Churches in Canada
- Canadian Council of Churches; links to Members and Affiliates of the Canadian Council of Churches.
- Evangelical Fellowship of Canada; links to Affiliates and Observers of the Evangelical Fellowship Canada
- Religion in Canada, Library and Archives Canada (Government of Canada)
- Resources by Denomination, maintained by Saundra Lipton, University of Calgary.
- www.PlacesOfWorship.ca; also Churches in the Greater Toronto Area
- Listing of Official Denominational Websites, USA.
- Canadian Members of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada.
- The Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion
Canadian Church Press
Read and search Canadian Church magazines and journals on-line
- Alliance Life (Christian and Missionary Alliance)
- Anglican Journal
- BC Christian News
- BC Catholic
- In Part (Brethren in Christ)
Canada Lutheran (Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada)
Religion in Canada: StatsCan - Religious Attendance (2008); StatsCan - Who's Religious? (2006); StatsCan -Religion in Canada (2001); Bibby--Comeback of Organized Religion (other Bibby papers); Stahl: Is Anyone in Canada Secular?; Goertz--Interpreting Demographic Data; Hartford Institute for Religion Research
- Canadian Baptist (Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec)
- Canadian Christianity (Cross-denominational)
- Canadian Friend (Quakers)
- Canadian Lutheran (Lutheran Church-Canada /Missouri Synod)
- Canadian Mennonite
- Catalyst (Citizens for Public Justice: Faith - Justice - Politics)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic Missions in Canada
- Catholic Register
- Channels (Presbyterian Fellowship Renewal)
- Christian Week
- Christianity.ca (Evangelical Fellowship of Canada)
- Esprit (Evangelical Lutheran Women)
- Evangelical Baptist (Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches)
- Faith and Friends (Salvation Army)
- Faith Today (Evangelical Fellowship Canada)
- Fellowship Magazine (Renewal Group of United Church of Canada)
- Geez Magazine
- Holiness Today (Nazarene)
- Maranatha News (Evangelical, non-denominational, Canadian monthly)
- Mennonite Brethren Herald
- Mosaic (Canadian Baptist Ministries)
- Mosaic (Free-Methodist Church in Canada)
- Presbyterian Record
- Salvationist (Salvation Army)
- Testimony (Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada)
- United Church Observer (other: see United Church of Canada 2011 Identity Survey)
- Vineline (Vineyard Churches of Canada)
- World Vision Canada News Centre
Understanding our Canadian Context
- See EBSCOhost /EBSCOhost Canadian (Tyndale`s ejournals) to search Canadian magazines and newspapers (with full-text articles)
- Toronto Star, CBC Toronto, Toronto Life, Globe and Mail
- Urban Photo - Toronto Collection (Christopher DeWolf)
- Spacing Toronto: Understanding the Urban Landscape
- Canadian Encyclopedia (includes Macleans Magazine, Youth Encyclopedia of Canada, and Encylopedia of Music in Canada)
- Multicultural Canada.ca
- Culture On-line: Made in Canada (Sorry, funding for this webpage was recently withdrawn by the Federal Department of Canadian Heritage [let them know your view!])
- UReach Toronto (Urban Research Assisting Churches in Toronto)
- Imagining Toronto
- Spacing Magazine: Understanding Toronto`s Urban Landscape
- Reading Toronto
- The following Canadian-based graduate study (Counselling Psychology) of Evangelicals and Fundamentalists who fall out of faith may be of interest to some: Karen H. Ross, Losing Faith in Fundamentalist Christianity: an Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis. MA Thesis, University of Toronot, 2009.
Canadian Church History
- History of the Church in Canada, Cdn. Council of Catholic Bishops; see also the Canadian Catholic Historical Association.
- Church History Resources, Anglican Church of Canada resources; also Alan Hayes`s site, Wycliffe College, University of Toronto.
- History of Pentecostalism in Canada, Tom Robinson, University of Lethbridge.
- Religion, Society and Culture in Newfoundland and Labrador, Hans Rollman, Memorial University
- Canadian Society of Church History
NB: Most links below connect you to scanned, published books and articles made available by Google Books (often 75% of content). Google Books allows you to search within a volume and also across volumes (rather than across the entire WWW). For page snapshots and printing of individual Google Book pages, try Microsoft's Snipping Tool.
