricker, eds. Spiritual Education: Cultural, Religious, and Social Differences: New Perspectives for the 21st Century. Sussex Academic, 2001.
- Fides, Paul. Under the Rule of Christ: Dimensions of Baptist Spirituality. Smyth & Helwys, 2007.
- Gorman, Michael J. Cruciformity: Paul`s Narrative Spirituality of the Cross. Eerdmans, 2001.
- Hammett, Edward H. Reframing Spiritual Formation: Discipleship in an Unchurched Culture. Smyth & Helwys Publishing, 2002.
- Issler, Klaus. Wasting Time with God: A Christian Spirituality of Friendship with God. InterVarsity, 2001.
- Hanson, Bradley. A Graceful Life: Lutheran Spirituality for Today. Augsburg, 1999.
- Hope, Sue. Mission-shaped Spirituality: The Transforming Power of Mission. Church House Publishing, 2006.
- Houston, James M. Joyful Exiles: Life in Christ on the Dangerous Edge of Things. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Hrynuik, Michael. Theology, Disability, and Spiritual Transformation: Learning from the Communities of L'Arche. Cambria Press, 2010.
- Johnston, Robert K. Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue. Baker, 2000.
- Jones, Tony. The Sacred Way: Spiritual Practices for Everyday Life. Zondervan, 2005; (with S. Case and M. Oestreicher), Soul Shaper: Exploring Spirituality and Contemplative Practices in Youth Ministry. Zondervan, 2003.
- Kelly, Geffrey B., and F. Burton Nelson The Cost of Moral Leadership: The Spirituality of Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Kelsey, Morton T. Dreams: A Way to Listen to God. Paulist Press, 1978; The Other Side of Silence: Meditation for the Twenty-First Century. 2nd rev`d ed. Paulist Press, 1997.
- Kimbrough, S.T. Orthodox and Wesleyan Spirituality. St Vladimir`s Seminary, 2002.
- Leonard, Bill J. Becoming Christian: Dimensions of Spiritual Formation. Westminster John Knox, 1990.
- Marmion, Declan. A Spirituality of Everyday Faith: A Theological Investigation of the Notion of Spirituality in Karl Rahner. Eerdmans, 1998 (also copy 1; copy 2; and copy 3).
- McIntosh, Mark A. Mystical Theology: The Integrity of Spirituality and Theology. Wiley-Blackwell, 1998.
- McLaren, Brian D. A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey. John Wiley and Sons, 2008 (and 2001 edition).
- Millar, Peter. An Iona Prayer Book. SCM-Canterbury, 1998.
- Moine de l`Eglise d`Orient. Orthodox Spirituality: An Outline of the Orthodox Ascetical and Mystical Tradition. St Vladimir`s Seminary, 1996.
- Mulholland, M. Robert. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. InterVarsity, 1993; The Deeper Journey: The Spirituality of Discovering Your True Self. InterVarsity, 2006.
- Muldoon, Tim. The Ignatian Workout: Daily Spiritual Exercises for a Healthy Faith. Loyola, 2004.
- Nouwen, Henri (with Philip Roderick). Beloved: Henri Nouwen in Conversation. Eerdmans, 2007.
- O`Brien, Mary Elizabeth. Spirituality in Nursing: Standing on Holy Ground. Second ed. Jones & Bartlett, 2002; also Prayer in Nursing: The Spirituality of Compassionate Caregiving. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2002.
- Palmer, Parker. The Promise of Paradox: The Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life. Third ed. John Wiley, 2008.
- Parry, Jim, et al., eds. Sport and Spirituality: An Introduction. Routledge, 2007.
- Pettit, Paul, ed. Foundations of Spiritual Formation: A Community Approach to Becoming Like Christ. Kregel, 2008.
- Rice, Howard L. Reformed Spirituality: An Introduction for Believers. Westminster John Knox, 1991.
- Savary, Louis M., et al. Dreams and Spiritual Growth: A Christian Approach to Dreamwork : with More Than 35 Dreamwork Techniques. Paulist Press, 1984.
- Springsted, Eric O. Spirituality and Theology: Essays in Honor of Diogenes Allen. Westminster John Knox, 1998.
- Stevens, R. Paul. Down-To-Earth Spirituality: Encountering God in the Ordinary, Boring Stuff of Life. InterVarsity, 2003.
- Valantasis, Richard. Centuries of Holiness: Ancient Spirituality Refracted for a Postmodern Age. Continuum, 2005.
- Van Engen, John H. Educating People of Faith: Exploring the History of Jewish and Christian Communities. Eerdmans, 2004.
