Academic Grading System
Grade: A+ (90-100%) 4.0; A (85-89%) 4.0; A- (80-84%) 3.7
Description: Excellent (exceeds expected standards in all respects)
- The student displays a comprehensive knowledge of the principles and materials treated in the course, fluency in communicating that knowledge and originality and independence in applying material and principles.
- The work also provides evidence of a significant awareness of and ability to interact with related scholarly literature that goes beyond the requirements of the course.
- The work exhibits few or no mechanical and stylistic errors.
- The work demonstrates proficiency in matters of grammar, spelling, sentence and paragraph structure.
- The student also demonstrates an unusual flexibility or inventiveness with words or structure that result in a striking individual style which is clear and lively in presentation without detracting from the academic nature of the work.
Grade:B+ (77-79%) 3.3; B (73-76%) 3.0; B- (70-72%) 2.7
Description: Good (exceeds expected standards in many respects)
- The work indicates a thorough grasp of the goals for this assignment within the context of the course.
- The work exhibits few mechanical and stylistic errors and demonstrates a reasonable organization and development of ideas.
- Ideas are clearly and logically expressed and are well supported by an obvious awareness of the relevant literature with appropriate documentation of all sources.
Grade: C+ (67-69 %) 2.3; C (63-66%) 2.0;
Description: Acceptable (meets expected standards)
The work displays a sufficient and basic understanding of the principles and materials treated in the course. However, the expression of that understanding is impeded by any of the following:
- lack of conceptual organization;
- lack of development and flow of ideas;
- inadequate use of and interaction with relevant scholarly literature;
- inadequate documentation of sources;
- significant inaccuracies and errors in regards to grammar and spelling;
- significant mechanical and stylistic errors.
Performance at this level meets graduation requirements.
Grade: C- (60-62%) 1.7; D+ (57-59%) 1.3; D (53-56%) 1.0; D- (50-52%) 0.7
Description: Poor (below expected standards)
- The work reveals a lack of understanding or serious misunderstanding of the principles and materials treated in the course.
- The work lacks a clearly defined thesis and/or fails to support the thesis with appropriate research.
- The development and flow of ideas throughout the paper are significantly below standard.
- Sources are not cited appropriately and the work relies mainly on summaries and paraphrased of other people’s work.
- The work contains poor sentence structure and punctuation and generally suffers by a lack of attention to matters of grammar and style.
- The work is inappropriately shorter or longer than the required length.
While a "D" is not a failure in a particular course (i.e., the professor does not see the need for the student to repeat the course), consistent work at this level would prohibit the student from graduating.
Grade: F (0-49%) 0.0
- The student displays inadequate or fragmentary knowledge of the principles and materials treated in the course. The student may have failed to complete the course requirements. The work may contain plagiarized materials.
P- Pass - No GPA assigned
CR- Credit Received - No GPA assigned
NC- No Credit Received - No GPA assigned
I- Incomplete - extension granted by the Registrar - No GPA assigned
W- Withdrawal - No GPA assigned
R- Repeated course - No GPA assigned
AU- Audit - non-credit - No GPA assigned
AG- Aegrotat Standing - No GPA assigned