You will find that most of the links below to newer, published, copyrighted books and articles are sufficiently numerous--and the previews sufficiently generous--to allow all who have access to the World Wide Web to enter into some of the most exciting and important discussions about the church in our day.
Missional Church: Foundational Texts
- Barrett, Lois Y. and Walter C. Hobbs. Treasure in Clay Jars: Patterns in Missional Faithfulness. Eerdmans, 2004.
- Bosch, David J. Believing in the Future: Toward a Missiology of Western Culture. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Gracewing, 1995.
- Brownson, James V. et al., eds. Stormfront: The Good News of God. Eerdmans, 2003.
- Conder, Tim and Dan B. Allender. The Church in Transition: The Journey of Existing Churches Into the Emerging Culture. Zondervan, 2006.
- Chilcote, Paul W., Laceye C. Warner, eds. The Study of Evangelism: Exploring A Missional Practice of the Church. Eerdmans, 2008.
- Collier, Jane and Rafael Esteban. From Complicity to Encounter: The Church and the Culture of Economism. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Continuum, 1999.
- Cragg, Kenneth. The Secular Experience of God. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Gracewing, 1998.
- Guder, Darrell L. and Lois Barrett et al. Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Guder, Darrell L. The Continuing Conversion of the Church. Eerdmans, 2000.
- Harvey, Barry A. Another City: An Ecclesiological Primer for a Post-Christian World. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Continuum, 1999.
- Hiebert, Paul. The Missiological Implications of Epistemological Shifts: Affirming Truth in a Modern/postmodern World. Continuum, 1999.
- Hunsberger, George R. ed. The Church between Gospel and Culture. The Emerging Mission in North America. Eerdmans, 1996; Bearing the Witness of the Spirit: Lesslie Newbigin's Theology of Cultural Plurality. Eerdmans, 1998.
- Kenneson, Philip D. Beyond Secularism: Re-Imagining the Church and World. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. TPI, 1999.
- McLaren, Brian D., A Generous Orthodoxy. Zondervan, 2006; The Church on the Other Side: Doing Ministry in the Postmodern Matrix. Revised. Zondervan, 2003.
- Newbigin, Lesslie. See both Newbigin.Net and Tyndale's Newbigin Reading Room for on-line materials by and on Newbigin.
- Pickard, Stephan K. Liberating Evangelism: Gospel, Theology, and the Dynamics of Communication. Continuum, 1999.
- Rouse, Rick and Craig Van Gelder, eds. A Field Guide for the Missional Congregation: Embarking on a Journey of Transformation. Augsburg Fortress, 2008.
- Snyder, Howard. The Community of the King. InterVarsity Press, 2004.
- Sweet, Leonard I., Brian D. McLaren and Jerry Haselmayer. A Is for Abductive: The Language of the Emerging Church. Zondervan, 2003.
- Taber, Charles R. To Understand the World, to Save the World: The Interface Between Missiology and the Social Sciences. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Continuum, 2000.
- Van Gelder, Craig. Confident Witness--changing World: Rediscovering the Gospel in North America. Eerdmans, 1999; The Missional Church in Context: Helping Congregations Develop Contextual Ministry. Eerdmans Publishing, 2007; The Missional Church and Denominations: Helping Congregations Develop a Missional Identity. Eerdmans, 2008.
- West, Charles C. Power, Truth, and Community in Modern Culture. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. Continuum, 1999.
- Wright, Christopher J. H. The Mission of God: Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative. InterVarsity, 2006.
Missional Leadership Resources
- Tyndale's Missional Leadership documents
- Tyndale's MDiv In-Ministry Resources for the Missional Church, including Missional Leadership Job Descriptors
- Creps, Earl, Dan Kimball. Off-Road Disciplines: Spiritual Adventures of Missional Leaders. Jossey-Bass Wiley, 2006.
- Gibbs, Eddie. LeadershipNext: Changing Leaders in a Changing Culture. InterVarsity Press, 2005.
