Tyndale is a Christian university that prepares leaders for work in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, ministry and the global mission of the church. Tyndale offers fully accredited programs in a wide range of disciplines at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Currently, there are over 1,600 students representing over 40 denominations and 60 ethnic backgrounds and over 13,000 alumni. Founded in 1894, Tyndale is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
The Administrative Assistant: Wellness, facilitates the smooth, efficient, professional operation and caring atmosphere of the Tyndale Psychiatry Clinic and supports the Tyndale Wellness Centre Management team with administrative details as well as providing some support to other administrative and clinical staff.
1. Psychiatry Clinic
Report to Dr. Karen Wang who reports to Wilma Nevers
- Prepares patient charts and processes closed charts.
- Follows up with referring physicians and therapists on incomplete information and sends out consult reports.
- Schedules external tests and special procedures.
- Receives clinic patients, registers patients, enters visit on computer and ensures chart is ready for appointment.
- Prepares occasional communication/updates for Tyndale Counselling Services’ Weekly Staff Bulletins.
- Responds to telephone calls, voice mail and email messages and faxes.
- Schedules appointments; notifies patients/clients of cancelled clinics and provides alternative appointments.
- Prepares billing sheets, invoices for missed appointments and tracks clinic expenditures.
- Monitors office supplies and requests needed items from Tyndale Counselling Services.
Data Management and Statistics
Maintains referral-tracking system by entering required data for each referral.
General Office Coordination
- Provides support to clinical team to ensure the smooth flow of clinics.
- Other tasks as assigned.
2. General TWC Services
Reports to Coordinator
- Ongoing oversight of Outlook calendars of therapists and supervisors (tracking open spaces, booking supervision and meetings, etc.).
- Assists with closing and storage of paper client files, and destruction process for old client files and documents.
- Assists Assistant Director with administrative tasks associated with special programmes offered by TWC (such as “SEUS” for Counselling Majors, CitC).
- Responsible for organizing and maintain clinical resources. With assistance from the assigned intern (when applicable) maintains Resource Room (e.g, processing new library books. etc.). Organizes and processes soft copies of handouts, assessment tools, etc.
- Creates and updates yearly, the documents and spreadsheets used in the students’ intake/placement process. (Intake, Placement of Students, Intake Stats, Monitoring overall Space for Tyndale Students)
- Assists Coordinator with preparing, collecting and filing information in supervision files
- Organization Zoom meetings for team meetings, training sessions, etc.
- Provides reasonable coverage in the absence of other Admin staff.
When Coordinator not in (e.g. during vacation, breaks) covers Reception including responding to student and staff requests and booking students placement appointments.
Financial and Other
- Provide some admin support to the preparation of invoices for therapists working with community clients.
- Assists in preparation for staff training sessions during September training week and throughout the year.
- Works on other projects and tasks as assigned by the Coordinator.
Data Management and Statistics
- Assist in training staff in use of PRISM database. Facilitate PRISM drop in sessions.
- Data entry into Excel spreadsheets – FLC receipts, therapists’ information, etc.
- Provides required statistics regarding therapy and psychiatry sessions and others as required Director / Asst Director/Coordinator.
College Diploma in Administration, or related discipline
- One year of experience in a busy reception area, preferably in a health care and/or Christian environment.
- Some knowledge of, training in and/or experience with mental health and/or counselling field an asset.
- Basic training in Mental Health First Aid (or something similar).
Skills and Abilities
- Must have OSSD; completion of Medical Office Administration Certificate preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Microsoft Publisher.
- Knowledge of patient registration and scheduling systems.
- Basic math/accounting skills.
- Minimum 50 words per minute typing speed rate.
- Excellent time management, organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Tact and discretion in dealing with sensitive and confidential patient/client information.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and set priorities in a deadline oriented environment.
- Experience in a data management system or able to learn easily
- Team player with proven ability to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Professional, adaptable, strong work ethic, positive and friendly.
- A keen desire to serve family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to Tyndale’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
Physical and Mental Demands
- General office environment and equipment; working in a confidential area with noise filters on.
- Range from low to high levels of stress depending on the time of year.
- May encounter challenging people from time to time.
- Must be able to act to get immediate help for a client who comes in a mental health crisis.
- Must be able to work with distractions and very frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work on the computer for long periods.
- Minimal physical effort (some filing, photocopying and cleaning).
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter to employment [at] tyndale [dot] ca. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For general employment information send your resumé to:
Tyndale University, Human Resources
3377 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M2M 3S4
1-416-226-6620 ext 2103 fax: 1-416-226-6746
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyndale University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Should you need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation during the interview process are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for interview.