This course was designed for those seeking to become certified spiritual directors. Students learn the art and practice of spiritual direction through weekly practices of soul care, teaching, supervised in-class sessions, group and individual supervision, as well as providing bi-weekly spiritual direction to directees. Through these multi-faceted experiences, students explore their capacity to help others attend to God’s presence in their lives while living out a theology of love for God, self and others. The two courses run consecutively from September to April. Students must register for both courses.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
1. Formulate a theological and biblical foundation for the practice of spiritual direction and practice theological reflection as the basis for ongoing conversion.
2. Employ hospitable, deep listening as a means helping others attend more deeply to God’s presence and leading in their lives.
3. Appraise and employ wisdom from key authors and literature pertaining to the ancient roots and contemporary practices of spiritual direction.
4. Explain key components related to spiritual formation and direction, including but not limited to the contours of a healthy growing faith and spiritual pathways; deepening intimacy and prayer, God image, discernment, self-image and self-awareness; theological reflection, sin, suffering, forgiveness and healing; community, cultural sensitivity and growth “for the sake of others” (Reference: Spiritual Direction Competencies, 2021-2022).
5. Practice listening prayer, ongoing reflection and supervision as essential to personal maturation and integrity of practice.
6. Recognize one’s gifts and growing edges, posture and ongoing discernment related to the (ongoing) call of spiritual direction.
- completion of SPIR 0700, SPIR 0610, SPIR 0609, SPIR 0601
- successful interview with the instructor (prior to June 30 for the following Fall semester)
- evidence of having met with a Spiritual Director for at least one year
- three references submitted to the internship instrucor
- a clear Vulnerable Sector Check done prior to registering for the course