- Gibbs, Eddie. Preparing Leaders for an Emerging Church. In: Mission to the World: Communicating the Gospel in the 21st Century. Ed. T. Engelvisken. Oxford Centre of Mission Studies.
- Greenman, J. The Value of Mentoring (Tyndale)
- Guder, Darrell L. Walking Worthily: Missional Leadership after Christendom. The Princeton Seminary Bulletin, Vol. 28 No. 3 (2007), pp. 251- ; Leadership in New-Congregations: New Church Development from the Perspective of Missional Theology. In: Extraordinary Leaders in Extraordinary Times: Unadorned Clay Pot Messengers. Ed. H. Stanley Wood. Eerdmans, 2006.
- Mancini, Will. Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement. Jossey-Bass, 2008.
- Roxburgh, Alan ALLELON -A Movement of Missional Leaders
- Roxburgh, Alan J. The Missionary Congregation, Leadership, and Liminality. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series. TPI, 1997.
- Roxburgh, Alan, Fred Romanuk, Eddie Gibbs. The Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World. Jossey-Bass Wiley, 2006.
- Sheffield, Dan. Leadership Requirements for the Multi-Cultural Congregation. McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry, Vol. 5 (2002).
- Suderman, Robert J. Missional Ecclesiology and Leadership: Toward an Understanding of the Emerging Church
- Sweet, Leonard. AquaChurch 2.0: Piloting Your Church in Today's Fluid Culture. David C. Cook, 2008.
- Woodward, J.R. Re-envisioning the Church with the Help of an Ancient Master: Engaging in the Craft of Equipping(Leadership for the Missional Church), 2008 (.pdf)
Other Leadership Materials
- Hybels, Bill. Courageous Leadership. Zondervan, 2002; also When Leadership and Discipleship Collide. Zondervan, 2007.
- Quinn, Robert E. and Kim S. Cameron, Jeff Degraff, Anjan V. Thakor. Competing Values Leadership: Creating Value in Organizations. Edward Elgar, 2006.
- Beeby, Harry B. Canon and Mission. Christian Mission and Modern Culture Series.Continuum, 1999; A Missional Approach to Renewed Interpretation, in: Renewing Biblical Interpretation. Ed. Craig G. Bartholomew, Colin J. D. Greene, Karl Möller. Zondervan, 2000. Ch. 13.
- Brownson, James V. Speaking the Truth in Love: New Testament Resources for a Missional Hermeneutic. Continuum, 1998.
- Missional Bible Study Questions (Tyndale's MDiv InMinistry Program)
- Redford, Shawn B. Appropriate Hermeneutics. In: Appropriate Christianity. Ed. Charles H. Kraft, Dean S. Gilliland. William Carey Library, 2005. Ch. 14.
- Ware, James P. The Mission of the Church in Paul's Letter to the Philippians in the Context of Ancient Judaism. Brill, 2005.
- Wright, Christopher. Mission of God. Unlocking the Bible's Grand Narrative. InterVarsity, 2006; see also edited extract; book review.
- Wright, Christopher J. H. Mission as a Matrix for Hermeneutics and Biblical Theology. In: Out of Egypt: Biblical Theology and Biblical Interpretation. Ed. Craig G. Bartholomew et al. Zondervan, 2004. Ch. 5 (limited preview).
- Congdon, David. Primer on Missional Theology.
- Flemming, Dean. Theology of Mission and Missional Theologizing.
- Franke, John. Teaching Theology from a Missional Perspective.
- Guder, Darrell L. From Mission and Theology to a Missional Theology, 2002; see also copy, The Princeton Seminary Bulletin Vol. 24 No. 1 (2003).
- Langmead, Ross. The Word Made Flesh: Towards an Incarnational Missiology. University Press of America, 2004.
- Missonal Church Network: Theology
- Perriman, Andrew. Otherways: In Search for an Emerging Theology. Lulu.Com, 2007.
- Roxburgh, Alan. What is Missional Church? An Interview with Craig Van Gelder (17 min. video), 2007.
