Certification Information

Registration with the College

All practicing psychotherapists in Ontario will need to apply for membership in the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). The Tyndale M.Div. (Counselling Major – clinical track) degree is a recognized education and training program for the academic requirements for the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).

Certification by a Professional Organization

Counselling majors are encouraged to seek membership with a professional mental health association.

Every association sets standards for its members and is responsible to provide ethical standards within its membership.

The following is a comparison guide that differentiates each membership requirements.

Jump to:

American Association of Marriage And Family Therapists



Registered Marriage and Family Therapists (RMFT) are mental health professionals and relationship specialists. Marriage and family therapists are professionals with a minimum of a master’s degree and two years supervised clinical experience. They are regulated by standards that are based on the AAMFT’s Clinical Membership requirements.

RMFT's treat a wide range of problems using family systems theory, and other theories of psychotherapy. Marriage and Family Therapy has a preventative impact. Family therapy is an effective foundation in the treatment of a wide range of mental health symptoms and relationship concerns.


A master's degree in marriage and family therapy that includes 11 graduate courses:

  • 3 in marriage and family studies
  • 3 in marriage and family therapy
  • 3 in human development
  • 1 in research
  • 1 in ethics

    A minimum of 300 hours of supervised clinical practicum during graduate program. 1000 hours of direct client contact (couples, families and individuals) post graduation

Ontario Society of Psychotherapists (OSP)



Psychotherapy is an interpersonal, relational intervention that increases an individual's well-being and reduces subjective discomforting experiences.


A graduate degree from a recognized university with specific training in psychotherapy or in counselling practicum.

  • A minimum of 100 hours of one-on-one supervision
  • A minimum of 1000 hours of professional clinical work as a psychotherapists
  • A minimum of 150 hours of psychotherapy

Ontario Association of Consultants, Counsellors, Psychometerists and Psychotherapists (OACCPP)



Represent providers of mental health services in the general areas of consulting, counselling, psychoeducational assessment and psychotherapy.


A master's degree (prefered) in psychology, counselling, education, social work, divinity, medicine or other related programs with a significant component being psychology.

  • Fulfill all general member requirements
  • Provide proof of professional liability insurance through OACCPP or other equivalent insurance coverage
  • Have a minimum of 2 years of supervised practice in an educational institution, hospital, clinic or private practice
  • Present 2 references by professionals attesting to their ability to function according to standards set by the Association
  • Submit and critique one or more work samples in their area of expertise or specialization;

Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC)



A national multifaith organization which is committed to the professional education, certification and support of people involved in pastoral care and pastoral counselling. CASC provides educational programs for lay persons and clergy who are preparing to become chaplains, pastoral counsellors, ministers, priests, or community based pastoral care workers. 


  • Graduation from a recognized college or university
  • A qualifying graduate degree in theology or in a related clinical field.
  • Ordained or commissioned by a faith community
  • Demonstrated pastoral and professional experience
  • A minimum of 2000 hours of training including advanced S.P.E. education and demonstrated professional competence as certified by C.A.S.C.

Disclaimer: Unofficial Academic Information
For official academic information such as degree requirements, course descriptions, prerequisites, and schedules, please refer to the Office of the Registrar website.