Many of the links below connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Importantly, Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW). The Google Book Project also makes hard to find and expensive monographs readily accessible to students and researchers alike. This Reading Room collects those relevant materials on one page.
NB: For bibliographic management and notetaking while reading, Zotero is highly recommended ("a free, easy-to-use Mozilla Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources"). For page snapshots and printing of Google Book pages, try Microsoft's snipping tool (paste text into Word -- or Zotero).
"Trinity" in Theological Dictionaries and Encyclopedia
- "Trinity," Bruce Marshall. In: Blackwell Companion to Modern Theology. Ed. S. Gareth J. Jones. Wiley-Blackwell, 2004. Ch. 12.
- "Trinity," Catharine Tanner. In: Blackwell Companion to Political Theology. Ed. Peter Scott, William T. Cavanaugh. Wiley-Blackwell, 2004. Ch. 22.
- "God," Robert W. Jenson. In: Blackwell Encyclopedia of Modern Christian Thought. Ed. Alister E. McGrath and Duncan Forrester. Wiley-Blackwell, 1995. Pp. 234-245.
- "Trinity." Multiple articles from the Gale Virtual Reference Library (available only to Tyndale users).
- "The Triune God of the Gospel," Keven J. Vanhoozer. In: Cambridge Companion to Evangelical Theology, ed. T. Larson Cambridge University Press, 2007. Pp. 17-34
- "Trinity." Multiple articles from the Cambridge Collections Online series (available to Tyndale users).
- "Trinity," Peter Ochs. In: Dictionary of Jewish-Christian Relations. Ed. E. Kessler and N. Wenborn. Cambridge, 2005. Pp. 429-430.
- "Trinity," John F. Hoffmeyer. In: Encyclopedia of Christianity, vol. 5, Si-Z. Ed. Erwin Fahlbusch, ed. G.W. Bromiley, trans. Brill/Eerdmans, 2008. Pp. 243-551.
- "Trinity." Jewish Encyclopedia. 1901-1906.
- "Trinity," Cynthia Campbell. Encyclopedia of the Reformed Faith. Donald K. McKim, David F. Wright, eds. Westminster John Knox, 1992. Pp. 374-377.
- "Trinity, Triune God," V.-M. Kärkkäinen. In: Global Dictionary of Theology: A Resource for the Worldwide Church. Ed. W.A. Dyrness, V.-M. Kärkkäinen. InterVarsity, 2008.
- "Trinity, The Blessed," Catholic Encyclopedia (1917) Kevin Knight, on-line ed. (academic, but dated).
- "Trinität I-IV." In: Theologische Realenzyklopädie. Vol. 34. Walter de Gruyter, 2002. Pp. 91-120.
- "Trinity," (and copy for missing pages), J.P. Mackey. In: A New Dictionary of Christian Theology. Ed. Alan Richardson and John Bowden. SCM-Canterbury, 1983. Pp. 581-589.
- "Trinity," F. Sanders. In: The Oxford Handbook of Systematic Theology. Ed. Ian Torrance, John B. Webster, Kathryn Tanner. Oxford, 2007 (Tyndale students have access to full-text). Pp. 35-53.
- "Trinity," Westminster Handbook to Evangelical Theology. Ed. R.E. Olson. Westminster John Knox, 2004. Pp. 279-281.
- "Trinity." Westminster Handbook to Patristic Theology. Ed. J.A. McGuckin. Westminster John Knox, 2004. Pp. 338ff.
"Trinity": Chapters in Systematic Theologies / Articles
- Barth, Karl. "The Triune God." Church Dogmatics, vol. I/1: Doctrine of the Word of God. G.W. Bromiley and G.T. Thomson, trans. T&T Clark, 2005; § 8-9. See also the online Karl Barth Reading Room for more resources on Barth and Trinity).
- Berkhof, Lois. "The Holy Trinity." Systematic Theology. Eerdmans, 1996. Ch. 8, pp. 82-99.
- Bloesch, Donald. "The Mystery of the Trinity." Christian Foundations: God, the Almighty: Power, Wisdom, Holiness, Love. Intervarsity, 2006. Ch. 7, pp. 166-204 (and copy).
