The Bachelor of Religious Education (BRE) is a three-year professional degree designed to prepare students for ministry in churches, parachurch organizations, or missions. This is an excellent degree for those already in ministry or for those planning to become involved in ministry.
The BRE in General Ministries is intended to be a terminal degree for those who do not plan to pursue seminary studies. The recommended program for those intending to proceed to seminary after their undergraduate studies is the Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Religious Studies or in any of the humanities or social sciences offered at Tyndale (i.e., English, History, Philosophy, or Psychology).
The General Ministries focus allows a student to choose five CHRI courses (at least two at the 3000 level) beyond the core requirements, in consultation with his or her faculty advisor, according to the unique interests of the student.
For a future career in »
- Church Ministry
- Social Work
- Parachurch Ministry
BRE General Ministries Core Requirements (66 Credit Hours)
- [BSTH 101] Old Testament Scripture
- [BSTH 102] New Testament Scripture
- [BSTH 201] Hermeneutics
- [BSTH 270] Introduction to Christian Theology
- [BSTH 3__ ] Biblical Studies and Theology courses
- [BSTH ___ ] Biblical Studies and Theology courses
- [CHRI 101] Christian Life and Discipleship
- [CHRI 221] Educational History and Philosophy
- [CHRI 321] Principles and Practices of Teaching
- [CHRI 361] Global Christianity
- [ENGL 101] Introduction to Literature
- [ENGL 102] Introduction to Literature
- [ENGL 171] Literature and Composition
- [FDED] (Field Education) 102, 201, 202, 301, 302 (Units # 2 – 6)
- [HIST 251] History of Christianity I
- [HIST 252] History of Christianity II
- [INDS 101] University Studies in Christian Perspective
- [PHIL 171] Introduction to Philosophy
- [Fine Arts] Fine Arts elective course
- [Natural Sciences] Natural Sciences elective course
- [Social Sciences] Social Sciences elective courses
General Ministries Focus Requirements (15 Credit Hours)
- [CHRI 3__] (6) Christian Ministries courses
- [CHRI ___] (9) Christian Ministries courses
Electives (9 Credit Hours)
Total Degree Requirements: 90 Credit Hours
- At least 24 out of 90 credit hours must be taken at the 3000 or 4000 level.
- Minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and a minimum of 90 credit hours.
View Major/Minor Sheets »