Dr. James A. Beverley
Title & Contact Info
Email: jamesbeverley [at] sympatico.ca
BA (Hon), Acadia University, 1975
MDiv, Acadia University, 1977
MTh, University of Toronto, 1983
PhD, University of St. Michael's, 1994 College (Toronto)
Areas of Specialization
Apologetics, World and New Religions, Charismatic Christianity, Roman Catholic Theology, and Christian Ethics
Professor Beverley has taught at Tyndale since 1988. From 1978 until his move to Tyndale, he was a professor at at Crandall University in Moncton, NB. He is the author and editor of eighteen books, including Nelson’s Illustrated Guide to Religions (2009), Religions A to Z (2005), Mormon Crisis (2013), Evangelical Civil War (2020), and The QAnon Explosion (2020). He is also the Associate Director of the Institute for the Study of American Religion in Woodway, Texas.
He is a specialist on the study of new religions and did his Ph.D. thesis on the inner teachings of Sun Myung Moon. He has been interviewed frequently by the media including BBC radio, Finnish television, CBC Radio, The Los Angeles Times, CBC television, Syrian television, CTV News, The Globe & Mail, Washington Post, etc. He is a frequent writer for Christianity Today magazine and a columnist for Faith Today magazine. In 2000 he had a personal interview with His Holiness the Dalai Lama.
Professor Beverley is also an expert on the relationship of Christianity to Islam. He is the author of Christ and Islam (College Press, 1997), Understanding Islam (Thomas Nelson, 2001), Islamic Faith in America (Facts on File, 2002) and Getting Jesus Right: How Muslims Get Jesus and Islam Wrong (2015). He also wrote the entry on Muhammad in The Quran: An Encyclopedia (Routledge, 2005) and the entry on Islam in the six-volume Religions of the World (ABC Clio, 2009). He has done research on Islam in Africa, India, Europe, North America, and the Middle East.
Professor Beverley is a member of the American Academy of Religion, Evangelical Theological Society, and Canadian Society for the Study of Religion. His expert opinion has been sought in both criminal and civil trials, including the case of Holocaust denier Malcolm Ross. His testimony in a Toronto criminal case was included in a television documentary.
His wife Gloria is a retired kindergarten teacher from the Ontario Public School system. Jim and Gloria now live in Moncton. They have two adult children. Andrea is doing a a professor at Mount Allison University in Sackville, N.B. Their son Derek is an artist.
- Evangelical Civil War (2020) (Book)
- God's Man in the White House (2020) (Book)
- Getting Jesus Right: How Muslims Get Jesus and Islam Wrong (2015) (Book)
- Mormon Crisis (2013) (Book)
- Islam: An Introduction to Religion, Culture, and History (2011) (Book)
- Nelson's Illustrated Guide to Religions: A Comprehensive Introduction to the Religions of the World (2009) (Book)
- Counterfeit Code: Responding to the Da Vinci Heresies (2005) (Book)
- Religions A to Z: A Guide to the 100 Most Influential Religious Movements (2005) (Book)
- Islamic Faith in America (2003) (Book)
- Understanding Islam Nelson's Quick Guide To Religions (2001) (Book)
- Christ & Islam: Understanding the Faith of the Muslims (1997) (Book)
- Holy Laughter and the Toronto Blessing: An Investigative Report (1995) (Book)