- Brunner, Emily. "The Triune God." Dogmatics, vol. 1. James Clarke, 2002. Ch. 16, pp. 205-239.
- Franke, John R. "The Subject of Theology: God as Triune." The Character of Theology. Baker, 2005. Ch. 2.
- Grenz, Stanley. "The Triune God." Theology for the Community of God. Eerdmans, Ch. 2, pp. 53-76.
- Gunton, Colin. "The Triune God of Christian Confession." The Christian Faith; An Introduction to Christian Doctrine. Wiley-Blackwell, 2002. Pp. 175-187.
- Guthrie, Shirley. "Who is God? The Doctrine of the Trinity." Christian Doctrine. Rev'd ed. Westminster John Knox, 1994. Ch. 5, pp. 70-96.
- Hart, David Bentley. "Trinity." The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth. Eerdmans, 2004. Pp. 155-248.
- Hodgson, Peter C. "The Triune Figuration of God: The One Who Loves in Freedom." Winds of the Spirit: A Constructive Christian Theology. Westminster John Knox, 1994. Ch. 11, pp. 151-172.
- Jenson, Robert. "The Triune Name of God." Christian Dogmatics, Vol. 1. Ed. Carl Braaten amd Robert Jenson. Fortress, 1984. Pp. 87-98 (see also larger section, "The Triune God," pp. 81-192).
- Jewett, Paul King, and Marguerite Shuster. "God is a Trinity of Holy Love." God, Creation, and Revelation: A Neo-Evangelical Theology. Eerdmans, 1991. Pp. 261-335.
- Jones, Joe R. "Triune God," In: A Grammar of Christian Faith. Systematic Explorations in Christian Life and Doctrine. Vol. 1. Rowman and Littlefield, 2002. Ch. 4, Pp. 149-198.
- LaCugna, Catherine Mowry. "The Trinitarian Mystery of God." Pp. 151-190; "The Baptismal Formula, Feminist Objections, and Trinitarian Theology," Journal of Ecumenical Studies 26, no. 2 (Spring 1989).
- Letham, Robert. "The Triune God," In: The Oxford Handbook of Evangelical Theology. Ed. Gerald McDermott. Oxford, 2010. Pp. 99-11 (full-text ebook for Tyndale students here)
- Lossky, Vladimir. "God inTrinity." The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church. St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1976. Ch. 3, pp. 44-66; "The Trinity." Orthodox Theology: An Introduction. St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1978. Pp. 36-50.
- McGrath, Alister. "The Doctrine of the Trinity." In: Christian Theology: An Introduction. 5th ed. Blackwell, 2010. Ch. 10 (also 4th ed. and 3rd ed.); also "The Trinity," Understanding Doctrine: Its Relevance and Purpose for Today. Zondervan, 1992.
- McKim, Donald. "Trinitarian Controversy: Who is God." Theological Turning Points: Major Issues in Christian Thought. John Knox Westminster, 1988. Ch. 1, pp. 4-21.
- Migliore, Daniel. "The Triune God." Faith Seeking Understanding: An Introduction to Christian Theology. Eerdmans, 2004. Ch. 4, p. 64-91.
- Newbigin, Lesslie. "The Mission of the Triune God." Unpublished, 1962.
- Pannenberg, Wolfhart. "The Trinitarian God." Systematic Theology, Vol. 1. Eerdmans, Ch. 5. Pp. 259-336 (and copy 1 and copy 2).
- von Balthasar, Hans Urs. "Deus Trinitas." Theo-Drama. Theological Dramatic Theory. Vol. III. Ignatius Press, 1992. Pp. 505-536.
- Williams, Rowan. "The Grammar of God" [Trinity], On Christian Theology. Blackwell, 2000. Part III, ch. 9-11, pp. 129-175ff.
"Trinity": Overview Texts / Monographs /Collections
- Coffey, David. Deus Trinitas: The Doctrine of the Triune God. Oxford, 1999.
- Coppedge, Allan. The God Who Is Triune: Revisioning the Christian Doctrine of God. InterVarsity, 2007.
- Farrelly, M. John. The Trinity: Rediscovering the Central Christian Mystery. Rowman and Littlefield, 2005.
