Dr. Beth Green
Title & Contact Info
Provost & Chief Academic Officer
Email: bgreen [at] tyndale.ca
Phone: 416.226.6620 ext. 2114
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-4444-1305
DPhil, University of Oxford, Green Templeton College, 2009
MA, University of London, King’s College, 2002
PGCE, University of Cambridge, School of Education, 1999
BA, University of Oxford, The Queen’s College, 1998
Areas of Specialization
religious school ethos; leadership and management; teaching and learning; and social theory in education
Dr. Green earned her DPhil from Oxford University, funded by a prestigious Economic and Research Council scholarship. She is a Fellow of the Royal Society of the Arts and also a graduate of the University of Cambridge and the University of London. During her time at the University of London, she was awarded the Hans Prize in Education for her MA thesis in Education Management.
Dr. Green regularly publishes her research in international journals, including the British Journal of Sociology and Education and the Cambridge Journal of Education. Her many peer-reviewed articles explored the intersection of faith, learning and formation as they impact culture and society. She is also the current Canadian Regional Editor for the International Journal for Christianity and Education (IJCE). Her sought-after consultancy work takes her worldwide where she advises on effective approaches to measurement, professional development and pedagogy in the religious school sector.
She joins Tyndale after four years as Program Director of Education at Cardus, a Canadian faith-based think tank, where she focused her work on research and public policy in education, overseeing the significant expansion of the Cardus Education Program. She will continue to play a significant role with Cardus working on several ongoing initiatives in education research, at least through 2020. She has also been appointed as a Cardus Senior Fellow, working alongside others to provide strategic advice and input into the direction of Cardus’ education research program.
At Tyndale, Dr. Green will continue her work on current projects, including a manuscript providing Christian educators with commentary on dominant themes in contemporary education, in particular, innovation, character, excellence, measurement and school choice. She will also act as a resource to fellow faculty members as they shape their own research agendas. Her time with us will foster the capacity for academic writing and publication among Tyndale faculty.
- The Contours for Researching Religion and School Choice (2018) (Article)
- Measuring Complexity in the Classroom (Chapter) (2017) (Book)
- Religion in Schools (Chapter) (2017) (Book)
- Christian Faith in English Church Schools: Research Conversations with Christian Teachers. (2016) (Book)
- The Translation of Ethos in Joint Church Academies (Chapter) (2016) (Book)
- The negotiation and articulation of identity, position and ethos in Joint Church Academies (2014) (Article)
- Analysing religion and education in faith-based academies (2012) (Article)
- The Contribution of Secular Social Theory to Research in Christian Education (2012) (Article)
- What would Jesus do now in the classroom? The CREATe research project (2010) (Article)
- ‘Speaking in Parables’: The responses of students to a Bible-based ethos in a Christian City Technology College (2009) (Article)