- Airhart, Phyllis D. Serving the Present Age: Revivalism, Progressivism, and the Methodist Tradition in Canada. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1992.
- Attridge, Michael, Catherine E. Clifford, and Gilles Routhier, eds. Vatican II: Experiences Canadiennes - Canadian Experiences. University of Ottawa Press, 2011.
- Brackney, William H. Baptists in North America: An Historical Perspective. Wiley-Blackwell, 2006 (and copy).
- Bramadat, Paul, and David Seljak. Christianity and Ethnicity in Canada. University of Toronto Press, 2008.
- Bowen, Kurt. Christians in a Secular World: The Canadian Experience. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2005.
- Bruno-Jofré, Rosa del Carmen. The Missionary Oblate Sisters: Vision and Mission. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2005.
- Callaway, Timothy. Training Disciplined Soldiers for Christ: The Influence of American Fundamentalism on Prairie Bible Institute during the L.E. Maxwell Era (1922-1980). D.Th. thesis, University of South Africa, 2010. (pdf).
- Christie, Nancy, ed. Households of Faith: Family, Gender and Community in Canada, 1760-1969. McGill-Queen`s, 2002.
- Christie, Nancy, and Michael Gauvreau. A Full-Orbed Christianity: The Protestant Churches and Social Welfare in Canada, 1900-1940. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2001.
- Cooper, Brian. "Neither Sociology nor Socialism: The Evangelical Social Agenda of the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec, 1900-1945." Th.M. Thesis, Wycliffe College/University of Toronto, 2000 (pdf).
- Davies, Alan T., and Marilyn F. Nefsky. How Silent were the Churches? Canadian Protestantism and the Jewish Plight During the Nazi Era. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1997.
- Doll, Peter M. Revolution, Religion, and National Identity: Imperial Anglicanism in British North America, 1745-1795. Fairleigh Dickinson Univ Press, 2000.
- Emery, George N. The Methodist Church on the Prairies, 1896-1914. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2001.
- Fay, Terence J. A History of Canadian Catholics. McGill-Queen`s, 2002.
- Fraser, Brian J. The Social Uplifters: Presbyterian Progressives and the Social Gospel in Canada, 1875-1915. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1988; Church, College, and Clergy: A History of Theological Education at Knox College, Toronto, 1844-1994. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1995.
- Gauvreau, Michael. The Evangelical Century: College and Creed in English Canada from the Great Revival to the Great Depression. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1991; The Catholic Origins of Quebec`s Quiet Revolution, 1931-1970. McGill-Queen`s, 2005.
- Genizi, Haim. The Holocaust, Israel, and Canadian Protestant Churches. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2002.
- Gillard, Denise The Black Church in Canada, in: McMaster Journal of Theology and Ministry, Vol. 1 (1998).
- Grant, John Webster. The Church in the Canadian Era. Rev`d ed. Regent College, 1998.
- Greer, Allan, ed. The Jesuit Relations: Natives and Missionaries in Seventeenth-Century North America. Rev`d ed. Palgrave Macmillan, 2000; see also other writings by Greer on Jesuit relations; also R. G. Thwaites, ed., The Jesuit Relations and Allied Documents: Travels and Explorations of the Jesuit Missionaries in New France, 1610-1791, Vol. XXIII: Hurons, Quebec, Iroquois. Burrows Brothers, 1818/1896; click for complete set of volumes.
- Hamm, Peter M. Continuity & Change among Canadian Mennonite Brethren. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1987.
- Hayes, Alan. Anglicans in Canada: Controversies and Identity in Historical Perspective. University of Illinois Press, 2004 (and copy).
- Hutchinson, Roger. Prophets, Pastors, and Public Choices: Canadian Churches and the Mackenzie Valley Pipeline Debate. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1992.
- Klempa, William J. The Burning Bush and a Few Acres of Snow: The Presbyterian Contribution to Canadian Life and Culture. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1994.
- Laperriere, Guy and William Westfall, Religious Studies, in: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Canadian Society: A Guide to the Literature. Ed. Alan F. J. Artibise, McGill-Queen`s Press, 1990. Ch. 3, pp. 39-76.