- Grenz, Stanley. Rediscovering the Triune God: The Trinity in Contemporary Theology. Fortress, 2004; The Named God and the Question of Being: A Trinitarian Theo-ontology. Westminster John Knox, 2005.
- Gunton, Colin E. The Promise of Trinitarian Theology. Continuum, 2003 (and copy); The One, the Three, and the Many: God, Creation, and the Culture of Modernity. Cambridge University, 1993.
- Hill, William J. The Three-Personed God: The Trinity as a Mystery of Salvation. Catholic University of America, 1982.
- Hunt, Anne. What are they saying about the Trinity? Paulist, 1998.
- Jenson, Robert. Systematic Theology, vol. 1: The Triune God (see also mirror copy). Oxford University, 1997.
- La Due, William J. The Trinity Guide to the Trinity. Trinity Press, 2003.
- Marshall, Bruce D. Trinity and Truth. Cambridge University Press, 2000 (and copy).
- McGrath, Alister. Understanding the Trinity. Zondervan, 1988 (also reprinted here).
- Metzger, Paul Louis. Trinitarian Soundings in Systematic Theology. T & T Clark, 2005.
- Moltmann, Jürgen. The Trinity and the Kingdom: The Doctrine of God. M. Kohl, trans. Fortress, 1993. See the online Moltmann Reading Room for more texts on Moltmann and the Trinity).
- O'Collins, Gerald. The Tripersonal God: Understanding and Interpreting the Trinity. Paulist, 1999.
- Olsen, Roger. The Trinity. Eerdmans, 2002.
- Peters, Ted. God as Trinity: Relationality and Temporality in Divine Life. Westminster John Knox, 1993.
- Phan, Peter C., ed. The Cambridge Companion to the Trinity. Cambridge, 2011 (for Tyndale students full-text ebook access).
- Rahner, Karl. The Trinity. Continuum, 2001.
- Thompson, Johnson. Modern Trinitarian Perspectives. Oxford University Press, 1994.
- Trier, Daniel, and David Lauber, eds. Trinitarian Theology for the Church: Scripture, Community, Worship. Eerdmans, 2008.
- Torrance, Thomas F. The Christian Doctrine of God: One Being, Three Persons. T & T Clark, 1996 (and copy).
- Vanhoozer, Kevin. The Trinity in a Pluralistic Age: Theological Essays on Culture and Religion. Eerdmans, 1997.
- Volf, Miroslav. After Our Likeness: The Church as the Image of the Trinity. Eerdmans, 1998; with M. Welker, eds., God's Life in Trinity. Fortress, 2006.
- Zizioulus, John D. Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church. St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 1985.
"Trinity" in Classical Theology
- "The Triune God." In: The Teachings of the Church Fathers. Ed. J. R. Willis and M. J. Rouët de Journel. Ignatius Press, 2002. Ch. V, pp. 143-199.
- "Athenagorus of Athens on the Christian God;" "Irenaeus on the Trinity;" "Gregory of Nazianzus on the Gradual Revelation of the Trinity" (also here); "Hilary of Poitiers on the Trinity" (also here); "Gregory of Nyssa on Human Analogies of the Trinity" (also here and here); "Augustine on the Trinity;" "Epiphanius of Constantia on Sabellianism;" "The Eleventh Council of Toledo on the Trinity;" "Richard of St. Victor on Love within the Trinity;" "Thomas à Kempis on the Limits of Trinitarian Speculation" (from A. McGrath, ed., The Christian Theology Reader, 3rd ed. Blackwell, 2006; also 2nd ed., 2001).
- Schmid, Heinrich, ed. "Chap. II: Of the Holy Trinity." The Doctrinal Theology of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Exhibited, and Verified from the Original Sources. C.A. Hay, H.E. Jacobs, trans. Lutheran Publication Society, 1876. § 19, pp. 129-159.
- Irenaeus. "Demonstration of the Apostolic Preaching" (see sec. 6). Tr. J A. Robinson. SPCK/Macmillan, 1920 (also copy).
- Gregory Thaumaturgus. "On the Trinity." Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 6. Ed. P. Schaff. Christian Literature Publishing, 1896 (also copy).