- Tienou, Tite and Paul G. Hiebert. From Systematic and Biblical to Missional Theology. In: Appropriate Christianity. C.H. Kraft, D.S. Gilliland, eds. Wllm. Carey Library, 2005. Ch. 8.
- See also Tyndale MTS Modular's Systematic Theology Page
- Aleshire, Daniel O. Earthen Vessels: Hopeful Reflections on the Work and Future of Theological Schools. Eerdmans, 2008.
- Banks, Robert. Reenvisioning Theological Education: Exploring a Missional Alternative to Current Models. Eerdmans, 1999.
- Detrick, Don. Developing a Missional Mindset. Enrichment Journal, Assemblies of God.
- Greenman, Jeffrey. Toward a Missional Paradigm for Theological Educational (Tyndale Seminary)
- Ott, Bernhard. Beyond Fragmentation: Integrating Mission and Theological Education. A Critical Assessment of Some Recent Developments in Evangelical Theological Education. Oxford Centre for Mission Studies, 2001.
- Penner, Peter F. ed.Theological Education as Mission. Neufeld Verlag, 2005.
- Savage, Carl, William Presnell. Narrative Research in Ministry. A Postmodern Research Approach for Faith Communities. Wayne Oates Institute. 2008.
Other Missional Articles and Books
- Bakke, Ray. A Theology as Big as the City. InterVarsity Press, 1997.
- Billings, J. Todd. What makes a church missional?
- Bliese, Richard H., Craig Van Gelder. The Evangelizing Church: A Lutheran Contribution. Augsburg, 2005.
- Campagnola, Shelly. Come to the Table: Landing the Missional Church in Canada (Summary)
- Clapp, Rodney. A Peculiar People: The Church as Culture in a Post-Christian Society. InterVarsity, 1996.
- Dawn, Marva J. Worship to Form a Missional Community. Direction, vol. 28.2, Fall 1999; Truly the Community: Romans 12 and How to Be the Church. Eerdmans, 1997; A Royal Waste of Time: The Splendor of Worshiping God and Being Church for the World. Eerdmans, 1999; Is It a Lost Cause?: Having the Heart of God for the Church's Children. Eerdmans, 1997; How Shall We Worship?: Biblical Guidelines for the Worship Wars. Tyndale House, 2003; Joy in Our Weakness: A Gift of Hope from the Book of Revelation. Eerdmans, 2002; Reaching Out Without Dumbing Down: A Theology of Worship for the Turn-of-the-century Culture. Eerdmans, 1995; Keeping the Sabbath Wholly: Ceasing, Resting, Embracing, Feasting. Eerdmans, 1989; The Sense of the Call: A Sabbath Way of Life for Those Who Serve God, the Church, and the World. Eerdmans, 2006; Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God. Eerdmans, 2001; Unfettered Hope: A Call to Faithful Living in an Affluent Society. Westminster John Knox, 2003.
- Guder, Darrell L. Church as Missional Community. In: The Community of the Word: Toward an Evangelical Ecclesiology. Ed. Mark Husbands, Daniel J. Treier. InterVarsity Press, 2005; Growing Evangelizing Churches. In: Teaching Mission in a Global Context. Ed. Patricia Lloyd-Sidle and Bonnie Sue Lewis. Westminster John Knox Press, 2001.
- Hall, Douglas John. An Awkward Church. "Theology and Worship Occasional Papers." Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.
- Hsu, Albert Y. The Suburban Christian: Finding Spiritual Vitality in the Land of Plenty. InterVarsity Press, 2006.
- Keller, Tim. A Biblical Theology of the City.
- Migliore, Daniel. The Missionary God and the Missionary Church. The Princeton Seminary Bulletin, Vol. 19 No. 1 (1998). Pp. 14ff.
- Murray, Stuart. Translocal Ministry After Christendom (see also other articles by Murray on this site)
- Prosser, Bo, and Charles Qualls. Missional Framework for Marriage Ministry. In: Marriage Ministry: A Guidebook. Smyth & Helwys, 2004.
