Dr. Benjamin E. Reynolds
Title & Contact Info
Associate Professor of New Testament
Chair, Department of Biblical Studies and Theology
Email: breynolds [at] tyndale.ca
Phone: 416.226.6620 ext. 4125
PhD, University of Aberdeen, King's College, 2007
ThM, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2005
MDiv, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2003
BA, Westmont College, 1999
Areas of Specialization
The Gospels (with special emphasis on John); the use of the Old Testament in the New Testament; Jewish apocalypses; Messianism and mediator figures in Second Temple Judaism
Dr. Reynolds has taught at TyndaleU since 2009, and he enjoys teaching courses on the Gospels, Jesus, Second Temple Judaism, Greek, and hermeneutics. Dr. Reynolds values Tyndale's small class sizes and the opportunity to get to know students. He and his family often have students over to their home for dessert or a meal.
In 2016, he co-chaired a meeting under the auspices of the Enoch Seminar that was held in Camaldoli, Italy on the Gospel of John's Christology and Jewish messianism. His primary research areas are the Gospel of John, early Judaism, and Jewish apocalypticism. He is the author of The Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John (Mohr Siebeck, 2008), co-editor of three books, and has published articles in Biblica, Early Christianity, Henoch, Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus, Neotestamentica, and New Testament Studies. Dr. Reynolds is currently working on a book project comparing the Gospel of John and Jewish apocalypses.
- Jesus as Messiah
- Readings in New Testament Greek
Favourite Place on CampusThe disc golf course!
Favourite Place in TorontoThe Prince of Wales or Royal Alexandra Theatres with my wife when there is a good show in town. "Come from Away" has been one of our favourites!
- Anthropology and New Testament Theology (2018) (Book)
- The Son of Man Debate: Critical Readings (2018) (Book)
- The Jewish Apocalyptic Tradition and the Shaping of New Testament Thought (2017) (Book)
- Reconsidering the Relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the New Testament (2014) (Book)
- The Perfect Tense-Form and the Son of Man in John 3.13: Developments in Greek Grammar as a Viable Solution to the Ascent and... (2014) (Article)
- Apocalypticism in the Gospel of John's Written Revelation of Heavenly Things (2013) (Article)
- Logos (2013) (Article)
- The Otherworldly Mediators in 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch: A Comparison with Angelic Mediators in Ascent Apocalypses and in Daniel, Ezek ... (2013) (Chapter)
- The Johannine Son of Man and the Historical Jesus: Shall Ever the Twain Meet? John 9:35 as a Test Case (2011) (Article)
- The Use of the Son of Man Idiom in John (2011) (Chapter)
- Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John (2008) (Book)
- The 'One Like a Son of Man' According to the Old Greek of Daniel 7,13-14 (2008) (Article)
- The Testimony of Jesus and the Holy Spirit: The "We" of John 3:11 in its Literary Context (2007) (Article)