Dr. Benjamin E. Reynolds
PhD, University of Aberdeen, King's College, 2007
ThM, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2005
MDiv, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, 2003
BA, Westmont College, 1999
Areas of Specialization
The Gospels (with special emphasis on John); the use of the Old Testament in the New Testament; Jewish apocalypses; Messianism and mediator figures in Second Temple Judaism
Dr. Reynolds has taught at Tyndale since 2009, and he enjoys teaching courses on the Gospels, Jesus, Second Temple Judaism, Greek, and hermeneutics. Dr. Reynolds values Tyndale's small class sizes and the opportunity to get to know students. He and his family often have students over to their home for dessert or a meal.
He serves on the board of directors for the Enoch Seminar and is the author of John among the Apocalypses: Jewish Apocalyptic Tradition and the "Apocalyptic" Gospel (Oxford, 2020) and The Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John (Mohr Siebeck, 2008). He has edited or co-edited four books and has published articles in Biblica, Early Christianity, Henoch, Journal for the Study of the Historical Jesus, Neotestamentica, and New Testament Studies. Dr. Reynolds is currently researching projects on the Gospel of John within early Judaism and the Second Temple context of Jesus's names.
- Jesus as Messiah
- Second Temple Judaism
Favourite Place on CampusThe disc golf course!
Favourite Place in TorontoThe Prince of Wales or Royal Alexandra Theatres with my wife when there is a good show in town. "Come from Away" has been one of our favourites!
- Isaiah in the New Testament (2023) (Chapter)
- Laura Tack. John 14:6 in Light of Jewish-Christian Dialogue: Sharing Truth on the Way to Life (2022) (Review)
- Son of Man (2022) (Article)
- The Son of Man (2022) (Article)
- John among the Apocalypses: Jewish Apocalyptic Tradition and the "Apocalyptic" Gospel (2020) (Book)
- Anthropology and New Testament Theology (2018) (Book)
- The Son of Man Problem: Critical Readings (2018) (Book)
- The Jewish Apocalyptic Tradition and the Shaping of New Testament Thought (2017) (Book)
- Reconsidering the Relationship between Biblical and Systematic Theology in the New Testament (2014) (Book)
- The Perfect Tense-Form and the Son of Man in John 3.13: Developments in Greek Grammar as a Viable Solution to the Ascent and... (2014) (Article)
- Apocalypticism in the Gospel of John's Written Revelation of Heavenly Things (2013) (Article)
- Logos (2013) (Article)
- The Otherworldly Mediators in 4 Ezra and 2 Baruch: A Comparison with Angelic Mediators in Ascent Apocalypses and in Daniel, Ezek ... (2013) (Chapter)
- The Johannine Son of Man and the Historical Jesus: Shall Ever the Twain Meet? John 9:35 as a Test Case (2011) (Article)
- The Use of the Son of Man Idiom in John (2011) (Chapter)
- Apocalyptic Son of Man in the Gospel of John (2008) (Book)
- The 'One Like a Son of Man' According to the Old Greek of Daniel 7,13-14 (2008) (Article)
- The Testimony of Jesus and the Holy Spirit: The "We" of John 3:11 in its Literary Context (2007) (Article)