Event Type: Family Life Centre
This course will demonstrate how to combine Attachment Based Therapy techniques based off of Theraplay© and Play Therapy Techniques when working with children and their parents. An overview of an observational assessment tool (Marschak Interaction Method Assessment) will be reviewed to support the use of effective treatment planning for this model.
Theraplay® is a child and family therapy for building and enhancing attachment, self-esteem, trust in others, and joyful engagement. It is based on the natural patterns of playful, healthy interaction between parent and child and is personal, physical, and fun. Theraplay® interactions focus on four essential qualities found in parent-child relationships: Structure, Engagement, Nurture, and Challenge. Theraplay® sessions create an active, emotional connection between the child and parent or caregiver, resulting in a changed view of the self as worthy and lovable and of relationships as positive and rewarding.
Play Therapy strategies involve many tools including Cognitive Behaviour Play Therapy techniques which help to strengthen the clients ability towards mastery and resiliency. Combining how to use both for child and adolescent clients within the context of one session will be the focus of this workshop.
About the Instructor
Lorie Walton, E.C.E., B.A., B.Ed., M.Ed., RP
- Ontario Registered Psychotherapist #002118
- Certified Theraplay® Therapist Trainer Supervisor (C.T.T/TS)
- Certified Play Therapist Supervisor (C.P.T/S)
- Certified Gentle Sleep Coach (GSC)
- Owner of Family First Play Therapy Centre Inc, Bradford Ontario
Spring Garden Baptist Church
112 Spring Garden Ave, North York, ON M2N 3G3
Pricing (all three days)
- $350 - general admission
- $300 - student pricing (discount code needed, email flc [at] tyndale [dot] ca)
- 10% off general admission for alumni (discount code needed, email flc [at] tyndale [dot] ca)
Day 1 - Dec 4, 2019
Overview of the Marschak Interaction Method Assessment
This module will provide video and theory on how to administer and analyze the MIM with families
Day 2 - Dec 5, 2019
Core Concepts of and Overview of Theraplay
This module will focus on providing video and hands on learning to implement simple Theraplay strategies with children and parents
Day 3 - Dec 6, 2019
Combining Theraplay and Play Therapy techniques
This module will provide video and hands on learning and to demonstrate how to combine both modalities within one session
Registered Psychotherapists, Registered Social Workers, Marriage and Family Therapists and/or Any Professionals who work within the mental health field, or Students of, who work with children, youth and families and have a background and experience in working within therapeutic environments.
- Will refreshments be provided? Yes, light refreshments and beverages are covered in the registration fee
- Do I have to pay for parking? No, parking is free for all participants
- Do I have to printout my ticket? No, paper tickets are not necessary. Your legal name will be used at check-in.
Please contact flc [at] tyndale [dot] ca if you have any questions or concerns or call 416.226.6620 x4206 on weekdays during business hours.