Tyndale University College & Seminary is a multi-denominational, evangelical university college and seminary that prepares leaders for the ministry, marketplace and global mission of the church. Tyndale invites fully qualified candidates to apply for the following position; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The successful candidates will subscribe to and sign Tyndale's Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement.
The VP, Finance and Administration provides leadership and accountability to corporate finance, pan-institution corporate services (Business Office, Information Technology, Campus Operations, and Human Resources), ensuring that all services are delivered in an efficient, cost effective manner while compliant with applicable legislation, regulations, policies and procedures. The VP serves as a member of the Cabinet (senior executive team).
- Serve as the institutional Chief Financial Officer.
- Develop and implement financial strategies.
- Oversee and direct cash flow (operating and capital).
- Oversee the budgetary process and ensure compliance to policy and business strategy.
- Approve budget allocations and fund distribution to meet business objectives while ensuring financial health and sustainability.
- Oversee, direct, and approve all financial reporting, including financial statements.
- Oversee and appropriately direct risk management.
- Provide leadership in the area of pension and benefit design, maintenance and administration.
Administrative Leadership and Oversight
- Recruit, develop, motivate, lead, and mentor direct reports.
- Provide leadership, management coaching and strategic direction, including establishing, implementing, and monitoring achievement of short and long-range goals within the Finance & Administration departments (Business Office, Information Technology; Campus Services & Operations; and Human Resources).
- Develop the next generation of Tyndale leadership by identifying talented individuals and fostering their personal growth.
- Provide leadership in all matters pertaining to the efficient and cost-effective use of the Tyndale campus.
- Ensure a positive, safe and healthy work environment.
- Ensure that appropriate legislative and regulatory standards pertaining to accessibility for the disabled are met.
- Ensure appropriate risk assessment while ensuring appropriate management empowerment.
- Ensure compliance to all relevant legislation and regulations.
- Enable the President, the Board of Governors, and Cabinet to make timely, informed, responsible, and creative decisions that optimize the generation, development and use of campus resources (financial, physical, and human), manage risk appropriately, and maintain transparency, as appropriate.
- Participate in various institutional committees, Board of Governors, special committees and task force appointments.
- Business degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related disciplines
- Master’s degree, preferred
- Professional accounting certification, desirable but not required
- Minimum of 10 years of leadership with financial accountability; with at least 5 years at a senior executive level
- Solid experience in setting, implementing and achieving strategic business goals
- Solid experience in successfully envisioning, influencing and facilitating change
- Excellent understanding of the not-for-profit sector preferred
- Excellent understanding of the higher education environment (relevant experience preferred)
- Familiarity with how information technology (database systems, internet, social media, etc.) can be used to achieve Tyndale’s marketing and fund raising goals
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong communicator (written and verbal)
- Proficient influencing and negotiation skills
- In-depth understanding of office systems and business equipment
- Demonstrated solid advocate of ‘coaching’ as a means to achieve employee success and business results
- Strong overall leadership abilities, including the ability to build capacity, to be an agent of change within the framework of organizational values and traditions, to articulate departmental goals aligning with the institutional vision and mission and to inspire others
- A career history demonstrating personal values such as integrity, openness, transparency, mutual respect, trust, respect for cultural and ethnic diversity, and a caring and respectful approach to all interpersonal relationships
- Demonstrated professionalism and tact, with the ability to interact with vendors, contractors, and senior management
- Team oriented with the ability to take initiative and motivate others
- A passion for higher education and the desire to play a key role in preparing students to become exceptional members of society
- A Christian with a keen desire to serve family, church, work and community. A firm commitment to Tyndale’s mission, values, Statement of Faith and Community Standards Statement
Physical and Mental Demands
- Function in a highly demanding environment which requires constant scanning for issues and challenges against multiple priorities, threats and demands on limited resources. Manage significant workload involving complex issues, requiring decisions critical to Tyndale.
- Moderate to high level of stress. May result from dealing with emergencies, personnel issues, negotiating and liaising with contractors/vendors, multiple project deadlines, demands of Cabinet and Board members
- Availability for occasional non-standard business hours and travel as the business requires
Duties and responsibilities that do not constitute a major change may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of the supervisor either orally or in writing.
For general employment information send your resumé to:
Tyndale University College & Seminary, Human Resources
3377 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario. M2M 3S4
1-416-226-6620 ext 2103 fax: 1-416-226-6746
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyndale University College & Seminary provides support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities; including accommodation that takes into account an applicant’s accessibility needs. Should you need assistance, please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com
Applicants selected for an interview who require accommodation during the interview process are asked to advise accordingly upon the invitation for interview.