A variety of style manuals, grammar handbooks and other writing resources are available for use at the Writing Centre. Feel free to come in and browse our shelves!
We also recommend the following online resources:
- Tyndale Library Citation Guide
- Tyndale Seminary Research and Writing Guide - UPDATED (2014)
- Exegesis Paper Guidelines (Dr. Idestrom)
- Recommended Commentary Surveys (from the Seminary)
- MLA (The University of Wisconsin-Madison)
- SBL Supplement (Baylor University)
- Basic Documentation Styles with Sample Papers (Hacker and Somers)
- Documenting Electronic Sources (Purdue OWL)
*Check with your instructors to confirm their preferences for particular documentation styles.
- English as a Second Language - Ron C. Lee (Ph. D.) has designed a comprehensive site that includes grammar quizzes and exercises, an ESL online talking community, and other useful links.
- English as a Second Language Online - UsingEnglish.com provides another set of tools and resources for ESL students including forums, quizzes, and grammatical instruction.
- Smrt (not a typo) offers several brief and informative videos about writing, such as the following:
- The University of Saskatchewan's University Learning Centre interviews its professors on various topics including everything from critical reading to first person use.
- HyperGrammar (The University of Ottawa) - Covers such topics as grammar usage and writing style
- GrammarBook.com - A helpful guide to grammar and punctuation with free quizzes to practice and test your knowledge
Grammar Girl - Contains a search engine and posts interesting and informative articles on several topics
General Writing Guides
- The Elements of Style (Strunk) - Online version of the classic text
- Harvard Writing Centre - Provides guides to writing papers in several disciplines as well as general writing advice (e.g., writing effective introductions and conclusions)
- Purdue Online Writing Lab - Excellent site that contains information on a host of writing topics
- University of Toronto Writing Centre Advice
- A Writer's Reference, 7th ed. (Diana Hacker) - Free registration at this site provides access to a variety fo resources including sample papers and online writing and grammar exercises