Rev. Dr. Rupen Das
Title & Contact Info
Email: rdas [at] tyndale.ca
DMin, Acadia Divinity College, Acadia University, 2014
MA, Syracuse University, 1979
BSc, Syracuse University, 1977
Certificate Disaster Management, University of Wisconsin
Certificate in Refugee Studies, York University, Canada
Certificates in Evaluating and Managing Evaluations of Humanitarian Action, ALNAP, UK
Areas of Specialization
Missions; global Christianity; the local church in the global South and international development; the interface of theology, poverty, compassion and social justice
Dr. Das is Research Professor at Tyndale University and the national Director of the Canadian Bible Society.
Previously he was on secondment from the Canadian Baptist Ministries to the European Baptist Federation (EBF) and also faculty in the Manchester MA program at the International Baptist Theological Study Center (IBTSC) based in Amsterdam. Prior to that he was the Program Director for the MRel in Middle Eastern and North African Studies at the Institute for Middle East Studies, Beirut, Lebanon and with the Lebanese Baptists heading their humanitarian response to the Syrian refugees.
Dr. Das was professor and Program Coordinator of International Project Management at Humber College in Toronto. He has extensive experience in humanitarian assistance and development, having been the Director for Emergency Response and Disaster Mitigation at World Vision Canada, WV's Field Director for the South Pacific, based in Papua New Guinea and Project Manager in Russia (a USAID project) and in Belarus (Chernobyl project). He has been involved in emergency responses in Kosovo, East Timor, India, Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria, among others. He was part of the Canadian team that did the pre-war assessment of the potential impact of war on the civilian population of Iraq in 2003.
As a consultant he has worked on projects for the Canadian Government, the Canadian CIMIC and DART, Pearson Peacekeeping Center, Plan Canada, Focus Humanitarian (part of the Aga Khan Network), World Vision International, International Development Support Services (IDSS Australia), among others. He has been adjunct faculty at Eastern University in the US. As an analyst he contributed to Oxford Analytica on humanitarian issues. Previously, he had been on staff with the Navigators.
Dr. Das has been a 21st Century Fellow in the UK, an Ashoka Fellow, and Visiting Scholar at Harvard University.
- The Mission of God and the Role of Christian Humanitarian Agencies (2020) (Chapter)
- Relief and Development in the Mission of God Publisher: Langham Global Library (2019) (Chapter)
- Becoming A Follower of Christ: Exploring Conversion Through Historical and Missiological Lenses (2018) (Article)
- Connecting Curriculum and Context: Foundations for Relevance in Theological Education (2018) (Chapter)
- From Displacement to Diaspora (2018) (Chapter)
- Review: God’s People on the Move: Biblical and Global Perspectives on Migration and Mission, and Religion, Migration and Identity: Methodological and Theological Explorations (2018) (Review)
- The Poor and Poverty in Islam – Compassion and Social Justice (2018) (Book)
- The Poor and Poverty in the Religions (2018) (Book)
- The World of the Poor: How Development Professionals Understand and Assess Poverty (2018) (Chapter)
- A Compassionate Community: What did the Early Church teach that made Christians “Lovers of the Poor”? (2017) (Article)
- Book Review - Leading a Multicultural Church by Michael Patten (2017) (Review)
- Strangers in the Kingdom: Refugees, Migrants and the Stateless (2017) (Book)
- Book Review - Remember the Poor: Paul, Poverty and the Greco-Roman World (2016) (Review)
- Compassion and the Mission of God: Revealing the Invisible Kingdom (2016) (Book)
- God and Refugees: Foundations for Hope (2016) (Article)
- Refugees: Exploring Theological and Missiological Foundations (2016) (Article)
- Relevance and Faithfulness: Challenges in Contextualizing Theological Education (2016) (Article)
- Connecting Curriculum with Context: A Handbook for Context Relevant Curriculum Development in Theological Education (2015) (Book)
- The Impact of the Local Church Showing Compassion: Lessons from the Syrian Crisis (2015) (Article)
- Profiles of Poverty: The Human Face of Poverty in Lebanon (2011) (Book)
- Food Security and Food Sovereignty in Iraq:The Impact of War and Sanction on the Civilian Population (2007) (Article)
- Humanitarian Space in Unconventional Warfare (2007) (Chapter)
- Dealing With War Trauma: A Do No Harm Perspective (2000) (Chapter)