- Lyon, David, and Marguerite Van Die, eds. Rethinking Church, State, and Modernity: Canada Between Europe and America. Univ. of Toronto, 2000.
- Magocsi, Paul R., ed. Encyclopedia of Canada`s Peoples. Univ. of Toronto, 1999.
- MacLeod, Donald. W. Stanford Reid: an evangelical Calvinist in the Academy. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2004.
- Maurutto, Paula. Governing Charities: Church and State in Toronto`s Catholic Archdiocese 1850-1950. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2003.
- McIntyre, William J. Children of Peace. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1994.
- Miedema, Gary Richard. For Canada`s Sake: Public Religion, Centennial Celebrations, the Re-making of Canada in the 1960s. McGill-Queen`s, 2005.
- Miller, James Rodger. Shingwauk`s Vision: A History of Native Residential Schools. University of Toronto Press, 1996.
- Muir, Elizabeth Gillan, and Marilyn Färdig Whiteley, eds. Changing Roles of Women Within the Christian Church in Canada. Univ. of Toronto, 1995.
- Noll, Mark A. The Old Religion in a New World: The History of North American Christianity. Eerdmans, 2002; A History of Christianity in the United States and Canada. Eerdmans, 1992; Canadian Counterpoint, in Mark A. Noll and L.E. Harlow eds., Religion and American Politics: From the Colonial Period to the Present. 2nd ed. Oxford, 2007 Ch. 18 (cf. also copy).
- Pitman, Walter G. The Baptists and Public Affairs in the Province of Canada, 1840-1867: 1840-1867. Ayer, 1980 (originally the author`s M.A. Thesis, University of Toronto, 1956).
- Pratt, Renate. In Good Faith: Canadian Churches Against Apartheid. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1997.
- Priestley, David T.D. Memory and Hope: Strands of Canadian Baptist History. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1996.
- Rawlyk, George A., and Mark A. Noll, eds. Amazing Grace: Evangelicalism in Australia, Britain, Canada, and the United States. McGill-Queen`s, 1994.
- Rawlyk, George A., ed. The Canadian Protestant Experience, 1760-1990. McGill-Queen`s, 1990.
- Rawlyk, George A., ed. Aspects of the Canadian Evangelical Experience. McGill-Queen`s, 1997.
- Rawlyk, George A. Is Jesus Your Personal Saviour?: In Search of Canadian Evangelicalism in the 1990s. McGill-Queen`s, 1996.
- Regehr, T.D., and F.H. Epp. Mennonites in Canada, 1939-1970: A People Transformed. University of Toronto Press, 1996.
- Reimer, Samuel Harold. Evangelicals and the Continental Divide: The Conservative Protestant Subculture in Canada and the United States. McGill-Queen`s, 2003.
- Russin, Geraldine Carol.The Ukrainian United Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 1903-1961, the history of a unique Canadian religious experience. MA dissertation, University of Manitoba, 1999 (pdf).
- Scobie, Charles H. H., and George A. Rawlyk, eds. The Contribution of Presbyterianism to the Maritime Provinces of Canada. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1997.
- Semple, Neil. The Lord`s Dominion: The History of Canadian Methodism. McGill-Queen`s, 1996.
- Simpson, Patricia. Marguerite Bourgeoys and Montreal, 1640-1665. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1997.
- Stackhouse, John G. Canadian Evangelicalism in the Twentieth Century: An Introduction to Its Character. Regent, 1998.
- Steinacher, Mark. An Aleatory Folk: An Historical-Theological Approach to the Transition of the Christian church in Canada from Fringe to Mainstream, 1792-1898. Th.D. Thesis, University of Toronto, 1999 (pdf).
- Van Die, Marguerite, ed. Religion and Public Life in Canada: Historical and Comparative Perspectives. Univ of Toronto, 2001; An Evangelical Mind: Nathanael Burwash and Methodist Tradition in Canada, 1939-1918. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1989.
- Vaudry, Richard W. The Free Church in Victorian Canada, 1844-1861. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1989; Anglicans and the Atlantic World: High Churchmen, Evangelicals, and the Quebec Connection. McGill-Queen`s Press, 2003.