- Hilary of Poitiers. "On the Trinity." Tr. E.W. Watson and L. Pullan. Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Second Series, Vol. 9. Ed. P. Schaff and H. Wace. Christian Literature Publishing, 1899 (also copy).
- Gregory of Nazianzus. "Fifth Theological Oration (Oration 31)" (see esp. sec. 26ff.); also Orations 33 and 39. Tr. C.G. Browne and J.E. Swallow. Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Second Series, Vol. 7. Ed. Philip Schaff and Henry Wace. Christian Literature, 1894 (also copy).
- Gregory of Nyssa, "On the Holy Trinity (to Eustathius);" "On 'Not Three Gods' (to Ablabius)." Tr. H.A. Wilson. Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, Second Series, Vol. 5. Ed. Philip Schaff and Henry Wace. Christian Literature Publishing, 1893 (also copy).
- Augustine. On the Trinity. Ed. G. Matthews. Cambridge, 2002 (also copy 1; copy 2)
- Boethius. "Trinity is One God, Not Three Gods," Consolation of Philosophy. Tr. H.F. Stewart and E.K. Rand, 1918.
- Richard of St. Victor. On the Trinity. Tr. Jonathan Couzer (pdf.).
- Thomas Aquinas. "The Blessed Trinity." Summa Theologica. First Part, q. 27-43. Tr. Fathers of the English Dominican Province. 2nd & rev'd ed., 1920.
- Calvin (compilation from the Institutes).
- Owen, John. Brief Declaration and Vindication of The Doctrine of the Trinity. Glasgow, 1798 (and copy).
- Schleiermacher, Friedrich. "Conclusion: The Divine Trinity," §§ 170-172, The Christian Faith (condensed presentation) in George Cross, ed., The Theology of Friedrich Schleiermacher. University of Chicago, 1911.
"Trinity": Specific Themes -Chapters, Essays
- Davis, Leo D. "The Trinitarian Problem and the Proposed Solutions before Nicaea." The First Seven Ecumenical Councils (325-787): Their History and Theology. Liturgical, 1990. Pp. 33-50.
- Emery, Gilles. "The Doctrine of the Trinity in St. Thomas Aquinas." Aquinas on doctrine: A Critical Introduction. Ed. T. G. Weinandy and J. Yocum. Continuum, 2004. Ch. 3, pp. 45-66 (also copy).
- Jowers, Dennis W. "The Theology of the Cross as Theology of the Trinity: A Critique of Jürgen Moltmannäs Staurocentric Trinitarianism." Tyndale Bulletin 52, no. 2 (1991): 245-266.
- Kelly, J.N.D. "The Doctrine of the Trinity." Early Christian Doctrine. Continuum, 2000. Ch. 10. 252-279.
Olson, Roger. "A Great Crisis Rocks the Church: A Controversy About the Trinity." The Story of Christian Theology: Twenty Centuries of Tradition and Reform. InterVarsity, 1999. Part III, pp. 137-196; also "The Fourth Century Cappadocian Fathers Meet to Settle on the Orthodox Doctrine of the Trinity." God in Dispute:
Conversations Among Great Christian Thinkers. Baker Academic, 2009. Ch. 7.
- Thompson, Thomas. "Interpretatio in bonem partem. Jürgen Moltmann on the Immanent Trinity." In Theology as Conversation: The Significance of Dialogue in Historical and Contemporary Theology. Ed. B. McCormick and K. Bender. Eerdmans, 2009. Pp. 159-178.
- ... in progress.
"Trinity": Specific Themes - Monographs; Dissertations
- Ayres, Lewis. Nicaea and its Legacy: An Approach to Fourth-Century Trinitarian Theology. Oxford University, 2005; Augustine and the Trinity. Cambridge University, 2010.
- Bacon, Hannah. What's Right with the Trinity? Conversations in Feminist Theology. Ashgate, 2009.
- Beeley, Christopher. Gregory of Nazianzus on the Trinity and the Knowledge of God: In Your Light we see Light. Oxford University Press, 2008.
- Behr, John. The Nicene Faith, Part Two: One of the Holy Trinity. St. Vladimir's Seminary Press, 2004.
