Tyndale University College & Seminary continues the tradition of decades of service out of its merger with and expansion of Toronto Bible Training School, Toronto Bible College, London College of Bible and Missions, Ontario Bible College, and Tyndale College.
Founded in 1894, Toronto Bible Training School was the third school of its kind to be established in North America and the first in Canada. Under the leadership of Dr. Elmore Harris, then minister of the historic Walmer Road Baptist Church, Toronto Bible Training School (TBTS) came into being. In 1912, the name was changed to Toronto Bible College (TBC). London College of Bible and Missions (LCBM) began in 1935, led by Dr. J. Wilmot Mahood. After the merger of TBC and LCBM in 1968, it was renamed Ontario Bible College (OBC). In 1976, OBC moved to north Toronto and developed a graduate school, Tyndale Seminary (formerly Ontario Theological Seminary).
The name Tyndale College was adopted in 1998 as part of a renewed vision to build a world-class centre of Christian higher education and to honour William Tyndale, the early English reformer whose commitment to making the Scriptures available to all persons led him to undertake the first English translation of the Bible, at the cost of his own life.
On June 26, 2003 the Ontario Legislature passed a bill which authorized us to change our name to Tyndale University College & Seminary and to offer the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degrees in the humanities, the social sciences, and business. In this new stage, Tyndale is continuing in this tradition as a place of scholarship and training for those who wish to be salt and light in the world.