President Gary V. Nelson, DMin
Dr. Gary V. Nelson is a published author, dynamic speaker and recognized Christian leader in Canada and around the world. On July 1, 2010, Dr. Nelson began his term as the 12th President and Vice Chancellor of Tyndale University.
Prior to becoming president of Tyndale, Dr. Nelson served for 10 years as General Secretary of Canadian Baptist Ministries (CBM), the national and global working arm of Canadian Baptists. During those years, CBM experienced striking capacity growth, expanding the organization’s global impact in the areas of leadership development, theological education, sustainable community development and the development of key educational resources for congregations across Canada.
As a ministry leader, Dr. Nelson has served in a number of congregations both in staff and senior ministry roles. As senior pastor of First Baptist Church (Edmonton, Alberta) in the 1990s, Dr. Nelson was involved in the revitalizing and renewing of this historic downtown congregation into a creative and dynamic contemporary congregation.
Since becoming president of Tyndale, Dr. Nelson has nurtured change in positioning the university as a high quality Canadian academic institution.
Tyndale prepares women and men for graduate studies and careers in business, international development, education, psychology, ministry and more. The world is changing rapidly; cultural shifts in a complex world mean that Christians are facing new challenges as they seek to influence the world for Christ. With this changing global context, Dr. Nelson has faithfully led Tyndale through its own set of unique changes and obstacles. In 2014, Tyndale began major renovations to its new 56-acre campus on Bayview Avenue to equip it with the facilities of a modern university. In the same year, Tyndale celebrated its 120th anniversary as an institution. The transition to the new campus was completed in the spring of 2015.
Tyndale’s rich history is rooted in its ability to meet strategic challenges and societal changes head-on. Dr. Nelson is passionate about leading Tyndale into this unique season of institutional change so that its mission to prepare God’s people to be salt and light can unfold in a world that needs the hope and healing power of the gospel in all its facets.
- Doctor of Ministry (DMin), Fuller Theological Seminary, 1987
- Master of Divinity (MDiv), Fuller Theological Seminary, 1980
- Bachelor of Education (BEd), University of British Columbia, 1976
- Previous: Adjunct Professor at Taylor Seminary (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Previous: Adjunct Professor at Carey Theological College (Vancouver, British Columbia)
- Previous: Chair of the Doctoral Committee at St. Stephen College, University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta)
- Academic instruction in North America: McMaster Divinity College, Regent College, Acadia Divinity College, Briercrest Seminary, Ambrose Theological Seminary and Fuller Theological Seminary
- Academic instruction internationally: India, Germany, Kenya, Bolivia, Prague, Czech Republic and Australia
- Represented Canada at the Lausanne Movement Consultation on Global Theological Education
- Chair of the World Relief Committee, Baptist World Alliance
- Member of the Board of the Arab Baptist Theological Seminary (Beirut, Lebanon)
- Member of the Advisory Committee of Faith Today magazine
- Former General Secretary, Canada Baptist Ministries (CBM)
- Former Vice President of the Baptist World Alliance
- DisOrienting Times: Navigating Change in Church and Organizations (Chalice Press, 2015)
- Going Global: A Congregation’s Introduction to Mission beyond our Borders (Chalice Press, 2011)
- Borderland Churches: A Congregation’s Introduction to Missional Living (Chalice Press, 2009)
- Future Faith Churches: Reconnecting with the Power of the Gospel for the 21st Century (Wood Lake Books, 1997)