Certificate in Accessible Ministry Module 4: Ministering with Families with Disabilities
Saturday January 13, 2018
As a church, you desire to meet the needs of families in your community who experience disability, but aren’t sure where to start. Should you start with a program? Should you start with accessibility? Stephen Bedard is a pastor and a parent of children with disabilities who will provide first-hand experiences and practical tools as part of this interactive seminar. You will leave this module with renewed motivation, equipped to minister with families who experience disability.
Stephen J. Bedard
Stephen Bedard lives in St. Catharines, Ontario where he pastors at Queen Street Baptist Church. Steve has taught courses at Emmanual Bible College and Tyndale University College & Seminary. He holds a Master of Arts in Christian Studies from McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton and is currently completing a Doctorate in Ministry through Acadia Divinity College. He has written articles on autism for Autism Parenting Magazine, Kaleidoscope Magazine and Christian Week. He recently found out that he has autism, after parenting two children with autism for many years. Steve blogs on autism and apologetics.
- Introduce presenter, participants
- Course objectives
- What drew you to this course?
- What are you hoping to learn today?
9:15am: Session 1: The family experience of disability
- Presenting the big picture, including research on the need for disability ministry
- Dynamics of receiving a diagnosis, including stages of grief
- Physical disabilities, developmental disabilities and mental illness
- Effects of disability on the rest of the family
Story and video:
- Presenter will share his personal story.
- Videos of different families’ experiences of disability.
11:00am: Session 2: Accessible ministry and the church
- The role of the church in accessible ministry
- Models and examples of disability ministry
- Holistic ministry that takes in the needs of the entire families
Video: Highlights of various church disability ministries.
1:30pm: Session 3: Where do we go from here?
- Discussion of what this looks like in practice
- Summary of all the material
Activity: Case studies for students to work through: How would you minister to these families?