- Putman, David, Ed Stetzer. Breaking the Discipleship Code: Becoming a Missional Follower of Jesus. B&H Publishing Group, 2008.
- Putman, David and Ed Stetzer. Breaking the Missional Code: Your Church Can Become a Missionary in Your Community. B&H Publishing, 2006.
- Rempel, Elise. Worship in the Missional Church.
- Samuel, Vinay, Albrecht Hauser, eds. Proclaiming Christ in Christ's Way: Studies in Integral Evangelism. OCMS, 2006.
- Senter, Mark, Wesley Black, Chapman Clark, Malan Nel. Four Views of Youth Ministry and the Church: Inclusive Congregational, Preparatory, Missional, Strategic. Zondervan, 2001.
- Schattauer, Thomas H. Inside Out: Worship in an Age of Mission, Augsburg Fortress, 1999.
- Snyder, Howard. The Missional Church and the Missional Life
- Snyder, Howard. Creation Care and the Mission of God.
- Stetzer, Ed. Planting Missional Churches. B&H, 2006.
- Suderman, Robert J. Footprints: Indicators of a Missional Church.
- Suderman, Robert J. Navigating the Missional Church: Understanding the Journey.
- Towns, Elmer, Gary McIntosh, Paul E. Engle, Howard Snyder. Evaluating the Church Growth Movement: Five Views, Zondervan, 2004.
- Walls, Andrew F. From Christendom to World Christianity: Missions and the Demographic Transformation of the Church. The Princeton Seminary Bulletin, Vol. 22 No. 3 (2001). Pp. 306ff.
- White, Randy. Encounter God in the City: Onramps to Personal and Community Transformation. InterVarsity Press, 2006.
- Empirical Indicators of a "Missional Church" (Gospel and Our Culture Network)
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database --search "missional" - approx. 80 full-text articles available. Note: for Tyndale students and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet; search "missional; links to many good articles).
Religion in Canada
Missional Websites and Blogs
- After-Christendom Series (with great downloads -Stuart Murray)
- ALLELON -A Movement of Missional Leaders (Alan Roxburgh et al)
- Centre for Parish Development (with downloadable essays)
- Common Ground Journal
- Ekklesia Project (see Publications downloads)
- Emergent Village (Brian McLaren et al, with blogs, podcasts, etc.); see also Emerging Church Resources: A Beginners Reference Guide
- Forge Missional Training Network (Cam Roxburgh et al)
- Friend of Missional
- The Gospel and Our Culture (United Kingdom)
- The Gospel and Our Culture Network (USA)
- Lifeway Research - with Ed Stetzer's Blog
- Missional Challenge (Dave DeVries)
- Missional Church: A Primar, JR Woodward (definitions, extensive links - very good)
- Missional Church Center (Milfred Minatrea, Exec. Dir.)
- Missional Church Resources, annotated book list, Evangelical Fellowship of Canada
- Missional Church Network
- Missional Living in Suburban America, Todd Hiestand
- Newbigin On-Line Bibliography and Documents
- New Monasticism (Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, Shane Claiborne etc.)
- NextReformation (Len Hjalmarson; many impt. downloadable essays)
- Outbox: Missional Resource Blog (Presbyterian Global Fellowship)
- Resurgence Missional Theology Cooperative, Mark Driscoll (Mars Hill Church, Seattle)
- Tall Skinny Kiwi
Other Resources for the Missional Church
- Assessing your Church: Mission or Membership?
- First Hamilton [ON] Reformed Church. Sample Missional Church Vision/ Purpose Statement
- Congregational Assessment Inventories, Hartford Seminary
- Christian Faith and Postmodernity
- smallTall Music (Bryan Moyer Suderman's music for "small and tall" is explicitly missional)
Attactional/Missional Church Debate
Tim Keller - Characteristics of a Missional Church
- See Tim Keller's new book, The Reason for God: Belief in an Age Skepticism. Penguin/Dutton, 2008 (Christianity Today's 2009 Book Award Winner for Apologetics/Evangelism).
For other video netcast conversations on the missional church, see Allelon Netcasts