- Waaijman, Kees. Spirituality: Forms, Foundations, Methods. Tr. John Vriend. Peeters, 2002.
- Wehlander, Keri K., ed. Creating Change: The Arts as Catalyst for Spiritual Transformation. Wood Lake, 2008.
- Work, Telford. Ain`t Too Proud to Beg: Exercises in Prayerful Theology. Eerdmans, 2007.
- Zimmerling, Peter. Evangelische Spiritualität: Wurzeln und Zugänge. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2003.
Spirituality and Social Justice
- Battle, Michael. Blessed are the Peacemakers: A Christian Spirituality of Nonviolence. Mercer University Press, 2004.
- Campbell, Cathy C. Stations of the Banquet: Faith Foundations for Food Justice. Liturgical, 2003.
- Campolo, Tony and Mary Albert Darling. The God of Intimacy and Action: Reconnecting Ancient Spiritual Practices, Evangelism, and Justice. Wiley, 2007.
- Hart, Lawrence D. Hell`s Abyss, Heaven`s Grace: War and Christian Spirituality. Cowley, 2006.
- Moe-Lobeda, Cynthia D. Healing a Broken World: Globalization and God. Fortress, 2002.
- Pohl, Christine D. Making Room: Recovering Hospitality as a Christian Tradition. Eerdmans, 1999.
- Prinz, Julia D.E. Endangering Hunger for God: Johann Baptist Metz and Dorothee Sölle at the Interface of Biblical Hermeneutic and Christian Spirituality. LIT, 2008.
- Villafañe, Eldin, ed. "An Evangelical Call to a Social Spirituality: Confronting Evil in Urban Society." In: Seek the Peace of the City: Reflections on Urban Ministry. Eerdmans, 1995. Ch. 2, pp. 12-28.
- Weaver-Zercher, David and William H. Willimon, eds. Vital Christianity: Reconnecting Spirituality and Social Justice. Continuum, 2005.
Spiritual Direction, Friendship and Mentoring
- Anderson, Keith and Randy D. Reese. Spiritual Mentoring: A Guide for Seeking and Giving Direction. InterVarsity, 1999.
- Barry, William A. Spiritual Direction and the Encounter with God: A Theological Inquiry. 2nd rev`d ed. Paulist Press, 2004 (also copy).
- Benedict, Benedictus Nursinus. The Benedictine Handbook. SCM-Canterbury, 2003; see also Wil Derkse, The Rule of Benedict for Beginners: Spirituality for Daily Life. M. Kessler, trans. Liturgical, 2003.
- Benner, David G.B. Sacred Companions: The Gift of Spiritual Friendship & Direction. InterVarsity, 2004.
- Bidwell, Duane R. Short-Term Spiritual Guidance: A Contemporary Approach to a Classic Discipline, Creative Pastoral Care and Counseling. Fortress, 2004.
- Boers, Arthur P. The Way Is Made by Walking: A Pilgrimage Along the Camino de Santiago. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Caliguire, Mindy. Spiritual Friendship. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Dougherty, Rose Mary. Group Spiritual Direction: Community for Discernment. Paulist, 1995; (ed.), The Lived Experience of Group Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 2003.
- Dyckman, Katherine Marie, and L. Patrick Carroll. Inviting the Mystic, Supporting the Prophet: An Introduction to Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 1981.
- Edwards, Tilden. Spiritual Director, Spiritual Companion: Guide to Tending the Soul. Paulist, 2001; also Spiritual Friend: Reclaiming the Gift of Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 1980.
- Fischer, Kathleen R. Women at the Well: Feminist Perspectives on Spiritual Direction. Paulist, 1988.
- Fraser, Dahlia. Spiritual Direction - A Brief Introduction. Tyndale, 2008.
- Houston, James. The Disciple: Following the True Mentor. David C. Cook, 2007.
- Jinkens, Michael, et al. Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Politics of Spirituality, Hungry Hearts, vol. 14, 2 (Summer 2005). Pp. 16.
- Land, Steven Jack. Pentecostal Spirituality: A Passion for the Kingdom. Continuum, 1993.
- Leech, Kenneth. Soul Friend: Spiritual Direction in the Modern World. Morehouse, 2001.
- Louw, Daniël J. A Mature Faith: Spiritual Direction and Anthropology in a Theology of Pastoral Care and Counseling. Peeters, 1999.
- Merton, Thomas. Spiritual Direction and Meditation. Liturgical, 1960.
- Michael, Chester P. An Introduction to Spiritual Direction: A Psychological Approach for Directors and Directees. Paulist, 2003.
