Dr. Dennis Ngien
Title & Contact Info
Professor of Systematic Theology
Director, ThM Program
Phone: 416.226.6620 ext. 2763
BA, University of Saskatchewan, 1982
MCS, Canadian Theological Seminary, 1984
MDiv, Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1986
STM, Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1988
PhD, St. Michael's College, University of Toronto, 1993
Areas of Specialization
Systematic Theology, Martin Luther, Reformation Theologies, Christology, Soteriology, Trinity, Medieval Theology
Dr. Ngien is the author of several monographs including The Suffering of God according to Martin Luther's Theologia Crucis (Peter Lang, 1995); Apologetic for Filioque in Medieval Theology (Paternoster, 2005); Luther as a Spiritual Adviser: The Interface of Theology and Piety in Luther's Devotional Writings (Paternoster, 2007); Gifted Response: The Triune God as the Causative Agency of our Responsive Worship (Paternoster, 2008), and Fruit for the Soul: Luther on the Lament Psalms (Fortress Press, 2015).
His articles have appeared in journals such as International Journal of Systematic Theology, Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, Evangelical Review of Theology, Heythrop Journal, etc. His article, "The God Who Suffers", appeared on Christianity Today's 50th anniversary webpage, and is considered one of the significant works.
Founder of Centre for Mentorship and Theological Reflection (dennisngiencentre.ca), he spends time in mentoring scholars, theological students, pastors, church leaders and assisting churches in advisory and teaching capacities.
Formerly nominated as Research Scholar at Blackfriars Hall, Oxford University, he now serves as Research Professor in Wycliffe College, University of Toronto. He was appointed as Fellow (2016) at the Centre for Reformation and Renaissance Studies, University of Toronto, where he completed his research and writing on his Luther’s Theology of the cross: Christ in Luther's Sermons on John (soon to be published).
- The Economic Actions of the Holy Spirit in Luther's Sermons on the Gospel of John (2016)
- Fruit for The Soul: Luther on the Lament Psalms (2015)
- Between the Lectern and the Pulpit: Essays in Honor of Victor A. Shepherd (2014)
- Interpretation of Love, God’s Love and Ours (2012)
- Giving Wings to the Soul (2011)
- A Faith Worth Believing, Living, and Commending (2008)
- Gifted Response: The Triune God as the Causative Agency of Our Responsive Worship (2008)
- Luther As Spiritual Advisor: The Interface Of Theology And Piety In Luther's Devotional Writings (2007)
- The Suffering of God According to Martin Luther's 'Theologia Crucis' (2005)
- Apologetic For Filioque In Medieval Theology (2004)