Celebration of Van Norman Alumni Hall

Monday, January 29, 2018

On January 23, 2018, the Tyndale community gathered together to celebrate the dedication of the Van Norman Alumni Hall. Ian and Alice Marie Van Norman have been long-time supporters and honourary alumni of Tyndale. They have created a legacy of weaving their faith and entrepreneurial skills within the Canadian business community. With Ian’s business minded tenacity and Alice’s ambitious and hardworking spirit, they formed a dedicated team that positively influenced local and global ministry and development projects.

“One of the exciting things about Ian and Alice is that they represent the idea that ministry is not necessarily just in the church, but that you can be called wherever you are,” shared President Dr. Gary Nelson at the dedication event. Their generosity lead to the revitalization of the Van Norman Worship and Study Centre, located at the previous Ballyconnor campus in 2004, and the establishment of the Van Norman Chair of Business in the spring of 2011. The Van Normans received Tyndale’s Honorary Doctorate of Divinity in 2015.

The celebration continued on this day with students honouring supporters through 80/20 Day. This day illustrates that around this time of year, figuratively, 80% of the cost for the academic year has been paid by students. The remaining 20% is covered by faithful alumni and supporters through their generous contributions. The event provides an opportunity for students to hear about the alumni heritage of philanthropy and giving.

Students took the opportunity to sign a “Thank You” mural to express their appreciation to alumni and supporters. Lunch was also available for a toonie where all proceeds went towards creating a student bursary.

 

» View more news