Dr. Victor A. Shepherd
BA, University of Toronto, 1965
MA, University of Toronto, 1969
BD, Emmanuel College, University of Toronto, 1970
Post-graduate studies in New Testament, University of Aberdeen, 1973-1974
ThD, Emmanuel College, University of Toronto, 1978
STD (honoris causa), Roberts Wesleyan College, 1995
Areas of Specialization
Systematic Theology, Reformation Studies, Historical Theology, John Wesley, Philosophy, Jewish-Christian Relations
Dr. Shepherd has taught at Memorial University of Newfoundland, the Toronto School of Theology and McMaster University. He is also Professorial Fellow (Core Faculty) at Wycliffe College, University of Toronto where he both teaches and supervises graduate (chiefly Ph.D) students. In 2005 he was made Professor Ordinarius of The University of Oxford, U.K.
Author of 12 books (The Nature and Function of Faith in the Theology of John Calvin, Seasons of Grace, So Great A Cloud of Witnesses, Ponder and Pray, Making Sense of Christian Faith, Witnesses to the Word [translated into Turkish in 2004], Our Evangelical Faith [translated into Chinese in 2008], Do You Love Me?—And Other Questions Jesus Asks, Interpreting Martin Luther: An Introduction to His Life and Thought, A Ministry Dearer than Life, Mercy Immense and Free, The Committed Self: An Introduction to Existentialism for Christians), numerous audio-sets of lectures, as well as over three hundred articles, he has addressed learned societies both in Canada and abroad, including the North American Calvin Studies Society and the Oxford Institute of Methodist Theological Studies. Twice he has been invited to the International Calvin Studies Colloquium, those deemed to be the world's best one hundred Calvin scholars. He is a minister of the Presbyterian Church in Canada.
- Theology of the Human Person
- Theology of Martin Luther
- Theology of John Calvin
- Theology of Karl Barth
Favourite Place on CampusMy favourite place is the classroom, for it is there a life-altering encounter occurs that has the profoundest Kingdom-significance.
Favourite Place in TorontoAny church pulpit where I may preach; any classroom -- Tyndale University or University of Toronto -- where I may teach.
- The Committed Self: An Introduction to Existentialism for Christians (2015) (Book)
- 信仰深度行 Our Evangelical Faith (2012) (Book)
- Mercy Immense and Free: Essays on Wesley and Wesleyan Theology (2010) (Book)
- A Ministry Dearer Than Life: The Pastoral Legacy of John Calvin (2009) (Book)
- Interpreting Martin Luther: An Introduction to His Life and Thought (2008) (Book)
- Do You Love Me? And Other Questions Jesus Asks (2007) (Book)
- Our Evangelical Faith (2006) (Book)
- The Nature and Function of Faith in the Theology of John Calvin (2004) (Book)
- Witnesses to the Word (2001) (Book)
- Ponder and Pray (2000) (Book)
- Seasons of grace: Pathways from wilderness to wonder (2000) (Book)
- Making sense of Christian faith: Understood, Challenged & Lived (1990) (Book)