- Wang, Jiwu. "His Dominion" and the "Yellow Peril": Protestant Missions to the Chinese Immigrants in Canada, 1859-1967. Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 2006.
- Westfall, William. Two Worlds: The Protestant Culture of Nineteenth-Century Ontario. McGill-Queen`s Press, 1990.
- See related dissertations from the University of Manitoba and Library and Archives Canada (pdf downloads)
- See the many viewable resources on Church Canada (search terms) made available by Google Books.
Encyclopedia of Religion in North America
- Contemporary American Religion. Wade Clark Roof, ed. Macmillan, 2000. 2 vols. (available as eBook to the Tyndale community only over the Gale Virtual Reference Library).
- Encyclopedia of Women and Religion in North America. Rosemary Skinner Keller, Rosemary Radford Ruether, and Marie Cantlon, eds. Indiana University, 2006. 3 vols. (available as eBook to the Tyndale community only over the Gale Virtual Reference Library).
- Melton's Encyclopedia of American Religions. J. Gordon Melton, ed. 8th ed. Gale, 2009. Pp. 1386 (available as eBook to the Tyndale community only over the Gale Virtual Reference Library; this massive volume is co-edited by Tyndale's Dr. Jim Beverley).
- Pocket Dictionary of North American Denominations: Over 100 Christian Groups Clearly and Concisely Defined. Todd Augustine and Drew Blankman, eds. InterVarsity, 2004.
- Arnal, Oscar L. To set the Captives Free: Liberation Theology in Canada. Between The Lines, 1998.
- Beaman, Lori G., ed. Religion and Canadian Society: Traditions, Transitions, and Innovations. Canadian Scholars` Press, 2006.
- Bibby, Reginald W. There`s Got to be More! Connecting Churches & Canadians. Wood Lake, 1995.
- Choquette, Robert. Canada`s Religions: An Historical Introduction. University of Ottawa Press, 2004.
- James, William Closson, ed. Locations of the Sacred: Essays on Religion, Literature, and Canadian Culture. Wilfrid Laurier Univ. Press, 1998.
- Mukasa, Kawuki. Belonging: Constructing a Canadian Theology of Inclusion. Kamu Kamu Publishing, 2005.
- Treat, James, ed. Native and Christian: Indigenous Voices on Religious Identity in the United States and Canada. Routledge, 1996. See also Treat`s edited volume of writings by Vine Deloria: For this Land: Writings on Religion in America. Routledge, 1999 (also copy 1 and copy 2).
- Canadian Museum of Civilization (search terms "Church Canada")
- Early Canadiana Online
- Christianity in Canada - Directory of Online Resources
- (... under construction)
- See Tyndale's eJournal Database -- many full-text articles available. Note: for Tyndale students, alumni and faculty only. (Choose EBSCOhost database; log in; choose "EBSCOhost" and then "All" databases; over 170 full-text theological journals available to you from home; for a few additional journals, go back to Tyndale Journal Database and choose the ProQuest Religion or JSTOR databases); see list of Tyndale's academic ejournals with full-text articles for download.
- Theological Journals Search (theological journals for which full text is freely available on the Internet; links to many good articles).
Canadian Church Initiatives
- Canadian Council of Churches, Biotechnology Reference Group
- Canadian Food Grains Bank
- Christian Peacemaker Teams (Canada)
- Church Council on Justice and Corrections
- Citizens for Public Justice: Faith - Justice - Politics (Canadian)
- Conscience Canada (Peace Tax Fund)
- Daily Bread Food Bank (Toronto)
- Evangelical Fellowship of Canada -Social Issues
- Habitat for Humanity - Canada
- International Justice Mission Canada
- KAIROS: Canadian Ecumenical Justice Initiatives (
- MCC: Mennonite Central Committee Canada
- Micah Challenge Canada (Christians Against Poverty)
- Project Ploughshares
- The Sharing Way (Canadian Baptist Ministries)
- World Relief Canada
This page was created and is maintained byneufeldt-fast [at] tyndale [dot] ca ( Arnold Neufeldt-Fast), Ph.D.