Tyndale is a Christian university that prepares leaders for work in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors, ministry and the global mission of the church. Tyndale offers fully accredited programs in a wide range of disciplines at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Currently, there are over 1,600 students representing over 40 denominations and 60 ethnic backgrounds and over 13,000 alumni. Founded in 1894, Tyndale is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Reporting to the Learning Specialist, the Consultant works as part of the team at Writing and Tutoring Services, a function of the Centre for Academic Excellence, to provide tailored writing and/or academic instruction in a welcoming environment. Based on the Consultant’s area(s) of specialization, the Consultant might assist students in any or all of the following ways: by offering students feedback and recommending strategies to refine their writing at any stage of the writing process; by assisting them with understanding course material; and/or by helping them develop skills and strategies for taking notes, researching, studying, and time management. The Consultant provides support primarily through one-on-one in-person sessions that last 30-60 minutes, though they may be asked to complete online sessions or to lead study groups for select courses.
- Promote a clean, professional, and welcoming atmosphere at the Writing and Tutoring Services office.
- On occasion, manage the opening and closing of the Writing and Tutoring Services office in the absence of the Learning Specialist and/or Senior Assistant.
- Assist with promotion, special events, creation of resources, and other tasks as determined by the Learning Specialist.
- Participate in training sessions and staff meetings facilitated by the Learning Specialist.
- Work in consultation with the Learning Specialist to ask for assistance and debrief sessions.
- Complete a post-session client report form for each session and submit time sheets to the Learning Specialist for approval.
- Provide individualized writing and/or academic support in consultations that last 30–60 minutes.
- Support students by listening to their concerns, reading their work, asking questions, and offering constructive feedback to help them become stronger writers.
- Help students to understand course material and/or develop skills and strategies for taking notes, researching, studying, and time management.
- Explain writing techniques and recommend relevant online and print resources.
- Ensure that student writers maintain ownership of their work. (Consultants may not write or edit papers for students. Please see Tyndale’s policy on Academic Integrity for more details.)
- Schedule student appointments and handle cancellations as required.
- Current Tyndale student (an undergraduate student who has completed a minimum of 10 courses at start of employment or a Seminary/graduate student)
- Good academic standing
- Tutoring, coaching, and/or teaching experience an asset
- Writing and editing experience an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to analyze and prioritize concerns under time constraints
- Flexibility and reliability
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team
- Experience with various citation styles an asset
- Enthusiasm for writing, course content, and supporting student learning
- Strong relational skills demonstrating approachability, patience, and encouragement
- Propensity for guiding and helping others
- A Christian with a keen desire to serve family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to Tyndale’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Standard office environment
- Ability to work 1-3 hour shifts
- Occasional need to come to campus for training, staff meetings, one-on-one sessions, etc.
- Comfortable conducting follow-up by phone and/or live video calls when requested.
- Stress may result from encountering challenging people; important to maintain a calm and professional demeanor
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
How to Apply
This position is for students only. Please refrain from applying if you are not a student returning to post-secondary education for the 2022-2023 Academic Year. External candidates can apply for the Consultant, Writing and Tutoring services position at the External Career Center. While we thank all those interested, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Internal candidates (current employees with active WFN accounts) can log in and apply on ADP Workforce Now through the Career Centre. The Career Center can be accessed through the path Myself > Talent > Career Center.
For general employment information send your resumé to:
Tyndale University, Human Resources
3377 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M2M 3S4
1-416-226-6620 ext 2103 fax: 1-416-226-6746
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyndale University provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Should you need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation during the interview process are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for interview.