- Moon, Gary W., and David G. Benner. Spiritual Direction and the Care of Souls: A Guide to Christian Approaches and Practices. InterVarsity, 2004.
- Nemeck, Francis Kelly and M.T. Coombs. The Way of Spiritual Direction. Liturgical, 1993.
- O'Reilly, Maureen. Narrative theology and its application to the Christology of the Spiritual exercises. Ph.D. Thesis, University of St. Michael's College, Toronto, 1999.
Peterson, Eugene H. The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction. Eerdmans, 1993.
Under the Unpredictable Plant: An Exploration in Vocational Holiness. Eerdmans, 1994; Working the Angles: The Shape of Pastoral Integrity. Eerdmans, 1987.
- Ranft, Patricia. A Woman`s Way: The Forgotten History of Women Spiritual Directors. Rev`d ed. Palgrave Macmillan, 2000 (also copy).
- Reiser, William E. Seeking God in All Things: Theology and Spiritual Direction. Liturgical, 2004.
- Ruffing, Janet. Spiritual Direction: Beyond the Beginnings. Paulist, 2000.
- Sellner, Edward C. Stories of the Celtic Soul Friends: Their Meaning for Today. Paulist, 2003 (also copy).
- Stairs, Jean. Listening for the Soul: Pastoral Care and Spiritual Direction. Fortress, 2000.
- Vest, Norvene, ed. Still Listening: New Horizons in Spiritual Direction. Morehouse, 2000.
- Webb, Heather, and Eugene H. Peterson. Small Group Leadership as Spiritual Direction: Practical Ways to Blend an Ancient Art Into Your Contemporary Community. Zondervan, 2005.
- Williams, Brian A. The Potter`s Rib: Mentoring for Pastoral Formation. Regent College, 2005.
Christian Spirituality: Webpages
- Toward a Definition of Spiritual Formation (J. Greenman and D. Goertz)
- Sites devoted to Christian Spirituality
- Spirituality -Theology Library, Spring Hill College (Jesuits)
- Internet Theology Resources: Spirituality
- Sites Devoted to Christian Spirituality
- Christian Spirituality(online resources)
- On-line Resources to Medieval Spirituality
- Spiritual Formation Resources, Theooze.com
- Hungry Hearts (Journal of the Office of Spiritual Formation, Presbyterian Church USA). Archived articles.
- Spiritual Formation and Direction
- Spirituality and Faith Resources
- Missional Spirituality
- Early Church Fathers
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
- Renovaré - Richard Foster et al
- The Henri J.M. Nouwen Archives and Research Collection (University of St. Micheal`s College, Toronto)
- Spiritual Formation Links (Wheaton College)
- Taizé Community
- Northumbria Community (New Monasticism)
- Dallas Willard - Articles
- Who`s Who in Western Mysticism
- Conversations: Forum for Authentic Transformation
- Other Spiritual Formation links (Presbyterian Church USA).
- Liturgy of the Hours/Divine Office/Breviary
- Foster, Richard. "Spiritual Formation Agenda. Three Priorities for the Next Thirty Years." Christianity Today [online], Feb. 4, 2009.
- Foster, Richard and Dallas Wilard. "The Making of The Christian." Christianity Today. Interview on the Difference between Spiritual Formation and Discipleship.
- Muldoon, Tim. "Postmodern Spirituality and the Ignatian Fundamentum." In: A Jesuit Education Reader. Ed. George W. Traub. Loyola Press, 2008. Pp. 285-298.
- "Mother Teresa`s Crisis of Faith", Time, August 23, 2007 (Print version - Canadian edition, Sept 3, 2007).
- Smucker, Markus G. "Spiritual Direction and Spiritual Formation." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online, 1989.
- Vision: A Journal for Church and Theology, Issue: "Spirituality", Vol. 1, No. 1 (Fall 2000).
Other: Sociological Studies on Spirituality
- Flanagan, Kieran, and Peter C. Jupp, eds. A Sociology of Spirituality. Ashgate, 2007.
- Heelas, Paul, Linda Woodhead, and Benjamin Seel, eds. The Spiritual Revolution: Why Religion is Giving Way to Spirituality. Wiley-Blackwell, 2005.
Tyndale's Spiritual Formation Programs
- MDiv or MTS Spiritual Formation Program;
- Advanced level ThM degree in Spiritual Theology (contact Dr. Dennis Ngien, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Certified Spiritual Director Program;
- Tyndale Association of Spiritual Directors
This page was created and is maintained by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast, Ph.D.