- Cunningham, David S. These Three are One: The Practice of Trinitarian Theology. Blackwell, 1998.
- Curtis, Jason M. Trinity and Time: An Investigation into God's Being and his Relationship with the Created Order, with Special Reference to Karl Barth and Robert W. Jenson. Ph.D. thesis, University of Edinburgh, 2007 (pdf).
- Duck, Ruth, and Patricia Wilson-Kastner. Praising God: The Trinity in Christian Worship. Westminster John Knox, 1999.
- Dunham, Scott A. The Trinity and Creation in Augustine: An Ecological Analysis. SUNY, 2008.
- Emery, Gilles. The Trinitarian Theology of Saint Thomas Aquinas. Oxford, 2010.
- Fiddes, Paul. Participating in God: A Pastoral Doctrine of the Trinity. Westminster John Knox, 2000.
- Flett, John. The Witness of God. The Trinity, Missio Dei, Karl Barth, and the Nature of the Christian Community. Eerdmans, 2010.
- Fox, Patricia. God as Communion: John Zizioulas, Elizabeth Johnson, and the Retrieval of the Symbol of the Triune God. Liturgical Press, 2001.
- Gaston, Thomas E. Proto-Trinity: The Development of the Doctrine of the Trinity in the First and Second Christian Centuries.M.Phil. thesis, University of Birmingham, 2008 (pdf).
- Grenz, Stanley. The Social God and the Relational Self: A Trinitarian Theology of the Imago Dei. Westminster John Knox, 2001.
- Hall, Douglas C. The Trinity: An Analysis of St. Thomas Aquinas' "Expositio" of the "De Trinitate" of Boethius. Brill, 1992.
- Jüngel, Eberhard. God's Being is in Becoming: The Trinitarian Being of God in the Theology of Karl Barth. Tr. John Webster. Continuum International Publishing Group, 2004.
- Kärkkäinen, Veli-Matti. Trinity and Religious Pluralism: The Doctrine of the Trinity in Christian Theology of Religions. Ashgate, 2004.
- Langdon, Adrian. God the Eternal Contemporary: Trinity, Eternity and Time in Karl Barth's "Church Dogmatics." Ph.D. thesis, McGill University, Montreal, 2009 (pdf.).
- Lashier, Jackson Jay. The Trinitarian Theology of Irenaeus of Lyon. PhD thesis, Marquette University, 2011.
- Marmion, Declan, and Gesa Thiessen, ed. Trinity and Salvation: Theological, Spiritual and Aesthetic Perspectives. Peter Lang, 2009.
- O'Donnell, John J. The Mystery of the Triune God. Continuum.
- Park, Mann. Jürgen Moltmann's Theology of the Trinity and its Significance for Contemporary Social Questions--A Dialogical Approach. Ph.D. Thesis, University of St. Michael's College, Toronto, 2000 (pdf).
- Stewart, Melville Y., ed. The Trinity: East/West Dialogue. Kluwer, 2003.
- Marrocco, Mary. Participation in the Divine Life in St. Augustine's De Trinitate and Selected Contemporary Homiletic Discourses. Ph.D. thesis, St. Michael's College, Toronto, 2000 (pdf.).
- Metzger, Paul L., ed. Trinitarian Soundings in Systematic Theology. Continuum International, 2005.
- Molnar, Paul D. Thomas F. Torrance: Theologian of the Trinity. Ashgate, 2009; Divine Freedom and the Doctrine of the Immanent Trinity: In Dialogue with Karl Barth and Contemporary Theology. Continuum, 2005.
- Rusch, Wiliam, tr. and ed. The Trinitarian Controversy. Fortress, 1980.
- Tennent, Timothy. Invitation to World Missions: A Trinitarian Missiology for the Twenty-first Century. Kregel, 2010.
- Torrance, Thomas F. Trinitarian Perspectives: Toward Doctrinal Agreement. T & T Clark, 1994.
The missional paradigm informs every Tyndale Seminary program. If you would like more information about our programs, please contact our Seminary Admissions Counsellor.
This page was created and is maintained byneufeldt-fast [at] tyndale [dot] ca ( Arnold Neufeldt-Fast), Ph.D.