Dr. Dennis Ngien
Title & Contact Info
Alister E. McGrath Chair of Christian Thought and Spirituality
Director, ThM Program; Professor of Systematic Theology
Email: dngien [at] tyndale.ca
Phone: 416.226.6620 ext. 2763
BA, University of Saskatchewan, 1982
MCS, Canadian Theological Seminary, 1984
MDiv, Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1986
STM, Lutheran Theological Seminary, 1988
PhD, St. Michael's College, University of Toronto, 1993
Areas of Specialization
Systematic Theology, Martin Luther, Reformation Theologies, Christology, Soteriology, Trinity, Medieval Theology
Dr. Ngien is the author of several monographs including The Suffering of God according to Martin Luther's Theologia Crucis (Peter Lang, 1995); Apologetic for Filioque in Medieval Theology (Paternoster, 2005); Luther as a Spiritual Adviser: The Interface of Theology and Piety in Luther's Devotional Writings (Paternoster, 2007); Gifted Response: The Triune God as the Causative Agency of our Responsive Worship (Paternoster, 2008), Fruit for the Soul: Luther on the Lament Psalms (Fortress Press, 2015), and Luther's Theology of the Cross: Christ in Luther's Sermons on John (Cascade Books, 2018). He edited McGrath Festschrit, The Interface of Science, Theology, and Religion: Essays in Honor of Alister E. McGrath (Oregon: Wipf & Stock, 2019).
His articles have appeared in journals such as International Journal of Systematic Theology, Scottish Bulletin of Evangelical Theology, Evangelical Review of Theology, Heythrop Journal, etc. His article, "The God Who Suffers", appeared on Christianity Today's 50th anniversary webpage, and is considered one of the significant works.
His book, Reformation Spirituality: The Unity of Theology and Practice in Luther and Calvin, will be released next year (Baker Academic, 2021). Presently he is working on a new book, Galatians in Luther and Calvin, a comparative study.
- The Interface of Science, Theology, and Religion: Essays in Honor of Alister E. McGrath (2019) (Book)
- Luther's Theology of the Cross: Christ in Luther's Sermons on John (2018) (Book)
- Fruit for The Soul: Luther on the Lament Psalms (2015) (Book)
- Between the Lectern and the Pulpit: Essays in Honor of Victor A. Shepherd (2014) (Book)
- Gifted Response: The Triune God as the Causative Agency of Our Responsive Worship (2008) (Book)
- Luther As Spiritual Advisor: The Interface Of Theology And Piety In Luther's Devotional Writings (2007) (Book)
- Apologetic For Filioque In Medieval Theology (2004) (Book)
- The Suffering of God According to Martin Luther's 'Theologia Crucis' (1995) (Book)