The Spiritual Formation Track focuses on experiencing personal spiritual growth, understanding the dynamics of spirituality, and facilitating the spiritual formation of others. This track is ideal for anyone involved in formational ministry (e.g., spiritual direction, pastoring, Christian education, youth ministry, etc.). It applies insights from theology, psychology, sociology, education and spirituality to a variety of formational ministries. This track satisfies the academic course requirements for becoming a Certified Spiritual Director (CSD).
Program Format & Courses
The Spiritual Formation Track is a cohort model, with some sequenced courses. Students will complete 12 courses within 3 years, with distance learning and residency phases each year.
- The distance learning phase includes reading, writing, research, reflection, application, and collaboration primarily supported by teachers, personal growth coaches, and research portfolio advisors.
- The Spiritual Formation residency phases are retreat-style for two weeks in June and one week in January. Students stay in the Tyndale residence or a retreat centre for the duration of these retreats. It includes times of teaching, worship, communal meals and prayer throughout the day and evening.
Course titles, descriptions and sequence may be modified when warranted after due process by the DMin Program Committee and Academic Planning Committee.
Year A: Formation of the Person
- DMSF 0901 Listening to God: Discernment for Spiritual Formation
- DMSF 0902 Spiritual Formation: A Historical and Practical Approach
- DMSF 0911 Space for God: Personalizing Sacred Practices
- DMSF 0941 Spiritual Autobiography: The Ways of the Spirit in a Life†
Year B: Formation of the Community
- DMSF 0903 Desiring God: Sacred Paths and Spiritual Mentors
- DMSF 0905 Engaging Scriptures: Spiritual Formation for Information and Transformation
- DMSF 0912 Nurturing Spirituality: A Lifestyle of Mentoring, Discipleship and Spiritual Direction
- DMSF 0942 Developing a Model of Spiritual Formation: Ministry Project
Year C: Applying Your Formation
- DMSF 0904 Formational Prayer: The Journey to Wholeness
- DMSF 0930 Special Topics in Spiritual Formation
- DMSF 0943 Action Research Project
- DMSF 0947 Integration: Research Portfolio and Hearing†
Spiritual Formation Faculty & Instructors
Marilyn Draper is the Assistant Professor of Practical Theology and has theological expertise along with years of frontline experience as a church planter, pastor and campus ministry worker. Along with several published works, she is an experienced lecturer, preacher and speaker.
Patrick Franklin is the Associate Professor of Theology and has extensive experience as a highly regarded scholar, published author, accomplished teacher and seasoned ministry practitioner. He has served in church leadership and campus ministry and has taught in Manitoba as the Associate Professor of Theology & Ethics.
Wil Hernandez is the founder and executive director of CentreQuest and manager of the Nouwen Legacy Associates. He is a trained councilor and spiritual director, he regularly conducts retreats across North America and abroad and teaches on the spirituality of Henri Nouwen in various Protestant and Catholic seminaries and universities.
Len Hjalmarson pastors at First Baptist Church in Thunder Bay and teaches at George Fox College and McMaster Divinity College. He has written and taught on leadership and spiritual formation and is presently working on a collaborative project mapping the spiritual geography of Canada’s urban centres.
Neal Siler is the Senior Pastor of First Shiloh Baptist Church, a clinician and the founder of The Healing Place Center for Counselling and Spiritual Formation. He holds a PhD in Counselling Psychology and a DMin in Formal Counselling.
Jim Wilhoit is Professor of Core Studies and Scripture Press Chair of Christian Formation and Ministry at Wheaton College and has taught for over 35 years. He has written extensively on Christian education and spiritual formation and is a consulting editor for the Journal of Spiritual Formation & Soul Care.