Counselling Certification Information

All practicing psychotherapists in Ontario will need to apply for membership in the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO). The Tyndale MDiv Counselling Major clinical counselling track degree is a recognized education and training program for the academic requirements for the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario (CRPO).

Certification by a Professional Organization

Counselling majors are encouraged to seek membership with a professional mental health association. Every association sets standards for its members and is responsible to provide ethical standards within its membership.

The following is a comparison guide that differentiates each membership requirements:

American Association of Marriage And Family Therapists


Registered Marriage and Family Therapists (RMFT) are mental health professionals and relationship specialists. Marriage and family therapists are professionals with a minimum of a master’s degree and two years supervised clinical experience. They are regulated by standards that are based on the AAMFT’s Clinical Membership requirements.

RMFT's treat a wide range of problems using family systems theory, and other theories of psychotherapy. Marriage and Family Therapy has a preventative impact. Family therapy is an effective foundation in the treatment of a wide range of mental health symptoms and relationship concerns.


A master's degree in marriage and family therapy that includes 11 graduate courses:

  • 3 in marriage and family studies
  • 3 in marriage and family therapy
  • 3 in human development
  • 1 in research
  • 1 in ethics

A minimum of 300 hours of supervised clinical practicum during graduate program. 1000 hours of direct client contact (couples, families and individuals) post graduation.

Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy


CAMFT legally holds the title of RMFT (Registered Marriage and Family Therapist) and has recently set standards for membership very similar to AAMFT with only a few exceptions.

Educational Requirements

  • A qualifying degree will be defined as “an integrated course of study which includes a minimum of three to five of the required courses (see below) and which is obtained at an educational institution that is affiliated/accredited with/by the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada 
  • A qualifying Master's or Doctorate degree from an accredited educational institution where the degree specifies that the graduate has graduated from a Marriage/Couple and Family Therapy program
    • Note: ATS schools who meet the educational requirements will be considered eligible
    • In total, eleven courses are required in five basic areas of study (see below) for a total of 33 semester credits.

Recognizing the gravity of First Nations/Indigenous history and current issues for Canadian culture and identity, all candidates who have graduated after 2015 (completion of TRC) will be expected to have awareness of this history and these current issues, how they can be understood through a systemic perspective, and how they would be addressed in treatment.

Required Coursework

  • Marriage and Family Studies (a minimum of three courses required)
  • Marriage and Family Therapy (a minimum of three courses required)
  • Human Development (a minimum of three courses required)
  • Professional Ethics (a minimum of one course required)
  • Research (a minimum of one course required)

Practicum Requirements

The degree must include a supervised practicum (supervised client contact hours with individuals, couples, and families). A minimum of 150 supervised client contact hours is required.
The 150 practicum hours must be completed and, post graduation, an additional 1000 are required to become an RMFT

Ontario Society of Psychotherapists (OSP)


Psychotherapy is an interpersonal, relational intervention that increases an individual's well-being and reduces subjective discomforting experiences.


A graduate degree from a recognized university with specific training in psychotherapy or in counselling practicum.

  • A minimum of 100 hours of one-on-one supervision
  • A minimum of 1000 hours of professional clinical work as a psychotherapists
  • A minimum of 150 hours of psychotherapy

Ontario Association of Mental Health Professionals (OAMHP)


Represent providers of mental health services in the general areas of consulting, counselling, psychoeducational assessment and psychotherapy.


A master's degree (preferred) in psychology, counselling, education, social work, divinity, medicine or other related programs with a significant component being psychology.

  • Fulfill all general member requirements
  • Provide proof of professional liability insurance through OAMHP or other equivalent insurance coverage
  • Have a minimum of 2 years of supervised practice in an educational institution, hospital, clinic or private practice
  • Present 2 references by professionals attesting to their ability to function according to standards set by the Association
  • Submit and critique one or more work samples in their area of expertise or specialization

Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC)


A national multifaith organization which is committed to the professional education, certification and support of people involved in pastoral care and pastoral counselling. CASC provides educational programs for lay persons and clergy who are preparing to become chaplains, pastoral counsellors, ministers, priests, or community based pastoral care workers. 


  • Graduation from a recognized college or university
  • A qualifying graduate degree in theology or in a related clinical field.
  • Ordained or commissioned by a faith community
  • Demonstrated pastoral and professional experience
  • A minimum of 2000 hours of training including advanced S.P.E. education and demonstrated professional competence as certified by C.A.S.C.